Professional Internship experience?

Island_Palm

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I would love to hear anyone's experience as a professional intern! Please list your role, how you were notified, what happened when accepted and when you arrived at WDW, plus anything else you want to include.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your story!

No one else had posted so I guess I will!!

I graduated from college in May 2007--student taught till Dec 2007.
--I'm very glad I waited to do the whole WDW thing after I graduated.

I did a CP from Jan-May 2008 as a BBB Hostess at MK. After being at WDW for a month or 2 some of my Chatham roomies discussed possible extensions or PIs.
I decided to look into PIs even though I loved my job at the castle. I only saw one category that I thought my major of teaching would fit and that was-Animal Programs.

There were 5 jobs (I think) within Animal Programs at AK that I was applying for. Since I was already at WDW working, I did a site based interview at AK and had a panel of 4 that interviewed me for one of the 5 jobs. Out of the 5 jobs, I think 3 had 1 position one, had 2, and the other had 20. After 2 weeks or so I was accepted for Conservation Education Intern at AK. I accpeted and worked with them from June 19 08'- Jan 1 09'. The job was to educate children on conservation by way of Kids Discovery Clubs located throughout AK. We also were positioned at animal locations to interact with guests and educate them on the animals. We had 2 weeks of training which included in the park and out of the park training. My favorite part was we got to ride Kilimg. Safari 3 times in a row. Once with the recording and twice with one of their managers who stopped and talked more in depth about the animals.

We worked from 8:15-5:15. You got 2 days off a week and you got to pick what your ideal days off and they were set weekly and they tried to accommodate you on that. Since we were a close group, you were able to get the 4 days off in a row and people were willing to switch. For holidays we had a pot-luck on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. It was nice being able to get off at 5:15 on those days!! It was hot hot hot in the summer but the costumes were not horrible. You were given 5 and they were super easy to wash on your own without having to take them to costuming every other day and we wore boots that you bought before coming down.

I was on a team with 19 other interns and loved every second of it! The team I worked with was great. We had 5 core team members and 1 manager. We would do team builders outside of work: scavenger hunt at Epcot, mini golf, going out to eat, etc.

I lived in Kissimmee in a townhouse with 4 other girls that were doing things from other internships to full time and seasonal roles. I had lived with 2 of the girls from my CP and found 2 others from FB CP/PI groups.

When the internship ended, I was one of 4 that were selected to remain on at AK for another month while the new interns were trained and was given Seasonal Status which I still currently have. After working at AK, I went back to BBB and was given hours and took hours from the girls that worked there. I was nearing my "cap" when you are seasonal so I began looking for other jobs. I ended up with an opportunity to teach Pre-K in the Cincinnati area and that is where I'm at now.

I love WDW and would live there again in a second but sadly with the bad timing of the economy I was unable to land a FT job with WDW and still have my name on the waiting list for Merchandise and BBB (no call as of today 2/28 and it has been over a year).

I hope that helps!!! Good luck if you are applying!

Here's a very short overview for my experiences...

I did the CP in Fall 2008. I applied to 5 PIs during my CP and networked for 4 of the 5. Based on my networking, I dropped my application for one since it's not what I wanted.

I had my initial screening interview a couple weeks later and was asked to rank my top three choices. At the end of the interview I was told that I was being moved forward into the next round (this was before they had Alumni PI positions).

I was contacted for a second round by 2 of the 4 positions and had one about 3 weeks after my screening interview, the other was closer to 5 weeks later.

About 2-3 weeks later I was contacted by casting and was offered a role. I had 24 hours to accept or decline... I accepted on the spot.

My CP ended on the 2nd and my PI started on the 9th. I went seasonal for that week in between. I moved out of the housing (during my CP) so I did not need housing for my PI. I was contacted by my manager a couple weeks before I started to set up my schedule. For the check-in, I literally walked over and since I was a current Cast Member and did not need housing they gave me a folder with a single piece of paper in it and then told me I was done. It was less than 5 minutes.

I went into my PI... but was there during the massive layoffs last Spring. Because of the layoffs, nearly all work was halted and I went a while with nothing to do. About a month before my PI was scheduled to finish I started looking for other opportunities. I was offered a TA to stay with my current team, but then was also offered a position on the Opening Team of the Pirates League.

As you'll learn, getting statused with the company is a big deal, so I accepted TPL and left my internship 2 weeks early.

My story: applied for several internships, including management, for Spring '09. Had the initial 2 interviews and was moved forward, but only was contacted for a 3rd by retail management. Months of torture ensued waiting for news only to hear that all the MIs had been cancelled for the Spring, with the exception of those already promised to students from Puerto Rico. I had applied for the CP as a backup plan and had been accepted into merch. Because I'm "non-traditional", I lived in a townhouse with my DDs during my CP. I networked, trained, and participated in as much as I could, including the Explorations in Leadership class.

In March, I received a random phone call, noting that I had applied for the MI the previous semester and asking if I would be interested *IF* something came available. heck, yeah! Around that time, I also applied to extend my CP into FSFB, again as a backup plan. Applications started going up again, and I applied again, but was not called for an interview. I was upset b/c I was hearing of others being called, so I thought my opportunity had passed. On Earth Day, 2009, I was walking into work at DAK, DDs in tow (they were going to play while I worked), my phone rang and it was the recruiting office making me an offer for a retail management internship. There were some questions regarding tattoos, piercings, hair, transportation, and housing and I accepted, although I was offered 24 hours. It didn't take me 24 seconds!

I had a gap between my CP and PI from 5/15-6/21. I was not able to go seasonal as my area did not have room on their books, so I lost my hub access. I did not know where I was going to be assigned, even though I'd been told someone would call me in a few weeks. I received a welcome packet (RED folder!) and email instructions about where to report, the details of which changed several times due to a new procedure. I finally had someone look me up to tell me I was at Ft. Wilderness. I wrapped my brain around that and showed up for my intake.

Intake was handled at Casting, which was my first time in the building. We were given specific times to report, so there was not much of a wait. We did paperwork, proved ID, fingerprints, etc. and were done. That afternoon, I got a call welcoming me to the All Stars. I was very confused. Come to find out, there had been some last minute shuffling and I had been moved. I received my training schedule and reported to work. I had about a week of onsite training and a few weeks onsite before going to a week of Foundations classes, which are the management courses offered at DU.

During my internship, I networked like crazy and really shone at my responsibility of Magical Moments which garnered some attention from the area managers and our general manager. On my birthday, 2009, the GM asked me if I would think about taking on a role as 3rd shift duty manager. It would be statused, but only part time. He asked the 3 execs to set up interviews with me which I did and was sold on the role. They posted it in December and on the 23rd, gave me the best Christmas present EVER...a role as a statused manager at WDW. My internship was due to end 1/9 and there was some conversation about letting me go early, but it was finally settled that I would simply transition on 1/10 which I did.

I currently work 3 nights a week, 1030pm-800am (sometimes later, of course) as the overnight manager for the resort. It is an amazing role and I love it. I have my own CMs who are in housekeeping/custodial, but also oversee front desk, DME, engineering, and security, so it's a nice blend of many lines of business. My role is paid such that I also work an extra 32 days per year to help cover vacations and busier times. Since I'm a full time grad student as well as homeschooling 2 children, it is ideal for me right now.

As Brenna said, getting statused with the company, especially right now is a very big deal, so taking the PT manager role was definitely a step in the right direction. As far as I've heard, I was the only MI to be statused anywhere, so it is certainly an honor and a privilege! Once I graduate in October, I'll probably start looking for full time and I'm really hoping I can convince our GM to convert my role so I don't have to go anywhere, but we'll have to see how that works out...:rolleyes1

The place where dreams come true. Absolutely!

No one else had posted so I guess I will!!

I graduated from college in May 2007--student taught till Dec 2007.
--I'm very glad I waited to do the whole WDW thing after I graduated.

I did a CP from Jan-May 2008 as a BBB Hostess at MK. After being at WDW for a month or 2 some of my Chatham roomies discussed possible extensions or PIs.
I decided to look into PIs even though I loved my job at the castle. I only saw one category that I thought my major of teaching would fit and that was-Animal Programs.

There were 5 jobs (I think) within Animal Programs at AK that I was applying for. Since I was already at WDW working, I did a site based interview at AK and had a panel of 4 that interviewed me for one of the 5 jobs. Out of the 5 jobs, I think 3 had 1 position one, had 2, and the other had 20. After 2 weeks or so I was accepted for Conservation Education Intern at AK. I accpeted and worked with them from June 19 08'- Jan 1 09'. The job was to educate children on conservation by way of Kids Discovery Clubs located throughout AK. We also were positioned at animal locations to interact with guests and educate them on the animals. We had 2 weeks of training which included in the park and out of the park training. My favorite part was we got to ride Kilimg. Safari 3 times in a row. Once with the recording and twice with one of their managers who stopped and talked more in depth about the animals.

We worked from 8:15-5:15. You got 2 days off a week and you got to pick what your ideal days off and they were set weekly and they tried to accommodate you on that. Since we were a close group, you were able to get the 4 days off in a row and people were willing to switch. For holidays we had a pot-luck on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. It was nice being able to get off at 5:15 on those days!! It was hot hot hot in the summer but the costumes were not horrible. You were given 5 and they were super easy to wash on your own without having to take them to costuming every other day and we wore boots that you bought before coming down.

I was on a team with 19 other interns and loved every second of it! The team I worked with was great. We had 5 core team members and 1 manager. We would do team builders outside of work: scavenger hunt at Epcot, mini golf, going out to eat, etc.

I lived in Kissimmee in a townhouse with 4 other girls that were doing things from other internships to full time and seasonal roles. I had lived with 2 of the girls from my CP and found 2 others from FB CP/PI groups.

When the internship ended, I was one of 4 that were selected to remain on at AK for another month while the new interns were trained and was given Seasonal Status which I still currently have. After working at AK, I went back to BBB and was given hours and took hours from the girls that worked there. I was nearing my "cap" when you are seasonal so I began looking for other jobs. I ended up with an opportunity to teach Pre-K in the Cincinnati area and that is where I'm at now.

I love WDW and would live there again in a second but sadly with the bad timing of the economy I was unable to land a FT job with WDW and still have my name on the waiting list for Merchandise and BBB (no call as of today 2/28 and it has been over a year).

I hope that helps!!! Good luck if you are applying!

I got accepted for this PI for Fall 2011!!!! :yay:

Hello
I was a professional intern for Walt Disney World a few years ago. I had a very negative experience. I got no guidance from my manager and was constantly abused.

I was also a CP a few years before that. I had a great experience then. Can anyone relate?

I had no board room experience. I would ask a question and people would just gasp at me. My manager constantly would make negative comments of me in front of everyone to get me to react. When I told him I was working on it or to just stop he would just laughing at me.
I
They put me in a uniform that did not fit right and had a stain on it. Everyone commented on it. I requested a new one but costuming took forever with it.

I did not get access to one of the sites I worked at. I asked my manager for guidance about what to do and they just told me to be patient.

I asked my co-workers what to do but they just keep telling me "not to worry about it". I tried not to but I did not know what I was doing wrong and kept making the same mistakes over and over.

A bunch of other things happened. My grandmother died. I asked for some time off but my manager only gave me 2 days off!! That is equivalent of calling in sick.

It killed me to work for that man. It has been several years and I am still not over the uncaring, cold blooded and snobbish people I meet.

Hello
I was a professional intern for Walt Disney World a few years ago. I had a very negative experience. I got no guidance from my manager and was constantly abused.

I was also a CP a few years before that. I had a great experience then. Can anyone relate?

Where did you intern? What happened? Hard to relate to a story with no "meat" to it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter