Professor Docking Points

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
I had a class last Monday, it is 3 hours long.
About halfway through, a few of us were informed about the terrorist attacks in Boston. At that point, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on, and I had a family member that was either in the Boston area, or had just left (she travels for work).

I quickly left because at that point, I had a high level of anxiety and wanted to make sure everyone I knew in the area was ok.

Needless to say, my professor refuses to give that days attendance points to those of us that left early. I don't think she understands how some Americans react after a terrorist attack? :sad2:

I'm an adjunct prof, and I can really see both sides of this.
I absolutely understand that you were upset and wanted to check on your family, and I have no problem at all that you left.

That said, just because you chose to leave for very valid reasons, doesn't mean you should get points you didn't earn. You weren't in class for the majority of the time that day, so you clearly didn't participate. Does she give any other "excused absence" points? If she would give you points if you were absent for other legit reasons (death of a family member, illness, etc.) than I think you may have a legit complaint. If it's a black and white issue of "points if you're there, no points if you're not" than that's that.

I assume one days worth of participation points isn't going to make or break your grade. One part of my grading scale is absolutely black or white - no late work accepted. But... that part of the grade is intentionally structred so that missing one or two assignments won't destroy your semester.

Also, as a teacher, one of the first things that popped into my mind is "how exactly did you hear of the bombing in the middle of class?" If someone who wasn't in class physically came into the room and announced it, that makes sense. I'm guessing, though, that a few of you were informed via phones or computers that were being used to check facebook or email or cnn.com, rather than being fully engaged in class. That right there would be enough for me to deduct participation points.

I'm with the Professor on this. Their class, their rules.

Not criticizing you for leaving, do what you have to do. But the professor has every right to dock you.

I always try to think of these kinds of situations in terms of what would happen if this particular scenario played out in the workplace.

If I had left work to check on a family member in this situation, my employer would allow me to go, but I would either not get paid or have to use personal time to cover the time I was away. That is the consequence of my choice to leave.

If I were you, since I was not in any danger personally, I would have stayed in class, and discretely tried to contact my family member. If I needed to call or text, I would have probably stepped into the hall to make a quick call, and then returned to class.

The points were for the evaluation of the professor we gave at the beginning of the class, instead of the quiz.

We have a break during this class, I found out when I was checking my phone during that time.

I also have 2 close family members that are professors. The regular gamut of excuses given to them by people who are about to become professionals is unbelievable. What ends up happening is that because of the dishonesty of a few, policies have to be made that are rigid.
She may even want to give you the points but how can she when she thinks your reason is valid but Sally is lying about having the same reason for leaving? Then she either has to excuse you and get in a a bunch of trouble for denying Sallyliarpants or reward Sallyliarpants too for nothing.

It's frustrating for everyone and honestly, I think her decision is justified.

About halfway through, a few of us were informed about the terrorist attacks in Boston. At that point, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on, and I had a family member that was either in the Boston area, or had just left (she travels for work).

I quickly left because at that point, I had a high level of anxiety and wanted to make sure everyone I knew in the area was ok.

Needless to say, my professor refuses to give that days attendance points to those of us that left early. I don't think she understands how some Americans react after a terrorist attack? :sad2:
I understand why you left, but I see the professor's point. You can explain your reasoning to her, but don't be surprised if she doesn't grant you the points.

I always try to think of these kinds of situations in terms of what would happen if this particular scenario played out in the workplace.

If I had left work to check on a family member in this situation, my employer would allow me to go, but I would either not get paid or have to use personal time to cover the time I was away. That is the consequence of my choice to leave.
I was thinking the same thing. Depending on the industry and supervisors you have you could lose your job by simply walking out in the middle of a shift.

If I were you, since I was not in any danger personally, I would have stayed in class, and discretely tried to contact my family member. If I needed to call or text, I would have probably stepped into the hall to make a quick call, and then returned to class.
:thumbsup2

Attendance points were available. You were not in attendance. You don't get that days points. Simple really.

With a rule like this your professor doesn't have to understand how any Americans feel about anything. You professor doesn't have to judge how Americans react to anything. This doesn't mean your professor has feelings one way or the other about terrorist attacks. None of your personal issues has anything to do with attendance points being available if you are in attendance.

Sorry you were worried and felt like you had to leave but this is part of being an adult. It doesn't matter why you did not stay for class, you did not stay so you shouldn't get credit for being there.

I don't have a problem with the professor doing that, unless your class happened to have been in the Boston area and there were a large number of students who might have been affected by it personally.

Yes, you weren't sure what was going on and you were worried and preoccupied, but what were you really doing to do if you were far away? You were going to probably make phone calls and worry (thats what I would do, at least). You could have left class for a moment, made the phone calls and gone back to class and waited for a text or voice mail. Far away, you weren't going to go to the family member in Boston and search for them or something. Obiously if you stayed, you would have been distracted and maybe not getting as much out of the class as you would if you were paying full attention with a clear mind. But the professor can't make exceptions for every thing that happens or someone would have an excuse for not losing the points during every class. Where should he draw the line?

I think this is a wonderful way to look at it. Pretend school is your job (because it is! lol) If an employer wouldn't pay you to not be there, then a prof shouldn't be expected to "pay" you (in points) to not be there either. He didn't dock you points you earned already, so you shouldn't consider it a punishment. He just didn't award points not earned.

I think (and I'm not singling you out OP) that the sooner young adults come to this realization, the easier the transition from school to the workforce will be. :)
Gosh, I know that sounded condescending, I don't mean it that way. I probably could have worded it better, but it's not coming to me right now!!! Sorry!! :worried:

Did you get a syllabus the first day of class? What does it say about attendance, excused/unexcused absences, etc?

Unsure where you are going w/ the comment about 'Americans.' Many countries have been hit by terrorism...and looking back to college, I had lots of foreign professors and I don't think any blanket statements can be made about compassion/reactions in that type of situation based on nationality (and I was college on Sept 11, 2001.)

I don't have a problem with the professor doing that, unless your class happened to have been in the Boston area and there were a large number of students who might have been affected by it personally.

Yes, you weren't sure what was going on and you were worried and preoccupied, but what were you really doing to do if you were far away? You were going to probably make phone calls and worry (thats what I would do, at least). You could have left class for a moment, made the phone calls and gone back to class and waited for a text or voice mail. Far away, you weren't going to go to the family member in Boston and search for them or something. Obiously if you stayed, you would have been distracted and maybe not getting as much out of the class as you would if you were paying full attention with a clear mind. But the professor can't make exceptions for every thing that happens or someone would have an excuse for not losing the points during every class. Where should he draw the line?

I agree with this completely.

Which is it? Are they attendance points, or points got an activity you completed during the first half of the class?

^^This exactly.

During 911 I found out about the attacks on my way into work. Once I got there we all listened to the radio and passed on any new information to our fellow co-workers but were quickly told by our boss to get back to work. This was in Omaha, NE right by Offutt Air Force Base where the president was immediately taken. We listened all day to Air Force fighter jets flying overhead even tho we all knew there was no flying allowed at the time. It was VERY scary but I did not find out a lot about the attacks until I got home that night after 5 PM. That is how some workplaces handle these type of events.

Why do you care? It's three points that are probably just a percentage of your grade. Unless it makes a difference between letter grades, don't worry about it. You told your professor why you left, so they know and unless she's a jerk, she probably won't lower your final grade if those three attendance points are the only difference between an A and a B.

Starting a thread on here isn't going to solve the problem. I think all of us understand why you left, but we can't change the professor's mind about her grading system.

I can see both sides, too, but would probably give you a pass or a way to make it up if I were the professor. Class rules are important but they don't really take into account extraordinary events such as terrorism.

My husband was in college at a major university when the Kent State shootings happened. That coupled with the expansion of the war at roughly the same time led to student demonstrations and strikes all over the country. It was during exams at my DH's university and about 1/2 the students didn't take them and many professors didn't give them. Ultimately, the faculty council decided to give students credit for the semester and left it up to professors whether they computed grades with what they had up to that date or had the students to take the exams later. There were some professors who weren't happy with that decision, but more felt it was the only thing that could be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter