Professional Internship Spring 2012

Hello all fellow potential Spring 2012 PIs.

I'm so glad I found this discussion board. I am extremely anxious to find out if I get the PI I applied for. I am a senior graphic arts and design major and I applied for the Graphic Design Communications internship at the end of September. I had put together a physical portfolio and sent them that and got a phone screening three days later after I applied online and had the interview at the beginning of october.

I still haven't heard anything from them and am anxious as hell! :P

Partly because my life at college next semester solely depends on if I get this internship or not. I've had a bit of a scheduling fiasco as I had taken two summer courses and only one of the credits got transferred over and learned that I am also a quarter unit short.

I haven't gotten a rejection letter or heard anything from them, so I'm hoping this is a good sign. Also I'm someone who reads into the littlest things (i'm a mystic) and this past week there has been dozens of lady bugs in my suite at college (the dorm is new so my suitemates and I are confused as to why they keep appearing), but so many positive signs are popping up, I hope the result will be positive!

Grr, so soon too!

Called today to ask about when we may be hearing about alumni only PIs. I did this because I have another offer for a different internship somewhere else. He said the latest is early December, but "You should hear way before that anyways"
That kinda gives me hope that we may be hearing really soon.

I think I'm going to be getting my own housing too. However, I've spent a lot of time in the Kissimmee/Orlando area and I think I'm going to look for a place closer to Orlando. Even though it's somewhat of a commute, there's more going on in Orlando and it's just a little nicer in general in my opinion.

Hi Megan! Congrats!

I also would be interested in this. What were you thinking of?

Hello all fellow potential Spring 2012 PIs.

I'm so glad I found this discussion board. I am extremely anxious to find out if I get the PI I applied for. I am a senior graphic arts and design major and I applied for the Graphic Design Communications internship at the end of September. I had put together a physical portfolio and sent them that and got a phone screening three days later after I applied online and had the interview at the beginning of october.

I still haven't heard anything from them and am anxious as hell! :P

I'm up for the same internship, and it's the internship I had previously. I interviewed around the same time and received my documents request on the 23rd of October, but haven't heard anything back since then.

I know this particular internship is kind of weird, since they need some purely print comm interns, some purely graphics interns, and some that can do both, but they're all lumped together under "Communications" intern. Graphics and print are all interviewed by the same panel of people. When I did it, there were about 12 different positions open. I was with Entertainment, while there was an intern for each different park, sports and resorts, etc. That varies every semester as far as which interns have extended, so there may be more or less spots this go around.

As far as my last leader said about the selection process, all the hiring managers sit in on a conference call during the interviews, then at the end of all the interviews each manager ranks their top three interns and they regroup to discuss who goes where. If more than one department selects the same intern they have to redivvy them up. I had expected to hear back sooner, but no news is good news as all but one of my other applications have dropped out of consideration. I'm still in "post-interview stage" so I'm happy with that for now. You should know either way before Thanksgiving.

And on a personal note, this was the HARDEST interview ever, coming up with an answer to tough questions and having it met with dead silence. I've done it two different times and the second time it was only slightly easier. I had another interview for a Public Relations role that was also a panel but very chatty and friendly and I was like, oh my gosh why couldn't have Communications been like that?

Anyway, good luck, and if you do get the internship and have any questions let me know! The Communications team (Internal Communications, technically) is a WONDERFUL family.

Hi Megan! Congrats!

I also would be interested in this. What were you thinking of?

Be careful living too far out from the LBV area. Anything past the 1-4 Millennia exit, especially downtown or on the other side of downtown, you're looking at an hour of traffic every morning easy.

So there has been a lot of Dashboard movement today. On the facebook group a lot of people went into No Longer in Consideration and several other people received offers via phone calls. Looks like things are moving along at least. I'm now officially NLIC for two out of my four. Hopefully I can know by next week...I just want to know either way. Waiting is the hardest part... Good luck to everyone, hope you're receiving good news!

Good Luck to everyone, hopefully we'll all be happy within the next week!

Does anyone know if Disney calls on weekends?

I'm up for the same internship, and it's the internship I had previously. I interviewed around the same time and received my documents request on the 23rd of October, but haven't heard anything back since then.

I know this particular internship is kind of weird, since they need some purely print comm interns, some purely graphics interns, and some that can do both, but they're all lumped together under "Communications" intern. Graphics and print are all interviewed by the same panel of people. When I did it, there were about 12 different positions open. I was with Entertainment, while there was an intern for each different park, sports and resorts, etc. That varies every semester as far as which interns have extended, so there may be more or less spots this go around.

As far as my last leader said about the selection process, all the hiring managers sit in on a conference call during the interviews, then at the end of all the interviews each manager ranks their top three interns and they regroup to discuss who goes where. If more than one department selects the same intern they have to redivvy them up. I had expected to hear back sooner, but no news is good news as all but one of my other applications have dropped out of consideration. I'm still in "post-interview stage" so I'm happy with that for now. You should know either way before Thanksgiving.

And on a personal note, this was the HARDEST interview ever, coming up with an answer to tough questions and having it met with dead silence. I've done it two different times and the second time it was only slightly easier. I had another interview for a Public Relations role that was also a panel but very chatty and friendly and I was like, oh my gosh why couldn't have Communications been like that?

Anyway, good luck, and if you do get the internship and have any questions let me know! The Communications team (Internal Communications, technically) is a WONDERFUL family.

Thank you for this information!
Not sure if I'll be getting a second interview because the lady I spoke to had said I had completed a lot of the application already before the initial phone screening. I had sent in physical portfolio pieces, and printed everything else. I literally printed out a large 15x20 envelope and put my transcript, resume, and portfolio pieces in one package (I was worried about things getting lost).

What do you mean post interview stage? The status on my dashboard just says "Interview Stage" and I'm not sure if that's there just because it was updated when I had the interview.

So anxious! I mean I hope that since I'm waiting this long, that's probably a good thing (no rejection letter or acceptance letter yet, so...)

I figured I'd join the club and post on here. I figure if I'm so interested by everyone else's stories and getting internships, maybe someone will be interested in mine. Maybe. :)

I applied for five internships. Two have gone NLIC (one like less than a week after my initial interview, and the other today).

Wednesday I got an email from someone asking me to set up a phone interview. I saw nothing on my dashboard (I have yet to see anything else on my dashboard change, actually), but I set up the interview for yesterday. It was for Guest Correspondence. He asked me a few questions, basically learning a little more about me and how exactly I'd fit into the role. Then asked if I had any questions and told me I'd be notified "soon" (gosh I hate that word! haha).

Today, I came home to another email. I think it's the one everyone else has been getting where it's asking me for my background info. Just a link to fill out some form. I have no idea if it's related to the Guest Correspondence interview I had yesterday. In a way I'm hoping it is, because I reeeeally want that internship. In another way I kind of don't because I also reeeally want the Guest Relations or Cast Deployment Internships which are the only other two that I'm still in the running for. I just can't decide!

The good news is that if everything falls through I got accepted on my extension in the program (Merch). So at least I have a minimum wage job! A Bachelor's degree and a minimum wage job. Goodness I love my life! Haha! Actually I think it's just that I love Disney!

Monday can't come soon enough!

Today, I came home to another email. I think it's the one everyone else has been getting where it's asking me for my background info. Just a link to fill out some form. I have no idea if it's related to the Guest Correspondence interview I had yesterday. In a way I'm hoping it is, because I reeeeally want that internship. In another way I kind of don't because I also reeeally want the Guest Relations or Cast Deployment Internships which are the only other two that I'm still in the running for. I just can't decide!

After I filled out the document, my dashboard changed to Post-Interview Stage (not immediately, but within a couple hours, and probably by like 6 pm EST). I'm not up for multiple positions like you are, but I definitely recommend checking your dashboard regularly! It is the most accurate way to figure out where you are for each position.

What do you mean post interview stage? The status on my dashboard just says "Interview Stage" and I'm not sure if that's there just because it was updated when I had the interview.

So anxious! I mean I hope that since I'm waiting this long, that's probably a good thing (no rejection letter or acceptance letter yet, so...)

I'm pretty sure people are only being notified of acceptances via phone call. Keep checking your dashboard to see your progress. You're not going to receive a rejection letter; if you are rejected, your dashboard will change to NLIC.

After I filled out the document, my dashboard changed to Post-Interview Stage (not immediately, but within a couple hours, and probably by like 6 pm EST). I'm not up for multiple positions like you are, but I definitely recommend checking your dashboard regularly! It is the most accurate way to figure out where you are for each position.

I'm pretty sure people are only being notified of acceptances via phone call. Keep checking your dashboard to see your progress. You're not going to receive a rejection letter; if you are rejected, your dashboard will change to NLIC.

RE: Checking dashboard. This may be true, but I've also read some departments don't update there's as regularly.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but for accuracy's sake, everyone should know that there are people who went NLIC after filling out the "Documents to be completed" email/dashboard stage. It does mean that you're moving along in the consideration process but not necessarily that you will be offered a role.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but for accuracy's sake, everyone should know that there are people who went NLIC after filling out the "Documents to be completed" email/dashboard stage. It does mean that you're moving along in the consideration process but not necessarily that you will be offered a role.

What if you haven't gotten that email yet?

What if you haven't gotten that email yet?

As long as your dashboard does not say "No Longer in Consideration" then you are still in the running. Casting says "No news is good news." I was just making a point that people need to be prepared for either outcome if they get that email.

Hi Everyone!

So, this is my first time on the message boards. I am currently on the "Post Interview Stage" on one of my internship applications; and on the wait-list for the college program. I have applied for quite a few internships, some were "No longer in consideration" right away, others are still in the submission stage. I am very nervous and excited.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
-Jamie

As long as your dashboard does not say "No Longer in Consideration" then you are still in the running. Casting says "No news is good news." I was just making a point that people need to be prepared for either outcome if they get that email.

Thanks!

Thank you for this information!
Not sure if I'll be getting a second interview because the lady I spoke to had said I had completed a lot of the application already before the initial phone screening. I had sent in physical portfolio pieces, and printed everything else. I literally printed out a large 15x20 envelope and put my transcript, resume, and portfolio pieces in one package (I was worried about things getting lost).

My process was a bit weird... the day after I sent in my digital portfolio pieces the Comm department called me directly to schedule a panel interview with them, before I'd even taken my initial phone screening yet. My phone screen had been set up for a Sunday, and I believe they called me the Wednesday or Thursday to set up an interview for the following week. So in my phone screen the woman didn't ask me anything about that particular internship or have access to any of my portfolio pieces, which was strange to me, because the first time I interviewed for the role I discussed my design/writing skills during both interviews.

My dashboard for the Comm internship stayed "In progress" for the longest time, after all of the others moved on to "Interview Stage. Then it updated to "Interview stage" when they sent the documents request, and then "Post-Interview stage" a few days after I'd completed the form.

But interview stage is still good, all of mine at this point that I didn't have a second interview for dropped off. And acceptance will definitely be a call, probably by a restricted number, since Casting is unlisted.

Good Luck to everyone, hopefully we'll all be happy within the next week!

Does anyone know if Disney calls on weekends?

As far as I know, they don't, but they aren't completely within the 9-5 timeframe during the week. When my offer came last year (on a Wednesday), we played phone tag all day because I was working merch, but I KNEW it was the offer bc the voicemail said she was from Casting and wanted to talk about one of the internships I'd applied for. I was resigned to not getting ANY sleep and just having to wait until the next day, but she called around 7:30 EST and offered the role.

Hi, I have applied for several Professional Internships and have been told I "am no longer being considered" for any of them. I am currently a college junior, however, I am 53 years old. I am willing to take the pay cut, have a home in Florida where I can reside, and can take a leave of absence from my current job. Does anyone know if there are certain criteria which I am not meeting due to my age.

My dream has always been to work for Disney and I even applied, in person, back in 1984, when I was a Director of Purchasing for a major corporation. At the time, without internet, etc., it was very difficult to apply for a job long distance. I was hoping things might be different now.

I would appreciate any information anyone may be able to provide me. Is there anyone out there that is even close to my age?

Thanks.

Hi, I have applied for several Professional Internships and have been told I "am no longer being considered" for any of them. I am currently a college junior, however, I am 53 years old. I am willing to take the pay cut, have a home in Florida where I can reside, and can take a leave of absence from my current job. Does anyone know if there are certain criteria which I am not meeting due to my age.

My dream has always been to work for Disney and I even applied, in person, back in 1984, when I was a Director of Purchasing for a major corporation. At the time, without internet, etc., it was very difficult to apply for a job long distance. I was hoping things might be different now.

I would appreciate any information anyone may be able to provide me. Is there anyone out there that is even close to my age?

Thanks.

When I had my internship there was another intern in my department who was a mother with two kids and had relocated to FL to take the job. She was at least in her 40s. As long as you are enrolled in college and meet the job skills, there isn't anything barring you because of your age. She ended up working in Costuming or Creative Design or something. I'm not sure what exactly her role was, but she worked in Creative Entertainment with me. I'm not sure what roles you are looking at, but I also know there were some older interns in other departments, like the Conservation Education presenters at Epcot and DAK.

Some of the internships require you be a Senior level or have prior Disney experience, but mostly they are just very very hard to get. Most of these roles get upwards of 600 applicants per position, someone even said the Weddings one had apps in the thousands. Just looking at the numbers of roles vs. applicants, the vast majority of people are going to get rejected.

I'd say just keep trying. If you're interested in the College Program internships, they also had several older people, there were probably 8-9 the semester I worked there. The program was accommodating so that they didn't room with all the college kids, they had their own one bedroom apartments in the Disney complexes, or they had their own housing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter