Professional Internship - Fall 2011

I'm currently on a PI and if your training is up to date, you can pick up shifts on Extra Hours. You just can't pick it up if it puts you in double time (less than 8 hours between one day's shift and the following day's shift).

What role are you doing for your PI if you don't mind me asking?

Don't worry, I've see your blog, you were made for one of the wedding planning roles! I'm sure you'll get it!

Thanks! :goodvibes I'm really glad you think so!

If you don't mind me putting, what's your chief and what past practice do you have? If you still have more opening to apply I'd love to advise some thoughts that would craft you a superior entrant for the bridal preparation placement

Thanks, although I'm not exactly sure what you mean. My top role is DFTW Planner.... I'm an event planning major, and have worked on or completely planned varying types of events (including but not limited to my roommate's wedding, a murder mystery fundraiser, and an awards ceremony dinner). The last day to apply is tomorrow, but I've already had my phone interview. I also applied for the CP in case I don't get a position this semester so I can apply for next Spring (although I doubt the DFTW internships will be available - it's been 2 years since they were last available before this semester!)

Does anyone know if PI's are also allowed to work in the parks? I thought I read something somewhere that they could pick up extra hours (at a reduced pay, of course) and work in merch or something.

Has anyone heard of this or completed a PI where they got to work in the parks as well?

To get EHH you have to have had previous Disney training. For instance, I'm trained in F&B, so I could pick up some of those shifts, but I couldn't pick up attractions shifts.

And several management PIs work out in the parks, as well as some engineering ones =D

I'm currently on a PI and if your training is up to date, you can pick up shifts on Extra Hours. You just can't pick it up if it puts you in double time (less than 8 hours between one day's shift and the following day's shift).

What exactly is meant by up to date training? Would I have the opportunity to do this once I start my PI? I didn't do the CP, but I would still love to pick up the extra hours and have the experience! I have some food service/ merch experience... does that help?

I'm a Youth Education Series Facilitator = ) So I teach education programs in Magic Kingdom and Epcot (2 at MK and 1 at Epcot). I love it!

By up to date training, I mean that any of your previous Disney training should be up to date. If you haven't ever worked for Disney, that's okay. You can still pick up shifts on EHH that don't require any special training (like filling soda orders during busy times at quick service places). Some managers may also offer to let you go train in another area for a week too so that you can go seasonal with that department when your PI ends. My manager offered to let me go back to Merch for a few days and retrain so that I could pick up shifts and eventually go seasonal with them (since I can't really go seasonal with YES).

Woodskeeper! I was reading your blog...and I see your Mom owns Gifts of a Lifetime!! How cool!!! I've heard a lot about them!! In fact my travel agent has used them for her personal trips in the past and I know she suggest them to her clients :) Just wanted to say that I've heard of your Mom's company! :cool1:

I am a hotel restaurant management major and cp alum. I am trying for most of the event planning positions, that were open to cp alum. I also tried for the wedding planning position and got a "no thank you" email but I was not surprised by that due to lack of wedding planning experience. I am waiting to hear back on the other positions, I felt good about my interview but not great. Since I am graduating I am nervous, cause this is it when it comes to trying for internship. I am also trying for a college program, as a back up just in case I don't get a PI.

I am a hotel restaurant management major and cp alum. I am trying for most of the event planning positions, that were open to cp alum. I also tried for the wedding planning position and got a "no thank you" email but I was not surprised by that due to lack of wedding planning experience. I am waiting to hear back on the other positions, I felt good about my interview but not great. Since I am graduating I am nervous, cause this is it when it comes to trying for internship. I am also trying for a college program, as a back up just in case I don't get a PI.

I understand the nerves completely!!! I got accepted for Merchandise for the fall, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the PIs. I'm also graduating, so it's really one of those now or never moments. I wish you lots of luck! Which event planning ones did you apply for? My Big did the Cast Activities internship and she now has a salaried position with Cast Recognition!

Keep us updated, and as always, sending pixie dust your way! pixiedust:

I too applied for CP, but I'm also anxiously awaiting news from the PIs. I was accepted as a lifeguard for the Fall, but I've applied for two animal PIs so I'm still waiting.

I'm graduating this year as well. In fact, I'm preparing for my last biology finals ever! I'm looking at this whole experience as no matter what I get I have my foot in the door and I have something to do after school.

Just did my first interview for DAK Conservation Presenter on Thurs, and just applied for my last PI, the Marine Mammal one (had to get scuba certified). Anyone have an idea of what happens if I get offered one PI before I hear anything on the others? I don't want to turn them down, but I don't want to not get my first choice if I accept another first.

Just did my first interview for DAK Conservation Presenter on Thurs, and just applied for my last PI, the Marine Mammal one (had to get scuba certified). Anyone have an idea of what happens if I get offered one PI before I hear anything on the others? I don't want to turn them down, but I don't want to not get my first choice if I accept another first.

First of all, congratulations on the interview! I hope it went well =D

From what I understand they offer you the job and then tell you that you have until XX/XX/XX to accept (Probably May 1). That way if you're still holding out for a different PI you don't have to worry about turning down/losing the opportunity =D

I too applied for CP, but I'm also anxiously awaiting news from the PIs. I was accepted as a lifeguard for the Fall, but I've applied for two animal PIs so I'm still waiting.

I'm graduating this year as well. In fact, I'm preparing for my last biology finals ever! I'm looking at this whole experience as no matter what I get I have my foot in the door and I have something to do after school.

I understand the nerves completely!!! I got accepted for Merchandise for the fall, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the PIs. I'm also graduating, so it's really one of those now or never moments. I wish you lots of luck! Which event planning ones did you apply for? My Big did the Cast Activities internship and she now has a salaried position with Cast Recognition!

Keep us updated, and as always, sending pixie dust your way! pixiedust:

Thanks guys. I heard back on from the college program in less than a week and was offered Attractions again, I have until the 26th to make my a choice on that. I applied for the alum PI positions of Cp Event planning, Cast Member Sports Event Planning, and Cast Member Event/Activies. I wish the best for you two and hope you guys get your PIs. Meh waiting these next few weeks is gonna do a number on my tummy cause I get butterflies everytime I open my email.

I have a question!

Will the same internships open up again next year? I've seen a few internships I want to apply for but I can't right now since I don't graduate until April of next year. When do they open them up again?

Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone know if these internships are just for Americans or can international students apply for them too?

The PI offerings are about the same, but nothing is guaranteed. Some offerings are only in the Fall, some are only in the Spring, and some are only available every few years. I guess you just never know until they're posted =/ I feel like, for the most part, they stay the same, but nothing is guaranteed.

And I'm pretty sure International Students can apply for PIs, but not positive. Still, pretty sure though.

P.S. Does anyone know if these internships are just for Americans or can international students apply for them too?

Hey! I have some experience on this issue so maybe I can shed some light on it. However, I just want to make it clear that this is all subjective and you should really contact Disney cast recruiting directly to get the best information. I have some friends from Europe trying to find internships in the US (not with Disney) and they're facing a whole bunch of legal problems. I found this on the FAQ section of the website:

Q. Are there standard qualifications for internships?

A. Each internship requires that you are at least 18 years of age and are able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Additional requirements are different for each posting. Some require a minimum GPA, grade level completed and/or previous experience on the Disney College Program.

Please reference each individual posting for specific requirements prior to applying.

Basically, if you're not a US citizen you need to get a work visa to work in the US. I'm not 100% sure about it, but I think they can get very expensive and a lot of the cost falls on the company employing you. There is also another crazy law I've heard about restricting the employment of international persons at a US company. It's summarized in saying that to hire an international person for any job, the company must be able to provide reasoning that this person, because of their international status, will perform the job better than a US citizen (usually, this comes down to language skills). Because of this, a lot of firms are hesitant to hire international students for internships/starting positions because the process can be very difficult and expensive. I think Disney gets abides by this by primarily employees international students to work in the EPCOT theme park.

However, Disney might be different since they hire a lot of students through their international program. However, it's more of a CP experience where you'd be working in merch or attractions at EPCOT instead of doing an internship (I understand that you are probably looking for a more professional work-related experience... but EPCOT would be SO much fun!). I recommend you contact the PI program directly, they can give you a much more straightforward answer to your question. I hope this helps... best of luck!

P.S. I had a bunch of helpful links in my post that Dis boards won't let me post since I'm not an active enough member... but you can find contanct info on the PI website. Select "Program overview" and then "FAQ's" and go to the bottome of the page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter