Problems with proving age of child?

scooz2

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip to Disney a month before my son turns 3. While he will be 2 when we go, I am worried that no one will believe us as he is a big 2 year old. He is already 39 inches tall and we are not going until November.

Has anyone had any trouble with them questioning your child's age? If so, did they require proof like a birth certificate or something?

We are planning a trip to Disney a month before my son turns 3. While he will be 2 when we go, I am worried that no one will believe us as he is a big 2 year old. He is already 39 inches tall and we are not going until November.

Has anyone had any trouble with them questioning your child's age? If so, did they require proof like a birth certificate or something?

Wow-that is pretty tall! I'd take a b.c. just in case!

If you're worried about it, just take a photocopy of his birth certificate. You could always call Disney and ask if they will require one as well. However, it's my guess that this sort of thing will be something like what the airlines do - we fudged my daughter's age by 6 months and had her sit on my lap for the flight when she was 2 1/2 - she was small for her age, and no one even thought to question it. I've always found it amazing that I can buy a ticket for minor children, and I can board the plane without ever even proving they're mine or that they are who I say they are! But I digress....:)

We took DS when he was 2 1/2 and he's very tall for his age. He's 3 and his sister is 5 and they are with in 2 inches of each other. She's also very tall.

We were never stopped, we were never questioned, we didn't even get strange looks. I was really worried about it too. Decided that we weren't going to take a copy of his birth certificate. That we'd deal with it if it came up. It didn't.

I have large children. DS2 traveled to WDW for his first time 1 week before he turned 3. Never even thought about bringing proof of age. Was never asked.
DS4 is 2 1/2. He is really tall and talks like he is 5. The other problem is when you ask him how old he is he says 5. :headache: We were just at DL and I brought a copy of his BC this time around just in case. I was already making copies of the other kids for the GAD redemption.

Sarah

Last year my guy was a bit older than 2 1/2 and he was about 38inches.... and like the other posters mentioned... no one stopped us , asked us or questioned us.

When my dd was 9, almost 10, we did the dining plan, and did receive a couple of disbelieving looks (she was, and is, tall and older acting) but no questions.
I couldn't find any of the princess dresses to fit her, so I found a very pretty simple ice blue prom dress at the Salvation Army, and added details (netting at the hips and shoulders) long gloves and a "tiara" from Walmart - she looked like Cinderella, and certainly loved going to the Princess Breakfast. One of my most treasured photos. princess:

This time I am bringing my kids' birth certificates, just in case, and leaving them in the room safe. Both of my kids are tall, and look older. Dd will just have turned 13 when we travel, and is now closing in on 6 feet - everyone thinks she is 16. :scared1: Ugh. Ds is 16, and can grow a full beard. pirate: Everyone thinks he is in college. I don't think I will be questioned, but I figure that it is not worth my worrying about it. I'm the shorty in the family, but I want my kids to be kids.:grouphug:

Since you have a concern, it's easy enough to make a copy of his birth certificate, fold it up, and stick it in your bag or backpack. That's what I would do. :) Even though people have posted that they weren't questioned, it's easy enough to be prepared.
Enjoy your trip!! :)

It may make you feel better to bring the birth certificate but I doubt they will ask to see it. My kids are tall too. DH is 6'5" and I'm 5'11" so it's no big surprise! My now 8 year old son was just shy of 33 months old on one trip and he was *exactly* 40". He LOVED the "big kid rides" too. He got so tickled when they'd measure him because he knew he was going on a "good" ride. He rode Splash and Thunder multiple times that trip! We got a few quizzical looks when we'd go through the fastpass line and not have one for him because he was under 3. If you talked to him, it was obvious he was much younger than he looked but of course they weren't chatting with him. If asked how old he was he always answered 6 but he obviously didn't talk like a 6 year old or have the face of a 6 year old! No one questioned us. The waiter at Cape May Clambake joked about it because he put away a bunch of shrimp yet he was free because it was a buffet but he wasn't questioning DS's age though, just joking with us.

We'll have the same issue this trip though. Now he's 8 years old and 5 feet tall! My 10 year old is only about 1/4" talled than him so people assume they are twins. Hopefully he will slow down with the growth so he's not 6" at elementary school graduation!

Our DS was 50" tall on our 2001 trip when he was 2 years and 9 months...not even 3 years old but tall enough to ride RNRC!:scared1: We carried around a copy of his birth certificate just in case. One CM asked us how old he was and I offered to let him see his birth certificate but he said he didn't need to see it. He is 12 now and is 5'8" tall. We are waiting for the day that he hits his growth spurt and outgrows both of us.

My kids were both very tall - must be from dad who is 6' 5". :) We were never stopped/ asked about kids ages.

We took DS when he was 4. They never even asked for his ticket at any park we went to. I always gave them his ticket regardless because we paid for it, but it was like an afterthought for them.

I think they assumed he was a young kid must be under 3.

My DS will be 3 in November and is just shy of 40 inches, so he is tall also, and we never had any problems. I have always brought his birth certificate with us when we travel just in case. We flew to Denver when he was 17 months old and we were asked by the airline for his birth certificate to verify he was under 2, so in that case I was glad to have taken a copy.

Both of my kids are tall and one of our trips the youngest was a week shy of turning three. Despite the fact that he was wearing 4T & 5T clothing and tall enough for the 40" rides nobody every questioned us about his age. Like a PP said you might want to have a copy of the birth certificate for the airlines but I have yet to see or hear of WDW wanting concrete proof.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter