• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Problems with AfterHours - Be Warned!

osxgirl

Mouseketeer
After just seeing in Victoria's TR that she also recently had some big problems with After Hours, I thought I would start a separate thread about this here for everyone to let them know what happened with us. Anyone else can post their experiences too. That way, all of you still upcoming brides can be forewarned, and make decisions appropriately.

Our wedding was on October 29th. My DH bought his tux, so that, fortunately, wasn't an issue. Good thing too. He's a really big guy, and I have no doubt they would have really screwed his up, and we would have had major problems. Of course, that's one of the reasons we decided to just buy his tux in the first place! All the rest of the guys in the wedding party were (sort of) average size, so fortunately, we didn't have any major issues with the tuxes themselves. Just the service with the company. Which is a good thing. Because frankly, had there been any problem at all with the size of any of the tuxes where they would have had to go to the warehouse to get another one, we probably would have had a major problem, and may not have had a tux at all for whichever guy had the problem.

Two of the guys, my dad and my nephew, were in Indiana. Those two went off without a hitch. My mom took care of getting them in to an AfterHours in Indiana, getting them measured, making sure that store got the order in to the AfterHours in the Loop store in Kissimmee, and taking them to try on the tuxes on Friday before the wedding (26th). Evidently, there was a little hemming work that needed to be done, and one of the guys in the store did it within about 10 minutes.

Ok, all sounds great so far, right? If it had all gone this well, they would be getting rave reviews.

The only problem so far was that DH had planned on paying for their tuxes, but they went and got the tuxes on their own so fast, before we even managed to get into town, that they had already paid for them. :rolleyes1

So, then came taking care of DH's side. We had two more on that side - his best friend, and his nephew. Now we had personally taken both of them and made sure they got measured and that the order got off to the store a couple of months earlier. We had also told them when we did the order, then later confirmed, that these guys were not getting into town until Saturday. We told AfterHours that their flight did not get in until the afternoon, and so we would not be able to come in until the evening on Saturday, the 27th to take care of fitting the tuxes and picking them up. That still gave one more day in case there were any problems, right?

DH's family being themselves, took FOREVER getting from the airport, got lost, and then, since they were running so late, the thing to do would have been to meet and go straight for the tuxes, but no, they ended up insisting on going to the motel and checking in first. All they did was check in an basically leave with us to go take care of the tuxes, so checking in didn't really matter, but....

Meanwhile, in all the phone calls back and forth between DH and his mom, she says something about thinking the place is closed. So DH tries to call AfterHours. And can't get through. The phone is doing really screwy things. We, of course, assume it's the cell phone, because when phones act screwy, it's always the cell phone, right?

Well, we finally decide that we don't have time to sit around trying to call and find out if they are open before we go over there, because we could waste all the time they are open just trying to find out if they are open, if you know what I mean. Besides, DH keeps telling me that he checked this all out ahead of time, made sure with them that we could pick the tuxes up on Saturday, and that they assured them that the store was open until 9 p.m.

I keep trying to call the whole way over. I finally get through, sort of. The guy on the phone tells me they're closed, and I about blow a gasket. The only problem is, I can't even have a proper fit at anyone, because the phone hangs up after about 10 seconds of conversation. And I can only get through about 3 or 4 times, and then everything goes back to acting very wacky again (not that it was acting all that normal when I WAS getting through). During what little time I was able to get through, what I was able to get out of them (the guy put the manager on the phone) was that they closed at 6 that day for a system upgrade, but it was ok, because they were open at noon tomorrow, and we could just come in then to pick up the tuxes instead.

Ummm... no matter that we had OTHER plans..... I said yes, and what if there are problems and the tuxes don't FIT? He said oh, well the wedding is Monday, right? So no problem, we'll get another one from the warehouse and you can just come pick up the other one Monday.

:headache: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I yelled "No, we can't! The wedding is a 10 in the morning!"

About that time, the phone hung up again. After that, I couldn't get anything but a busy signal.

Well, as you might guess, by the time we got to the store, I was fuming and ready to tear someone's head off. There was a sign on the door. Sure enough, the regular hours were until 9, but special, just that day, they closed at 6 to do a system upgrade. But hey, we'll be open tomorrow! :mad:

We banged on the door awhile - after all, someone did answer the phone only about 15 or 20 minutes before. No one came out though. I still think they were probably still there...I think they probably needed to be there for the upgrade, and they just weren't about to come out and face an extremely angry bride. Worst part is, they could have handled everything in about 20 minutes, and kept the customers happy. But no......

By the way, it was about 8 p.m. by then. So it wasn't like we were pushing closing time or anything. We had every reason to expect that what we were told would happen. Especially since we had confirmed it. Told them all our dates and requirements. Made sure they knew when we would be showing up to pick up the tuxes.

So, we all had plans for the next afternoon. Instead, we had to march BACK over to AfterHours. Now granted, we might have had to go back anyway, if there had been a problem with the tuxes. But we wouldn't have ALL had to go. And it wouldn't have taken nearly as long, or at least shouldn't have, because they should have, by that point, had the tuxes pretty much ready to go. Instead, we were going over, just starting the process.

So, we get in there. Now you would think that since they had done this to us, we would be a priority. But no. We had to wait. There was a couple picking out tuxes and putting down deposits. Now actually, we got there first. The guys had to go in, try on the tuxes, and our nephew's sleeves were too long, so they had to do some measurement. Not only that, but really, I would say that DH's best friend's tux didn't really fit as well as it should have. Given more time, we might have tried to actually do something about it. But we didn't have the time to do anything about it. By the time they finished up and changed, and we got ready to pay, the other couple was ready to put down their deposits. So we had to wait until they finished so we could pay. Yes, I am saying that they could not handle taking both of our payments at the same time.

Not only that, but now we get back to that little "system upgrade". Now to you and I, an upgrade usually means making things better, right? Well, evidently to them, an upgrade means demolishing the computer system and making the phone system unusable. So we waited...and waited....and waited....and waited some more. It took them at least 40 minutes to take the deposit from these people in front of us. Did I mention that they started to take the deposit JUST as we were ready to pay. Yeah. Nice, huh?

We finally ended up sending all of DH's family on to do what they planned to do - they had tickets for some monster truck rally or something like that. We were meeting friends of ours that used to go to my church that now live down in Orlando at their house for lunch, and they were having the minister and his wife (the minister who was doing our wedding ceremony) to lunch as well. We had already warned them about the problem and that we were going to be a little late, so....

Well, after 40 excruciating minutes for them, it took another 30 minutes for us. DH sent me out to the truck, because he could see that I was about to kill someone. We made sure they knew how unhappy we were about them being closed the night before, about the fact that we had been promised that we would be able to get the tuxes on Saturday, about the fact that we'd been kept there when all of us had plans that day. We didn't get anything from them. And when I say anything, I mean ANYTHING. Not even as much as an I'm Sorry. Not so much as an acknowledgement that any of this was wrong. The most we got was a (IMO) rote "thanks for your patience" after they finally got done with the couple in front of us and got started with us. That was when DH saw the blood in my eyes and sent me to the truck.

What was the problem? Well, they had to process everything by hand. Evidently the "upgrade" had so royally screwed the system that they couldn't put anything in at all. Either that, or no one had been trained on anything yet, and so no one knew HOW to do anything on the system, even log in. I kind of suspect the latter myself, but who knows.

Not only that, but none of them really knew how to do the paperwork they had to do when they had to process payments by hand. So they were all fumbling around, searching everywhere for forms. And the last thing I saw before I finally walked out of the store was the woman who had helped our sales clerk with the payment forms for the people in front of us start walking him through the EXACT SAME PROCESS all over again. ARGH!!!!!!! He was acting like he had never seen it before, even though he had just done it. He was even having trouble finding the folder WITH the forms in it, even though he had just used it and put it away....and why the he!! he put it away when we were standing right there and he was going to need them again is beyond me.

Oh, and then there's what DH told me when he came out. He said that to speed things up, he ended up giving them HIS cell phone to call in and get approval on his credit card for the transaction. Because, after all, as I've said from the beginning, their phone systems were completely screwed. And they evidently had no clue what to do about it or how to handle anything. Fortunately, DH has a brain and got tired of standing there waiting for the clueless to try and catch a clue.

Ok, I think everyone can tell I got kind of frustrated.

We later found out that what was going on is that sometime last year, Men's Warehouse bought out AfterHours. This system "upgrade", we believe, was actually Men's Warehouse converting AfterHours over to their systems.

Now, I'm guessing at least some of you will probably say - ok. Well, that really wasn't the store's fault. They couldn't control when corporate dictated that the changeover would occur, or when corporate would close the store to do it. They also couldn't control what would happen to their systems. And if the corporate didn't get them trained on the systems in a timely manner, that's also not their fault.

Sure, none of that was their fault. But....that store was the one who took on having the tuxes ready for my wedding on that date. They had (or should have had) some appointment schedule that would have shown when they expected people to be in for pickups. As soon as they knew about the early closure that day, they should have contacted us to let us know about the problem, and to help us make arrangements. Even if we could have changed nothing about the dates when we did things, it sure would have eased up a lot of anxiety and anger.

They had a responsibility to us to minimize how much extra time we had to waste Sunday after what happened Saturday night, and they did nothing to expedite things for us. They should have been prepared for system downtime in order to get customers through without such a painful wait.

And how about a simple - I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It goes a long way. A discount for our time would go even further, but even a simple I'm sorry would have done a lot!

Never again. Never, ever, ever. In fact, I have to make up a list of things we have to do now. Things like combining our car insurance, adding DH to my health insurance, getting my name change done, things like that. Writing a letter to AfterHours/Mens Warehouse is at the top of the list!

I am so sorry you had problems with AfterHours and just wanted to let you know I share your pain!!!! My ordeal is not quite as large as yours, but we still had major issues and are planning on switching tux companies if we can (our wedding is in 7 1/2 weeks). We booked and paid ALL deposits with AfterHours at least 8 months ago. My bridesmaids and wearing the color "marine" from david's bridal and my wedding gown has a "marine" sash and AfterHours is the only company who carries this particular color so of course we chose them. About 2 weeks ago we got a call from AfterHours saying the color "marine" was canceled and we could not have this color for our wedding (9 weeks away)!!!!!! DF and I were furious. We called many head personnel and they said nothing could be done. There is not a color similar other than "navy" which looks purple against marine. I was so thrilled because me dress had marine and DF would be wearing marine and i thought it would look amazing. Now I have no clue what to do. DF says to just put all men in black vests. I'm disappointed beyond belief.... Maybe if this happened a few months ago it wouldn't be SOOO bad, but 2 months before my wedding????

Wow the way that Afterhours treated both of you is unbelievable and inexcusable. I went to one by my house a little over a month ago to order the tuxes and thankfully the woman at the store (which was actually going out of business in two days, unbeknownst to me) was nice enough to say that they were switching over to Men's Warehouse and that many items would be discontinued, so I should wait until the new year to book anything. I think they will still offer the deal where you will get the groom's tux free if you rent four total or something like that and that's what I was going to do. However, after seeing how they treat their customers, I will probably use Carolyn Allen's. Thank you for letting everyone know about this! I am so sorry that they jerked you both around :hug:

You know - I'm so glad I didn't even bother getting up my hopes on the whole color thing.

My dress is white with a sapphire off-the-shoulder portrait collar and sapphire inset pleat on one side. The dress is from Forever Yours, and their sapphire is not what sapphire is normally from most companies. When my sister and niece went to go look for dresses to match, though, the ended up finding dresses that matched almost exactly at David's bridal. The color there was cornflower.

Well, AfterHours does have cornflower as a color too. And that's supposedly one of the big things about them being partners, that the colors match. And from the start, I had kind of thought about putting DH in a black tux (or maybe even white!) with a white shirt and then a vest and tie the same color blue as was in my dress. And then putting the women in the blue dresses, and the guys in black tuxes with black vests and blue ties.

But, the more I thought about it, and the more I looked at the blue in my dress, the more I thought that if I tried to match and the colors weren't quite right, it could look REALLY bad. So, I just gave my sister a swatch of the blue in my dress, told my mom and sis to pick out dresses for her and my niece that, if they didn't match, just didn't clash. Told them if they wanted, to get black. Put DH in a black tux with a white shirt, tie, and vest. Put the rest of the guys in black tuxes with white shirts, black vests, and black ties. And it worked well. Even thought the dresses my sis and mom found matched almost perfectly, when we went to AfterHours, I looked at their version of cornflower, and I didn't think it really matched that closely at all. I'm glad I didn't go with it.

Yeah, I don't really trust them on much of anything.

Had I had more time, I would have looked for material and either made the vest and tie for DH myself, or had them made. As it was, we couldn't find a vest that was quite big enough, and had to have the one he bought altered. I was going to do it myself, but just ran out of time. When we took his tux (which he bought on the internet) to a tailor to get it fitted, I just told the tailor to make the vest bigger too. He hesitated at first - I could tell he was getting ready to tell me he would have to replace the entire back of the vest, but I showed him exactly what I was going to do, which was just add panels under the arms. With a jacket on, no one was going to see it anyway. To tell the truth, even with the jacket off, you can barely notice it, and if you do, it looks like it was meant to be made that way anyway. When I showed him that, the tailor just smiled and said ok. He could tell I knew sewing and that it would be fine that way. I imagine most people think doing that will make it look wrong, and make him make a whole new back or something.

Well, got a little off topic there... anyway - I don't trust AfterHours to get much of anything right to be honest. And you're right, the colors seem to be a problem for them too. The other thing I noticed.... when we went in, all the catalogs they had out had stickers all over them that said "not available". Hardly any of the tuxes in the books were available anymore. They kept saying that's because they were moving to the new styles, but they didn't seem to have pictures of the new styles, and couldn't help you pick out the new styles, so you just had a very limited quantity of the old styles to pick from.

osxgirl - I am so sorry that you had all of those problems. That was very unprofessional of them. I agree with what you said - if they had no control over closing the store early, they should have contacted you to make other arrangements.

Disneymooner - that's too bad about the marine blue. Since you can't find that color, I also suggest going with all black. Maybe your DF can wear all white (vest & tie). You could maybe get blue boutineers or add marine blue ribbons to them to tie in the color. The all black would keep the colors in check and look very classy IMO.

Thank you so much for the head's up. A note to keep for myself for the planning...

thank you for posting this thread. i am not the type of person to like to really bad mouth anyone. but they were rude and not willing to help. us ladies put alot of time and work into our weddings to have a company really throght you for a loop. i would not want this to hapen to any more of us. thank you again for starting this thread. i will post my full problem in my tr.

I'm having a problem as well with them right now...as you can see th wedding is in 6 days and a few of the groomsmen wanted to pay the rest of their deposit but CANT because they WONT ANSWER the phone or call me back! I have emailed, called, emailed, and called again and NOTHING!!!!

i ams so sorry to hear that. if you really can not get through talk to your planner that is what i had to do. they know people that can help!

What a shame! It's been over 2 years since our wedding and we had huge problems with After Hours as well! It was so bad that in the end, the company did do the right thing and refund every single guy in the bridal party. And they did manage to get things almost right by the middle of my rehearsal dinner the night before. At the time, it didn't do anything to make me less of a nervous wreck! For those brides whose weddings are coming up, just remember your weddings will all be perfect and the dream of a lifetime. (Disney really has a knack for that!) Congratulations and best wishes to you all!

Christine:)

Jumpin' Jellyfish -

As I said in my message, when I was having trouble with them, the phone system was completely screwed up. It seemed as if their computer system might be as well. I know when I tried to call them what was happening was that some of the time, I just got a busy signal. Other times, it seemed as if the phone connected, but no one was on the other end. The couple of times I actually got through, I think it was probably before the "upgrade" had completed, because after a while, I couldn't get through again at all.

Now this was all on October 27th and 28th, since our wedding was on the 29th. Hard to believe they STILL haven't managed to get anything working with the phones and systems, but then, I guess that would be for a normal, reliable business. AfterHours does not seem to be one of those. At least, that doesn't seem to be my experience.

I'll echo the poster who said call your planner. Maybe s/he would send someone to the store to check things out for you.

I'm sorry everyone has been having so many problems with After Hours. I would suggest that, in addition to writing a letter to the company, you also call the Better Business Bureau. Maybe they'll start to get more of a reputation that way...

Hi girls this is really scary because I ASSUMED we would use after hours (you know what they say about assume) because we could have everyone fitted here (in south Florida) and they would send the measurements to Orlando and bingo we would pick up the tuxes there no problem!

Does anyone know other options for places that have locations all over the State of Florida?

Just to add yet another negative to After Hours, we had NOTHING but problems once we got to Florida.

Everything up here in Michigan was peachy.
I made the trip to After Hours Monday 10/22 with my groom to be, my dad, father in law and the ring bearer. I fully intended on making everyone try their tux on, and making sure everything was perfect.

First up was my dad who had no problems.
Next up was Matt, and not only did his tux not fit, and by not fit, I mean the jacket was nearly to his elbow, the pants were the wrong color and style. Our ring bearer had the exact tux match to Matt, and his was totally wrong as well. Father in law was ok however.

The girl that worked there wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box, and neither was her manager once he FINALLY showed up from his break. They told us after about a half hour of arguing that they would have everything corrected by the next afternoon, which was ok since the wedding wasn't until Wensday morning.

Tanis had called me that night to check in with me and iron out some final details, and I mentioned After Hours to her, and she let me in on a wedding she had done over the weekend that had similar and more problems. She told me to keep her updated on what was going on, and I realize DFTW isn't responsible for anything third party, but she was interested in our issues since they do have them on the recommended list.

Tuesday morning comes, and Carolyn Allen's is there at 9 to steam my dress, the lady that came out also humored me with some After Hours horror stories. This didn't put me at ease about going back that afternoon to hopefully have everything corrected.

Tuesday afternoon we return to pick up the tuxes, yes, they are fixed, but now they are saying we didn't pay for them! and we have to return them on Thursday..
Not only were all the tuxes paid for, but we also paid to keep them an extra week for our at home reception on November 2. Which our reciepts showed. Apparently reciepts mean nothing to the staff at that store. :confused3

Anyways, I let it slide. They would not ruin our wedding, I knew we were ok by bringing them back home with us considering we paid for that.

Fast forward to November 3, the day after our at home reception.
I'd just like to add, that the tux issue, was the only negative about our DFTW. Everything else went off perfectly!

My mom took my dads tux back first, and they gave her a run around about how they should have been returned in Florida ect. My mom had no problem about setting them straight.
Matt and I didn't make it over to the mall until a little after 6 p.m, and After Hours was closed... 8 people standing around staring at us with a tux bag looking helpless.
Eventually one of them opened up the grate and took the tux back and I held my tounge.

Dealing with them, and their staff was horrible. I have never seen more lazy and arguementative people working anywhere in my life. I would never guide anyone to use them. The service was rotten.

I did email Tanis and let her know, as she was working on a letter to their heads of office, and DFTW would consider dropping them if there were enough complaints.

We got the whole converting over to Men's Warehouse excuse too, but IMHO that is no excuse for being rude and nasty to customers.

Brides beware!

I am really sorry that it has been such a challenge with After Hours. I hope you guys get things sorted out soon.

We used Carolyn Allen's and had no problems any of the times that we used her. She personally came to do the fittings for everyone. I couldn't ask for better service.

Yikes - I am so sorry to hear you guys had to deal with all these issues, but I thank you for posting them for those of us who have not yet booked tuxes. I was plannign to use the after hours department that delivers to hotels in Orlando, that is not a part of any of the stores. I was plannign that based on another disbride's recommedations. ANyone have any info good or bad on that process?

Can you go with Men's Wearhouse or are they just as screwed up as After Hours with this transition? I investigated them, and they're pretty close to Disney and cheap too!

We're using Carolyn Allen's, which is now a Jim's Formalwear dealer. There are Jim's dealers all over the US, so you should have no trouble getting fitted.

I was wondering about the service at Men's Warehouse? My monster in law is paying for the tuxes and she wants to go there. She's way too cheap for Carolyn Allens... it makes me want to pay for the darn tuxes myself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter