Professional Internship cover letter

KatieEverAfter

Earning My Ears
I have a question about submitting a cover letter for the professional internships. They don't specifically ask for one and there is not a place to upload them on the online application, but I've heard of other applicants who have been combining their resume and cover letter in one document and uploading it as their resume. So my question is should I do a cover letter or not?

I was also wondering the same thing. And if we are to upload a cover letter, but are applying to multiple PIs, how would that work? Do we upload one for each separate position or is one broad cover letter fine?

I was also wondering the same thing. And if we are to upload a cover letter, but are applying to multiple PIs, how would that work? Do we upload one for each separate position or is one broad cover letter fine?

I know some people who did and some who didn't. I'm one of the ones who didn't, because I feel like if your résumé is written well enough you shouldn't need one. Also, they don't generally ask for one unless you're applying for certain positions (like some of the communications positions, where they judge your writing, or maybe even guest relations because it's so competitive). That being said, if you do write a cover letter, it should always be tailored to the job you're applying for (as should your résumé!), so in that instance, I would upload a different copy for each application.

The place to upload a cover letter is on your profile, not the application.

go back to your dashboard and log in.

I put mine on my resume. The reason I did cover letters is because in Engineering it is all about experience and what programs you can use. I have no work experience in Engineering so I explain projects I have done in class and what I can do with the different software programs. Because it is one thing to have used the program before, it is another to how to use the program proficiently. I didn't do it on my first one though and just uploaded a cover letter to my dashboard and titled it what I am applying for in that cover letter (though all of mine pretty much have the same job title)

I put mine on my resume. The reason I did cover letters is because in Engineering it is all about experience and what programs you can use. I have no work experience in Engineering so I explain projects I have done in class and what I can do with the different software programs. Because it is one thing to have used the program before, it is another to how to use the program proficiently. I didn't do it on my first one though and just uploaded a cover letter to my dashboard and titled it what I am applying for in that cover letter (though all of mine pretty much have the same job title)

Hi! I know you wrote this nearly a year ago, so I hope you don't mind my asking a question regarding cover letters and engineering PIs. My son is a senior applying for Fall 2014. This will be his third and last round. He made it all the way up to the end twice before he went NLIC. This time he is planning on submitting a cover letter into his profile to hopefully increase his chances. Did it help you, in your opinion? Thanks!

Even if you don't *need* a cover letter, some positions might really prefer to see one and it's great experience to practice with using one for when you are applying to jobs post-internship/college.

Also, some roles won't require one but based on the role I would highly recommend it. I applied to PR and Marketing positions, and got three interviews (Social Media for Youth, Social Media for Fairytale Weddings, and Sales and Travel Ops PR) and got offered the Sales and Travel Ops PR position. Not saying the cover letter I submitted was the deciding factor in any of it, but I suspect it helped.

When I submitted my apps for PIs, I had the cover letter as the first page of my resume. So cover letter on page one, followed by full resume on page two. If you chose to go this route, I would highly suggest saving the document as a PDF and submitting it that way. This way you won't have to worry about microsoft word mucking up your formatting. This is actually a good recommendation for any online submission job apps, because word can really make your resume look like a mess if the person opening it is running a different operating system than you.

Even if you don't *need* a cover letter, some positions might really prefer to see one and it's great experience to practice with using one for when you are applying to jobs post-internship/college.

Also, some roles won't require one but based on the role I would highly recommend it. I applied to PR and Marketing positions, and got three interviews (Social Media for Youth, Social Media for Fairytale Weddings, and Sales and Travel Ops PR) and got offered the Sales and Travel Ops PR position. Not saying the cover letter I submitted was the deciding factor in any of it, but I suspect it helped.

When I submitted my apps for PIs, I had the cover letter as the first page of my resume. So cover letter on page one, followed by full resume on page two. If you chose to go this route, I would highly suggest saving the document as a PDF and submitting it that way. This way you won't have to worry about microsoft word mucking up your formatting. This is actually a good recommendation for any online submission job apps, because word can really make your resume look like a mess if the person opening it is running a different operating system than you.

Good tips, thanks!

Did you guys address the letter to a person? Did you find the name of the recruiter to the position you want??
Because I can't find the recruiter for my position so I wrote "Dear Walt Disney Company representative" but I don't know if it sounds bad... what did you guys write?
Thanks!

I never looked at a single cover letter when I was involved in the interview process for a PI. The one I do remember seeing actually hurt them.

I wouldn't write one unless it's specifically asked for.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I never looked at a single cover letter when I was involved in the interview process for a PI. The one I do remember seeing actually hurt them.

Could you please tell us what it was that hurt them and why you didn't look at many?

I disagree about the cover letter hurting them. If someone writes a poor cover letter, then yes, it will hurt them but it is all about how you write it and whether it actually follows the qualifications.

Cover letters can only help you if you do it right. Worst case, the person doesn't even look at it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter