Professional Internship Spring 2012

Hi, I have applied for several Professional Internships and have been told I "am no longer being considered" for any of them. I am currently a college junior, however, I am 53 years old. I am willing to take the pay cut, have a home in Florida where I can reside, and can take a leave of absence from my current job. Does anyone know if there are certain criteria which I am not meeting due to my age.

My dream has always been to work for Disney and I even applied, in person, back in 1984, when I was a Director of Purchasing for a major corporation. At the time, without internet, etc., it was very difficult to apply for a job long distance. I was hoping things might be different now.

I would appreciate any information anyone may be able to provide me. Is there anyone out there that is even close to my age?

Thanks.

Things are different regarding applying to jobs. Its easier and allows anyone to apply with the internet available. But then that's the thing. It's open to everyone with internet access and that's a lot of people. Now, its more about standing out.

I got past disneycareers on my first application. All I did was print out a 15x20 envelop with my brand identity and submitted everything through snail mail. While it may have costed some money (about $45 dollars between all the materials) it was worth it to stand out. I'm guessing doing this is what makes me more of an appealing applicant. ...

Things are different regarding applying to jobs. Its easier and allows anyone to apply with the internet available. But then that's the thing. It's open to everyone with internet access and that's a lot of people. Now, its more about standing out.

I got past disneycareers on my first application. All I did was print out a 15x20 envelop with my brand identity and submitted everything through snail mail. While it may have costed some money (about $45 dollars between all the materials) it was worth it to stand out. I'm guessing doing this is what makes me more of an appealing applicant. ...

I don't know that I would go that far... with everything moving digital, it's a lot more convenient for people to deal with everything in a digital format. I know last year when I interviewed, they asked for a physical portfolio, then all the hiring managers had to meet in one room to do the interviews. This year it was all done via conference call and they requested digital portfolios so all the different managers across property can view it at once on their computers during the call.

A physical portfolio is great to take with you networking and on interviews, but you should also have a digital version, too. Twice I've had my portfolio requested, and both times it was "highly preferable" that it be in digital format.

Thanks for the input. Since I am an English major with a teaching certification, I am looking for a position in the Disney Institute area. I would like to be involved with corporate training and have applied to those plus other positions.

I will be patient and try again next season.

There are other internships available. This is my 3rd season applying. I will keep applying until they say yes. Some internships are even year round, so just keep looking until you find the perfect one. I have applied for several this term, and the ones I didnt qualify for went NLIC quickly, there is ONE I am still in the running for for sure (Post Interview Stage), and I am still on the wait list for the college program. So keep applying, don't give up.

:) Never give up, never surrender :)

-=Jamie=-

I don't know that I would go that far... with everything moving digital, it's a lot more convenient for people to deal with everything in a digital format. I know last year when I interviewed, they asked for a physical portfolio, then all the hiring managers had to meet in one room to do the interviews. This year it was all done via conference call and they requested digital portfolios so all the different managers across property can view it at once on their computers during the call.

A physical portfolio is great to take with you networking and on interviews, but you should also have a digital version, too. Twice I've had my portfolio requested, and both times it was "highly preferable" that it be in digital format.

Yep. They called me to make sure I filled out the online application and submitted an online portfolio. Though, I heard from my professors that going snail mail goes a long way even if they ask for digital. Especially if its print, typically they want to see how well the design from the computer screen got translated onto paper.

Just checked my dashboard and it still has the "interviewing" status on it. I have had 2 interviews so far and the request for background email. I agree with what someone on here already said that no news is good news. I would fully expect we all know by the end of this week. :goodvibes

There are other internships available. This is my 3rd season applying. I will keep applying until they say yes. Some internships are even year round, so just keep looking until you find the perfect one. I have applied for several this term, and the ones I didnt qualify for went NLIC quickly, there is ONE I am still in the running for for sure (Post Interview Stage), and I am still on the wait list for the college program. So keep applying, don't give up.

:) Never give up, never surrender :)

-=Jamie=-

I won't give up. I continue to look for new openings. Regular positions also. My daughter is starting the college program in January. I am happy for her. It is more important that she gets it than me right now. I just keep applying and keeping my fingers crossed. Still in submission stage in a few.

Thanks for the input. Since I am an English major with a teaching certification, I am looking for a position in the Disney Institute area. I would like to be involved with corporate training and have applied to those plus other positions.

Hi Diane9945,

I am currently an intern with the Disney Institute (DI) and am working toward my Master of Science in Instructional and Performance Technology and have 13 years of Information Technology experience (relocated for husband's job). My fellow intern also has her Master's degree and based on this trend, appears to be a preference for DI. I'm 37, so I'm definitely not one of the younger interns and there are 2 others here in their early 30's in sales operations.

Do you have the contact information of the manager you interviewed with? If so, I would ask what skills they are looking for and you can begin working on improving those skills while waiting for the next application round to begin.

If you have specific questions, feel free to send me a private message.

Has anyone else gotten to the Post interview stage on the Dashboard? I have done second interviews for 3 different PI's. Two of them still say interview stage, but one says post interview and I wasnt sure what that meant.

Thanks! And congrats to those of you who have already been accepted!!

Has anyone else gotten to the Post interview stage on the Dashboard? I have done second interviews for 3 different PI's. Two of them still say interview stage, but one says post interview and I wasnt sure what that meant.

Thanks! And congrats to those of you who have already been accepted!!

Post interview is a good thing! It means you are still an active candidate. I had been n "Post interview" stage for a few weeks, and just got my acceptance call today. So good luck, and fingers crossed!!!

-=Jamie=-

I'm in Post Interview Stage, too! My interviewers told me I wouldn't hear back til December, so I know I have a while to wait, but it's nice to know I'm still in the running!

I'm in Post Interview Stage, too! My interviewers told me I wouldn't hear back til December, so I know I have a while to wait, but it's nice to know I'm still in the running!

Good luck! I thought I had to wait till december, but like I said it could be sooner. *FINGERS CROSSED for you*

Post interview is a good thing! It means you are still an active candidate. I had been n "Post interview" stage for a few weeks, and just got my acceptance call today. So good luck, and fingers crossed!!!

-=Jamie=-

Thanks for that info. I actually just got my acceptance call this afternoon. :)
Congrats on your acceptance, also!!!

Congrats everyone! If you have facebook you should join the PI Spring 2012 group. I cannot post the link because I have not made 10 posts yet :( I tried to put the link in the title of the post, hope that works!

Hello everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. I still have 1 more semester of classes before I will be able to go back to Disney. I was a CP in the Spring of 2011. Can someone tell me where I can find a general list of all the PIs I can apply for? I have been on the website but I really do not like the layout of the site now! I'm getting a little frustrated with it. Also, does anyone know if there are options to start a PI during the summer?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

~Ashley

Sad face. I got rejected.

Can anyone tell me if they have a summer semester?

*SAD FACE* As far as I know there are some summer programs. But there are also other internships you can apply for, I applied for bunch and was accepted for one. So just keep applying. The Fall semester opens up or applying in Jan/Feb. *HUGZ* and best wishes!!

*FINGERS CROSSES for next semester*

Hello everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. I still have 1 more semester of classes before I will be able to go back to Disney. I was a CP in the Spring of 2011. Can someone tell me where I can find a general list of all the PIs I can apply for? I have been on the website but I really do not like the layout of the site now! I'm getting a little frustrated with it. Also, does anyone know if there are options to start a PI during the summer?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

~Ashley
Hey Ash,
have you tried?
http://profinterns.disneycareers.com/en/internship-areas/overview/the disney

good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter