Progress of the Triumph

I think one of the reasons why the arrival time is changing is simply due to CBP. That are only at the ports during a set time frame. If a ship for example comes in at say 10pm CBP ( along with Carnivals care team etc)is prob not going to be there as they have other obligations etc. In most cases no big deal. The Dream has done it at least once. Same thing with the stevedores. Even if the ship makes the pier and is tied up how many people onboard are going to do something stupid because CBP isn't there to meet the ship and they have to stay onboard another night? So in the end its easier to slow the tow and park her for a night until everyone is ready for her.

I was only responding to what you said above, which is not the same as what you said in the post below.

What I was trying to point out is that there any number of reasons for the tow to slow. I was using CBP as an example. Another reason could be that one or more of the tugs could need fuel which reduced the number and available power to move the ship where they want it. A predicted change in the weather or currents could be another 1 they may want to avoid for safety reasons. Granted carnival doesn't want those people on the ship any longer than they have to but if it comes down to the safety of staying on the ship a few more hours or risk damaging the ship further or worse hurting a lot of people onboard they're gonna leave them on the ship and play it safe.

I agree with this but it's not what you said before.

I just am surprised that since the first thread was closed down, that anyone would start new ones. That was kind of a hint to me that the subject matter has a way of getting hot.

The people made it hot in the last few pages.......not the subject. The important part here is the people and the facts.....

AKK

I find the discussion interesting, and I have forwarded bits of information from here to others.

Had this been a Disney ship I would expect Disney to charter a dozen commercial airliners and fly the passengers home from Mexico.

Better to spend a million up front than to lose countless millions in the futures because of the damage done to the brand.

Hey there my friend..........PLEASE keep to the topic.infomation on the triumph status and events.

No DCL vs Carnival or the thread will be closed.

AKK

Seems news is a bit qiute right now............at 1600 (400 pm), the best I can find is that they have rerig the tow cable and are underway..........the vessel was about 40 south of Mobile, I don't know if that was the city of Mobile or the opening of the ship channel.

The last I read she was still coming in!

Anyone find anything new?

It's obvious that he understands the process much better than any of our media sources. This morning his information was correct even as CNN etc were reporting old information.

This is a constantly changing story. Having our own EXPERT on board helps me understand what is happening better.

I don't know much about cruising but, why couldnt they have brought another empty ship out to where it is and somehow load th passengers onto said ship. Might be a dumb thought but it has crossed my mind more than once. i guess it would be expensive.

I hope this isn't considered hostile. I just looked at the Carnival website and they have a link for the Triumph with the latest updates. Unfortunately the latest update is from yesterday.

Seeing all that has happened to the Triumph cruise, someone knows what the contingency plan that has the disney cruise if something like this would happen.

Each contingency response is different, based on weather, severity of incident, location, etc. While they probably have some set plans in place, it's impossible to tell just what might happen.

kaseyC said:
I was only responding to what you said above, which is not the same as what you said in the post below.

I agree with this but it's not what you said before.

True. I was in school and wanted to add more but my phone battery was dying. that was was all I could get into the post before my batt was completely dead and break was over. Which is why I said one of... I just never had a chance to add. My apologies.

Sort of an update from CNN

Even after the ship docks tonight or early Friday morning, passengers still will have a while to wait before they can leave.

It could take four to five hours for Carnival to complete the disembarking process, because of the ship's power problems, said Terry Thornton, Carnival senior vice president. The ship has only one working elevator right now, he said.

Thornton says the ship could dock between 10:30 p.m. ET Thursday and 1:30 a.m. ET. Friday.

I don't know much about cruising but, why couldnt they have brought another empty ship out to where it is and somehow load th passengers onto said ship. Might be a dumb thought but it has crossed my mind more than once. i guess it would be expensive.

Its really just way to dangerous in a open sea and massive ships to bring them along side eachother and have people jump from ship to ship as they roll and move.

Remember, these are averae people, not exprienced seamam.

Actually the kids would most likely have the best time doing it!:thumbsup2

AKK

Some of the passengers still have a sense of humor. A group of them got together and spelled out "HELP" with their bodies on the top deck as a helicopter flew over. :rotfl2:

Its really just way to dangerous in a open sea and massive ships to bring them along side eachother and have people jump from ship to ship as they roll and move.

Remember, these are averae people, not exprienced seamam.

Actually the kids would most likely have the best time doing it!:thumbsup2

AKK

I was wondering that too, but I guess that makes sense. Seems like there might be a way to do it safely with life boats? After all, usually the plan with life boats is that another boat will come by and pick up those passengers, they're not actually expected to row to shore unless they happen to be close to one.

I was wondering that too, but I guess that makes sense. Seems like there might be a way to do it safely with life boats? After all, usually the plan with life boats is that another boat will come by and pick up those passengers, they're not actually expected to row to shore unless they happen to be close to one.

Even with a lifeboat it would be hard to step/jump into the lifeboat which would be bouncing and moving about and at a different rate and movement from that of the vessel.

AKK

IA reort that she is getting ready to enter the bay or at least approaching it.

The tugboat Resolve Pioneer was pull/lead boat, (doing the towing) when she had a mechcanical breakdown on the tow winch and the cable broke. She has been released.

The tugboats, Roland A Falgout, Hawk and 1 or 2 more boats are going to be taking her up the channel.

A note from the terminal, children and handcapped passigners will be the first off the vessel....not sure how that will all work out, taking into account families etc.

AKK

I was watching CNN and it was reported that they are doing some of the customs things on board (since they never ported, no one could bring on bad things or buy anything over the limits anyway), so people might be able to just walk off.

Sounds like most of the interior cabin occupants are on the upper decks as there is no a/c. Those with verandahs are using their own.

There were actually a few reports by people who said it wasnt' that bad, but they admitted it was hard on babies, toddlers and the elderly.

Nancy

DS worked on oil rigs. The people were lowered on rafts from helicopters onto the platforms. I nearly died watching!!!

Now, Tenders would have worked. Was that ever a consideration...one ship to another?

that passengers not expected to disembark until Friday Morning.

...something I think Tonka's Skipper suggested might be the case this morning.

It sounds like it will be a difficult process to get Triumph docked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter