• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Professional Internship Spring 2012

Hi all! My name is Jamie and I'm an alumni of the College Program, and I was a Communication Professional Intern last spring. A little about me, I graduated in May of 2010 with a degree in Mass Comm/PR, did a CP in Merchandise the following fall, then got my PI that spring. Currently I'm applying again for the spring because it seriously was amazing.

I popped in to answer a couple of the questions I've seen- forgive me if they've already been answered, and feel free to ask me for follow-up or if there's something else you'd like to ask. I know I didn't have anyone to ask about my PI when it was my turn, and the process isn't explained too well. Now that I've been there and done that all my friends are asking me questions constantly. So I'll just touch on a few points I've seen asked. I'll come back to answer more about housing, living, etc., but the point on everyone's mind seems to be...

THE APPLICATION/INTERVIEW PROCESS: So here goes my experience.

This year is the first year that they've implemented the Dashboard. It's handy in some aspects, not so much in other. Keep in mind that some departments will use it a lot, some won't at all. I currently have a second interview set up that's not documented through the dashboard- if you applied for an internship that asked for your resume/transcript directly, your dashboard may not be updated, so you don't have to freak out or constantly refresh.

As far as I know, EVERYONE should get an initial interview. This is set up through email and is a screening, like the college program initial interview. NOTE: The dashboard will say it's only for one particular position, but this interview will cover everything you applied for, so make sure you give lots of diverse examples and really highlight all your experience. It may be the only interview you get, so make it good for ALL the roles you applied for. Questions are fairly generic but a lot more than if you've had a College Program interview. Will ask about how you work on a team, specific examples of where you overcame challenges, your skills, etc. Some role-specific, so be prepared for that too.

95% of resumes never touch the actual internship departments. This initial interview weeds out a lot. If you are a strong candidate, your information will be forwarded on by the interviewer to the specific departments.

Then the departments will view all applications, and further narrow them down from there. It's up to the area, but several will have a second panel interview, where 4-5 (or more) hiring managers sit in on one phone interview. Some will just offer the job based on resume and initial screen results. (This happened to my roommate, in an Animal Programs role.) It just depends. Some will start offering in October, some will wait until late November or right up to the deadline. However, at least in my experience last fall, everything I was rejected from I did get an e-mail saying so.

For the internship I had last time, 500 people applied, roughly 30-40 were interviewed, and about 10-12 of us got a role. There was a social media internship with 600 applicants that had one actual internship position. This will give you an idea of how cut-throat this is. Statistically, you're looking at a a 1-3% likelihood of getting an internship. Obviously this will vary, but keep it in mind. Previous internship experience outside of Disney helps a lot, and also they lean on CP alums. Not exclusively- some departments, like Engineering and Communication are less preferential, but a CP will help in almost every role. Also if you are a CP alum- record cards count. I had zero points on my record card and it was very impressive to my interviewers, so if you can keep your record card as low as possible, the better.

So, I was called to schedule a panel interview, which was the only second interview I was scheduled, and it was rough. The questions were much more intense, and there was literally no feedback from my interviewer. She would ask a question, I would respond, and then she would say, "Okay, thank you," and move on to the next. I ended the call and burst into tears, because it was the most stressful twenty minutes of my entire life. Not trying to be dramatic- just that dead silence between answers killed me. But it's just for efficiency! My boss told me later that they loved my answers and wanted so bad to ask follow-ups, but they didn't have the time for eight people to chime in and ask more questions, they had a strict interview schedule. So if you do get a panel interview, that could happen, so be prepared. And the FIRST question they will ask is "Tell me about yourself" so have an elevator speech prepared. I didn't and that question threw me right off the bat.

After that, the very next day I had a call from a restricted number, which was Casting calling me to offer the role. This is NOT TYPICAL, so don't count on that, just my experience. I also applied right before the deadline and was one of the last in the interview cycle. Ultimately, every department/role runs differently. This is also only for WDW- I know in my professional experience applying for jobs, WDW always sent me rejection emails, but positions I applied for in California did not. Someone above mentioned that, so I wouldn't count on it in CA. Also, CA has a fraction of the number of roles offered in WDW.

I think this mostly covers everything I can think of. Most importantly, be patient, sell your skills, and don't try and be super "Disney positive" and tell them what you think they want to hear. Everyone has crappy jobs and experiences, and that's fine. They want to see how you handle those crappy situations. And be patient, be patient, be patient. Freaking out won't help anything. :)

If you guys have other questions, let me know. And, GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

Thanks for telling up about your experience!

I do have some questions though. I applied for several Animal Programs roles, and then Guest Relations, which is alumni-only. I had a screening interview for the alumni-only role within two days of applying, but my interview told me specifically that it was NOT for the Animal Programs roles, that she didn't know anything about them other than that I applied, and that that department would take care of them separately. Since then I've been asked by AP for a cover letter, transcript, and to fill out questionnaires, and I've had one panel interview for one position (and it was absolutely just as terrifying as you said).

Now my question is: what role did your AP roommate have, and was the initial screening interview the one meant for all positions or just one? I was told in my education presenter interview that it was just for that role, and I know AP only interviews their applicants once per role.

Mostly I'm just freaking out because I really want to get an animal programs role and the fact that they haven't contacted me about the other two positions is really worrisome. But the deadline is soon so maybe I'll be considered once they have a good gauge on the other applicants.

Jamie, thank you SO much for all of that information!! That really does help calm my nerves. Now the agenda for today is to come up with as many questions as possible to prepare for my interview tomorrow!! Thanks again! :)

Jamie, that was both helpful and nerve-wracking, LOL. I'm still waiting to hear but I'm not terribly worried, I'll hear something eventually... and if not, I have the CP as my backup.

I do have some questions though. I applied for several Animal Programs roles, and then Guest Relations, which is alumni-only. I had a screening interview for the alumni-only role within two days of applying, but my interview told me specifically that it was NOT for the Animal Programs roles, that she didn't know anything about them other than that I applied, and that that department would take care of them separately. Since then I've been asked by AP for a cover letter, transcript, and to fill out questionnaires, and I've had one panel interview for one position (and it was absolutely just as terrifying as you said).

Now my question is: what role did your AP roommate have, and was the initial screening interview the one meant for all positions or just one? I was told in my education presenter interview that it was just for that role, and I know AP only interviews their applicants once per role.

Mostly I'm just freaking out because I really want to get an animal programs role and the fact that they haven't contacted me about the other two positions is really worrisome. But the deadline is soon so maybe I'll be considered once they have a good gauge on the other applicants.

I'm currently in an AP role and I might be able to shed some light on your questions.

When I applied last year I was interviewed by my two choices for my AP PI. They were both panel interviews and while different people were interviewing me, the questions were somewhat the same.

AP handles all of their interns separately from the rest of the PIs. They interview their own interns, and it's usually that specific department who is interviewing you.

If you have anymore questions you can let me know!

My roommate had a role as a Conservation Education Presenter. She was originally applying for the Aquarist position and she didn't meet the GPA cap, so they passed her information along and they offered her the Education Presenter role without her ever technically applying/interviewing for that role. It's great that you had that panel interview- definitely not everyone gets those. They'll look at your interview and consider you for all the roles you applied. The department is pretty small, so even if you interviewed with one role they were considering you more heavily for, they'll still consider you for something else if they see you'll fit better someone else.

From what my roommate said her offer came really late. My offer came the 2nd/3rd week of October, but I was one of the first to be accepted. They also will probably wait until the deadline of the 7th has passed to start offering. She got to sit in on internship interviews before she left her role and she said they definitely took their time going through candidates.

I also had two roommates in Guest Relations, and neither of them had a second interview. They had their first screenings, and I believe both of them didn't hear until November, around the Thanksgiving holidays. They didn't hear anything back from GR until they got the call offering the job. So you probably won't hear back unless you get an offer.

It's still REALLY early, so don't start freaking out yet!

Jamie, that was both helpful and nerve-wracking, LOL. I'm still waiting to hear but I'm not terribly worried, I'll hear something eventually... and if not, I have the CP as my backup.

It is nerve-wracking, lol. Just be confident and sell yourself- they know this is a difficult process. And the CP is a good backup! Being in FL for the next round and being able to network and meet-and-greet in the areas you're interested in interning in helps a lot. I wasn't able to during my CP because my start date was so close to the deadline, but if you can go to the networking events and start meeting people it can really help.

I'm currently in an AP role and I might be able to shed some light on your questions.

When I applied last year I was interviewed by my two choices for my AP PI. They were both panel interviews and while different people were interviewing me, the questions were somewhat the same.

AP handles all of their interns separately from the rest of the PIs. They interview their own interns, and it's usually that specific department who is interviewing you.

If you have anymore questions you can let me know!

Hi!
I was wondering a few things since you offered. My first question is how many PIs do they take for each role, specifically for conservation education presenter, both normal and for the seas? How long does it usually take to hear back to set up an interview? I'd imagine there are a lot of people applying for any of the AP positions, but I also read somewhere that if you don't hear back in two weeks to e-mail. Finally, when I am being interviewed, should I assume that it is for all of the animal program jobs?
Thanks in advance for your answers!

Thanks guys! This makes me feel better. I'm just so anxious to find out, but I would much rather get a very late yes than a very early no. My fingers are crossed and will stay crossed until at least November, at which point I may start freaking out a little bit more.

Ugh! So this morning I turned on my computer and had two e-mails from Disney... one was the programs blog e-mail that everyone on the college program thread is complaining about, and the other one was titled "Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings Consultant Internship."

Turns out they were just clarifying a mistake from the application process (they had listed is as a California internship when it was really in Florida- but I already knew that), but my heart nearly jumped out of my chest when I saw it! Still waiting to hear back on some and have my alumni screening interview on Thursday! :)

haha last week I received an email from Disney Professional Internships like a day after my interview and thought they were rejecting me already. It was information i requested earlier about the internships and telling me to apply haha.:worship:

I got the blog email this morning as well and almost had a freak-out moment but then I saw it was the blog thing... highly disappointed.

Is Spring 2012 January - June? What is the term for June - December? And what is the deadline for that?

Thanks

Does anyone have any idea of which internships are super competitive (only letting in one person) and which offer more? Or do many of them only allow 1-2 interns?

Does anyone have any idea of which internships are super competitive (only letting in one person) and which offer more? Or do many of them only allow 1-2 interns?

Typically Fairy Tale Wedding Planning only takes one and is one of the more competitive internship. Other internships may only take one, it all depends on the availability/need within the department.

Man. Today was a Disney-filled day for me (and it's not even noon yet)! I had my Alumni screening interview scheduled for 10:15, and I've been accepted into the cp again! Here's hoping everyone else hears good news as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter