• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Processing Foggy Photos

krb2g

DIS Veteran
So, while we were at the beach this summer, there were a few occasions when my camera underwent rapid temperature changes, and we ended up with foggy photos. Does anyone have any processing tips to get these pictures looking as good as possible? Obviously, I try to wait till the temperatures have had time to equalize (better to have the camera take it right than to fix it in post-processing), but that's not always how it works!

They may be beyond help. If the condensation in the lens was severe enough, the images will be out of focus and there's not much you can do about that. Sharpening algorithms in processing software can help with minor softness, but can't correct drastically OOF images.

If the pictures are reasonably focused, then try increasing the contrast of the image, particularly darkening the shadows. That may help some.

Next time when you know you will be going through temp shifts, try to leave your camera closed up in your bag outside on a balcony, or even in your bathroom while you get ready (as long as it's safe). I also toss in a few of those silica packs that come with new electronics/medicine bottles to help absorb moisture. By doing this, you give the camera time to adjust to the outside temps and hopefully you won't have the fog up situation!

So, while we were at the beach this summer, there were a few occasions when my camera underwent rapid temperature changes, and we ended up with foggy photos. Does anyone have any processing tips to get these pictures looking as good as possible? Obviously, I try to wait till the temperatures have had time to equalize (better to have the camera take it right than to fix it in post-processing), but that's not always how it works!

I'm not a Photoshop guru but I have been told to process it in Photoshop. I think it has something to do with adding dulpicate layers and changing the blending modes.

I'll let a Photoshop expert chime in on this... :confused3

Yes, that's precisely what my advice would be - Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or other advanced processing software that lets you create multiple layers. In particular, when dealing with foggy effects, as long as the shot itself is generally in focus and has some color and contrast in it, but is just 'faded' looking because of the lens fog...then creating a duplicate layer, and changing the blending mode to 'multiply' will strongly increase the dark shadows and also double the color depth - if too much, you can drag the blend slider back from 100% until it looks good - if not enough, you could try making a second layer in the same blend mode, adjusting the slider until it looks better.

You will sometimes suffer a little extra graininess or noise when doing this, and sometimes might slightly blow out some shadow areas or highlight areas, but you can bring back much of the depth of the photo and get much of the 'foggy' look out of it.

Yes, that's precisely what my advice would be - Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or other advanced processing software that lets you create multiple layers. In particular, when dealing with foggy effects, as long as the shot itself is generally in focus and has some color and contrast in it, but is just 'faded' looking because of the lens fog...then creating a duplicate layer, and changing the blending mode to 'multiply' will strongly increase the dark shadows and also double the color depth - if too much, you can drag the blend slider back from 100% until it looks good - if not enough, you could try making a second layer in the same blend mode, adjusting the slider until it looks better.

You will sometimes suffer a little extra graininess or noise when doing this, and sometimes might slightly blow out some shadow areas or highlight areas, but you can bring back much of the depth of the photo and get much of the 'foggy' look out of it.

I second this. Also, try adding a Levels adjustment layer, and that should help remove some of the fog if the photo is properly focused.

if you don't already have it, download corels paint shop photo pro..

then try adjust/ color/ fade correction

on a similar note. We just got back from the Disney cruise in Alaska where it decided to be rainy and foggy on most of our port days. is there a way to edit some of the fog gray blah out of the pictures, especially those from the high in the mountians or on the water? all my whale picks are gray on gray with a splash of gray. the mountian picks I was in a fog bank and it looks like were were nearly green screened with white behind us.

on a similar note. We just got back from the Disney cruise in Alaska where it decided to be rainy and foggy on most of our port days. is there a way to edit some of the fog gray blah out of the pictures, especially those from the high in the mountians or on the water? all my whale picks are gray on gray with a splash of gray. the mountian picks I was in a fog bank and it looks like were were nearly green screened with white behind us.

Good contrast can be your best friend here. You have to work to differentiate those similar colors by tone value. Proper color balance, including white balance, will also help a lot.

Try bring up the black levels, if your photo editor has that option. In Lightroom, I've found that merely bringing up the black levels can make a huge difference in removing the fog from a photo.

I had been playing with bringing up black levels and curves, and it was working OK, but the color was a little funky (these pictures are focused well, it was just like someone had left prints in the sun and they faded), but duplicating layers and blending in "multiply" mode worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

Glad to hear it helped. That's always been the best mode for me for that type of photo recovery - as it works not just the black levels, but all of the individual color tones and their contrasts...and can be easily controlled via sliders for more or less intensity as needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter