• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Professional Internship - Fall 2011

Aww thanks :hug:

I'm extremely interested in the service for disabilities position, in another life time-I was in Nursing school (and have a pretty stockpiled knowledge base) but above all that, my mother actually runs homes for the developmentally disabled, so I feed off all of her knowledge as well. I'm stoked...because it sounds like a fantastic (and fulfilling) role.

I remember my CP interview, I was giddy. My interviewer and I laughed together during my interview, and I was just being myself and giving the best me possible (especially when its through a phone call).

I've started to rank my PIs in order (because that's a reoccuring question that I've heard mentioned), and writing myself notes so I can reference back to them during the phone call.

I'll be sure to update everyone, I love everyone's excitement :thumbsup2

Good luck! Just had mine today for the conservation roles. They didnt ask me to rank my PI's, but they did ask some challenging questions. Just relax, breathe, and answer the question they ask. A lot of times people will mention everything but answer the question originally asked. Good Luck!

So far I've had one for the conservation at the seas and I have another for the conservation on Thursday. I don't think animal PI's ask you to rank any internships because they handle all of theirs separately.

I applied for Guest Relations, Magic Kingdom Project Support, and Fairy Tale Weddings Planner ((which I can tell is a lost cause, since everyone with WAY more experience than me has gotten rejected!))

So pretty much, I get the feeling that having no customer service or event planning experience is making me a no-go for sure.

I've done 2 CPs, I'm great with people, and I'm qualified for all the positions I applied for. But honestly, all of my work experience has been as a summer camp counselor and Chuck E. Cheese's cashier! Aside from my CPs, of course. But there's no PI I can apply for where those past jobs would come in handy, especially since I'm not an Education major, but rather Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing.

I feel like I have a lot of valuable skills to offer, but nothing I've done formally shows it. For example, I love to write, and English has always been my best subject - but I've never written for a student publication, journalism class, or anything of the sort.

I'm a fountain of knowledge about Walt Disney World, but how much is that really worth in applying for a PI? Just because it says it's advantageous for me to be knowledgeable, doesn't mean it's a top priority.

Anyways, I have my phone interview for the CP-Alum positions ((Guest Relations and MK Project Support)) at 11 AM on Friday.

I'd love some helpful interview tips, and if anyone has any ideas on how I can play myself up during the interview, I'd appreciate it. Guest Relations is by far my number one choice, so what are some ways I can sell myself to that position?

I recently applied for a bunch of PIs and had my interview Monday night. This forum thread really helped me get ready for my interview...so thanks to everyone!

I applied for 4 alumni-only internships along with 7 of the other internship programs. I ended up applying for them around 11:30pm on the 25th, so I had to call the following day to set up my interview for the alumni-only internships. My top five were (1) Disney Youth Programs Social Media & Marketing Internship, (2) Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings & Honeymoons Social Media & Marketing Internship, (3) Casting Media Relations Internship, (4) Disney Institute Public Relations Internship, and (5) College and International Housing - Event Planner.

Much to my surprise, when I woke up at 7:30 the next morning, I had an interview request e-mail sitting in my inbox! When I called to schedule my interviews, I asked the scheduler about which internships I would be interviewed for; her response...the social media ones.

I had the weekend to prepare for my interview. I have a HUGE list of sample questions that I practised responses for (let me know if you want me to send it to you). Then on Monday the 28th, I had my interview. I was not nervous until I answered the phone...then I started freaking out.

My interviewer was a woman named Kim. The interview was very short and seemed to be more conversational than most interviews I've had in the past. At the end of my interview, I asked a couple of questions.

My main question was: "My coursework and college experiences are pretty well set, so with just one or two semesters to go, what can I do to make myself even more qualified for any of the positions we've discussed?" To my surprise, she said that my experiences were well rounded and that I'm on the right track. She said she couldn't think of anything else I could add. In other words, my interview went well and she liked me and my resume!

The following is a bit of a my work background, if anyone is interested.
I'm a tri-lingual journalism student with another semester or two to go. I currently work in the jewelry department at a nearby Kohl's and I volunteer to do social media marketing/PR for a web-based non-profit organization. In the past I've interned for a local tv station, radio station, and newspaper. I am a member of my school's chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, an officer in the Jewish Student Organization, and work as an editor on the undergraduate student literary magazine.

I did my College Program in the spring of 2009. I worked in Asia/Everest merchandise at DAK and now am a Campus Rep.

~Sasha

i applied to 4 animal sciences PI's. I do know for 2 of them atleast there are no screening interviews and most likely not even any. The other 2 i have no clue about but i had heard that the animal programs wait until the deadline has passed to do an interview

Hi! My DD applied for Park Event Operations...did you enjoy it? What type of experience did you have on your resume before applying that you think help give you the "edge" to be chosen over everyone else? And also what sorts of things did you do in this role?

Thanks! Also what are you doing now...are you still working for Disney? Thanks for being willing to share your experience!

:)

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond... I have been very busy with school. I really enjoyed working for PEO. I had the unique opportunity to work for all of our teams (Hard Ticket Signature Events, Conventions, and Media and Special Programs). You really get great insight as to how all the parks are run, as you work on events everywhere. It is a very challenging role as you are responsible for your own events, but also very rewarding. You do get to participate in many planning meetings and learn how all sides of the business come together (and therefore gain an understanding of why Disney makes the decisions it does!)

During the interview I was able to demonstrate that I had knowledge of the parks and resorts (from prior experience with Disney), had worked on many events, held multiple leadership positions, and had experience with events at Disney from a guest point of view. All these qualities allowed me to believe that I was best fit for the position, and.... I guess the team agreed with me!

Overall, you have to have excellent time management and critical thinking skills for this role as you manage events in which anything can happen. I do still work for Disney and will be moving to a full time role upon graduation this April. I wish your DD the best of luck and I hope to see her out working events!

Hi everyone!

So I have a quick question that I hope someone here could possibly clear up; when I called to schedule my interview (tomorrow night at 9pm :banana: )the cast member I spoke to informed me that this interview would be for all my PIs that I applied for.

Does this include non-alumni PIs as well? I completely forgot to ask.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup2

Hi everyone!

So I have a quick question that I hope someone here could possibly clear up; when I called to schedule my interview (tomorrow night at 9pm :banana: )the cast member I spoke to informed me that this interview would be for all my PIs that I applied for.

Does this include non-alumni PIs as well? I completely forgot to ask.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup2
Yes. The interview should be for both.

Well, I have a second interview scheduled for next week for the Accounting/Finance PI. I'm excited, but also super nervous. I have a feeling this one will be a lot more difficult than the first one.

Well, I have a second interview scheduled for next week for the Accounting/Finance PI. I'm excited, but also super nervous. I have a feeling this one will be a lot more difficult than the first one.

Yay!!!
:banana:

Lots and Lots of Pixie Dust coming your way! pixiedust:

Just had my second interview for conservation education. Now it's back to the waiting game...

Six minutes til interview time...I'm staring at my phone :lmao:

Is anyone else having an interview tonight, if so Good luck!

Update: Interview done! Spoke to Kim, who was very kind and we had a great conversation. Now the waiting begins!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of questions to expect during the phone interview? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

I don't know if there are any particulars for Finance/Accounting, but a typical screening interview will have 2-3 types of questions.

The first few will ask why you want to work for Disney, why you think you should get your chosen PIs, and what your work experience is.

The next type of question are situationals. Just prepare for these by thinking of past experiences and perhaps any difficult situations in these experiences (like difficult coworkers or bosses, time crunches, last minute changes, etc).

And finally you have more straightforward questions like asking what your achievements are, etc.

The best way to prepare is to go back over your prior work and personal experiences :goodvibes

I just had my interview this morning!! I think it went really well, although I was surprised that it was fairly short, about 15 minutes. They tell you at the beginning it's a 20-minute slot. As far as questions to prepare for, the advice I'd give is basically exactly what Woodskeeper said, lol!

One thing I did to prepare was google "tough interview questions," which I think helped for the situational part of the interview. Definitely think of specific instances and projects to talk about. Also know what your strengths are, so that if they ask an open-ended question like "what else would you like me to know about you?" you'll have an answer ready.

One last thing, do have questions ready to ask them, even if it's something small about the application you were wondering about. It shows you've done your research and you're excited about the job opportunity.

P.S. Woodskeeper, I did apply for planner but social media is my first choice. And it would be SO awesome to have a DISer fairytale weddings intern team!!

AG Princess, I'm so glad your interview went well! I'm really hoping we have a strong DIS DFTW intern team! There are certainly a bunch of us applying all across the board, and from what I understand, there are more than one spot for each position!

And a note about asking questions: my roommate swears by it! She had a PI about two years ago and she insists she got it because she asked questions at the end of her interview, so much to the point that she asked me after I had mine if I asked questions =D

Always remember to smile too, because they can totally tell by the way your voice sounds! :goodvibes

Congrats on a great interview! The lengths of time seem to vary a lot, mine was about 40 minutes, and I am not going to read into that. Haha.

But hopefully we will all be working together in the fall!!!! =)

So I received the lovely, thanks but no thanks email earlier today for one of the non-Alumni PIs I had applied for (Real Estate Development). I knew from my interview that there wasn't much hope for that one, interviewer really didn't ask too many questions, if any, about that role.

All is well. Hope that everyone is having a fantastic weekend!

If only they were this quick about "yes", we'd all live calmer lives. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter