Problems with Budget last week!

preb

DIS Veteran
Just a heads up...we had reserved a mid-size with Budget in MCO for $132.00 for 5 days February 16-21.

When we arrived in Orlando, they advised us that they were short 300 cars and sent us over to L&M Rental. L&M only had vans left available and charged us (brace yourself) $660 for 5 days. We went back over to Budget and they assured us that we would be reimbursed for the difference in 7-10 days after we submitted all of the paperwork.

I just wanted to warn anyone who may be renting in the next few days. We were fortunate that we had plenty of available credit, but I know that many people are on a tight budget and a shock like that could put a real damper on their trip!

Shouldn't the paperwork have been processed through Budget at the same rate? That happened to me once and we received a larger car. If Budget runs out of cars I think they need to be responsible for finding one at the price quoted and should not have sent you to another company to pick up a car and deal with additional charges and credits.

The problem was with it being President's Day weekend and Daytona 500, I'm sure L & M wouldn't honor Budget's rates, knowing they could get much more for their cars. Also, they only had vans left.

That's such a shame. I hope Budget comes through for you. We are renting from them soon, so I'll follow this closely. You really should not have to pay the 600.00 fee from L&M. A friend who works in that area said they should have secured a car (from whoever could supply one) for your family at the price quoted from Budget.

Heads up, I think someone on another thread got charged for insurance.

Normally the rental car companies work together on this. However, L&M is an independent agency which could be why it has to be done this way.

That's one reason I like getting my car through Priceline. It is then pre-paid, so they pretty much have to come up with something. With a regular reservation, I've heard too many stories about them trying to weasel out of it.
Barb

Budget was out of intermediate sized cars the last time we used them (late January).

They gave us an SUV instead, which normally I would have refused, we don't like them at all. But something told me to keep my mouth shut, good thing too...our generator had been in the shop and was ready, it was easy for DH to get it in and out of the back of the SUV--much easier than a car!

Anne

I just wanted to post an update that I haven't heard anything back from Budget. I sent my paperwork in on 2/23 and was assured at the time of rental that we would receive our refund check within 7-10 days. I have called the Budget Airport Manager, Luis Fernandez, twice and he hasn't even bothered to return my call. I would be extremely hesitant to book with Budget in the future due to their very poor customer service and follow up in Orlando. Since they owe us over $500, I'm certainly not going to let this go!

We had a problem with Budget 2 years ago like this.......... we booked a minivan with them. At that time, they charged you a days rental if you did not cancel within 24 hours. When we arrived, only the Budget counter had a LONG line. When we finally got to the front, they told us it would be another 1 1/2 hours to get our minivan. They asked, did we want to upgrade?? We said, sure, but we should NOT be charged. Then they said, they HAD no upgrades available (all of a sudden). They also said we had to pay more for an extended minivan (grand caravan vs regular size). I thought this was misleading, as there is no way to BOOK the Grand caravan in advance, and we needed it (wheelchair, 4 kids, luggage) I was furious I waited 45 minutes on line to be told there were no minivans. They agreed not to charge us that one day rental, so we left Budget, loudly telling the long line of people behind us that they had no minivans left. ARGGHH! We walked over to Dollar and walked out with a minivan 10 minutes later.

Now we use National Emerald Club, no more problems! (We HAD used Budget another time, and all went well) We complained to Budget after all this went down, after the trip, we were still upset and annoyed. They really did not care. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter