• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Professional make up sessions - recommendations

Tinkermommy

<font color=deeppink>Not too exciting but we all c
My daughter would like a make-up session for her birthday. She wants someone to teach her the correct way to do make up (especially contouring).

I know Sephora does this but not sure how good a session it is. I have had "mini" ones there and it's hit or miss depending on who you get and how busy they are.

I am willing to pay and of course I will give her money to buy some products.

Any recommendations?

Sephora did dd's make up for prom. We went in a few weeks ahead and made an appointment. The "complete make over" was free if you buy $50 of products which consisted of one lipstick and one mascara!!

Mac also does the same thing.

They both do a great job here.

We never tried Sephora but Mac does a terrific job. Sephora probably does too but try to maybe get a recommendation from someone you know who may have used your local Sephora for this. At least with Sephora, you will have access to all the product lines but Mac is just going to use Mac products (nothing wrong with that).

GO to yoru local larger departmetn store - like Dillards, Nordstroms, Macy's etc...

I have had the best luck with Clinique - they will do makeovers and lessons -

Also, Bare Minerals is another good one

I did this for my DD at the local salon. They had a special that did teen make up instructions along with skin care and cleansing. They had products for purchase as well plus she got 20 minutes with an esthetician(sp?) who gave her a quick facial and instructions on how to remove makeup and wash your face every day etc.

I echo the salon/local spa suggestion. It's more private (you aren't sitting it a chair in the middle of a mall with shoppers milling around). Plus I've noticed they aren't focused on making a sale for further products and talk more about skincare and techniques.

I've had this done several times at various places. Never done Sephora, but have had it done at MAC at few times and have been happy with it. Both times it was the MAC counter inside Macy's, not a MAC store. I've also had this done at the Bobbi Brown counter and Stila counter at Nordstrom and really liked both, especially Bobbi Brown. My worst one was the Estee Lauder counter at Macy's. Also, Ulta will do it as well and the girls who work at the Benefit counter are trained by Benefit and very good as well. I get my eyebrows waxed by them!

Maybe it's because I've never asked them to, but none of these places have ever taught or explained anything to me. They'd do the makeup and show me the product, which I would buy if I liked them. If you're looking for more of an instructional setting, chances are that spas or salons in your area will do this. Mary Kay will do this too, but I'd say the quality of that depends on the consultant.

There are also freelance makeup artists around that will come to you. Many of them work for places like MAC and Sephora, but will freelance for things like prom, weddings, etc. I just hired one to come to my hotel on my wedding day to do my makeup. Someone like this may be willing to teach as they go.

I did this for my dd's birthday a few years ago. I think she was 14. I had my hairdresser and a friend come over. They're both makeup artists as well and also pretty young (late 20's). They did a great job explaining things and also did the girls hair. There were 4 girls and I paid $50 each.

Sephora, as well as counters at departments stores will do this. Let them know ahead of time, she's looking to learn, not just wanting a makeover (which is what a lot of people usually want, so you don't want to them to skip the teaching part). Also go in being able to mention a few specific things she'd like to learn, how to apply foundation naturally or how to apply school appropriate eye make up. That way they don't start rambling on about contouring or strobing or any of the "trendy" things happening now.

Clinique in particular will do a half face, where they'll show a technique on one half the face and let you try to duplicate it.

If you have any friends that buy make up, see if they have recommendations on a person in particular that they like dealing with :)

Look at the person you're considering to demonstrate makeup application. I've seen many people behind makeup counters who didn't choose a natural looking color for their skin, didn't blend well and over applied everything. Just take time to look at their "look".

What I did a few Christmases ago was contact a local beauty school. Three of my co-workers joined me, and we got our middle school aged daughters a class on applying makeup. It was something like 2 hours, and $15 per kid-- a total bargain!

They left there knowing that less can be more; they looked totally natural. The school recommended products they could afford-- stuff you could get at Target or CVS.

I did a make up lesson at a high end salon/spa in my town as a Christmas present to myself a few years ago. I had been doing my makeup the same way for thirty years and thought some changes night be in order. I went in with a clean face (no makeup) just to see what she would do. The skin care expert started with skin cleaning and moved to makeup. The whole thing took an hour. The biggest change was that she used a liquid eyeliner rather than a pencil and a more neutral lipstick. Other than that I looked about the same. I did buy some of the makeup products though and still use them today ( I just stop by for refills). I also still use liquid liner. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommended it to others.

We have a local spa where you can do this for a fee. I guess just ask around and see what local businesses will "do" the makeup and ask about a lesson. I would make sure it is a place that actually sells makeup application as a service rather than just a business trying to sell make up.

I have nothing to add except to say that I always read the title as professional make out session LOL

That's a bit tricky since there isn't just one right way to do make up anymore. It depends on if she wants a natural look, a more bold look, a more grown-up look, a fun look, etc. Department stores give a more traditional adult "working woman" or (if badly done) "grandma" look. Stores like MAC do a more edgy look. Perhaps check out some local salons or cosmetology schools. I get make up tips from my local salon. I like big, bright, bold and basically the opposite of "age-appropriate" so I go to a salon that specializes in that look. Try Googling salons with make up in your area or just make up artists.

If all else fails, you can have a make up party with friends with YouTube videos. Honestly, you'll get better advice there and there are a ton of looks to choose from so she can find her style :)

Buzzfeed has some good articles comparing some different make up counters and their looks, here's one:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ninamohan/...s-and-this-i?utm_term=.uj1ZYZDdWB#.cxLAZAvgEm

Dare I say it? I would SO love to get Mrs. Tex into something like this without her realizing what it was and getting defensive about it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter