Problems at Disney effect SSR sales?

RCI is actually currently offering its members the chance to switch to a points system instead of weeks but they are charging members approx. $1000 to make the switch.

Originally posted by DeeCee735
I'm in it for the long run, I don't see the possible takeover by Comcast as a "bad" change, just a change, and it's normal for change to make one nervous, but I think everything will be just fine, maybe even better! I love BWV and DVC and will buy more points as soon as my ship comes in!:earsgirl: ONLY 44 DAYS TO GO!! :earsboy:
Agreed! I have said in the past that I would likely sell if Disney ever sold DVC, but this seems somewhat different. It seems as though the Disney brand would be intact (still Disney Vacation Club, not Comcast Vacation Club). After all, most items in your home probably have a parent company, and you don't even know it. Most importantly, from what I have read, Comcast would be commited to the long term excellence of Disney.

I think this may be a good thing, either way it goes. If the takeover is unsuccessful it will be a wake up call for Disney, thus things would only get better.
Kind of a win-win situation. :D

MG

Originally posted by jerinknox
I would never do anything that drastic unless I knew it had already happened and wasn't a good deal.
Isn't that what Martha Stewart did and now the feds are after her, which in my opinion is totaly unjustified. No, I am not selling my points, just buying more.

Originally posted by canda
The head of Comcast is an old boy of WDW. It could be a ruse to get stock holders scared of of "barbs. at the gates" and vote ME back in. but if it is not....I went through this with RJR and Nabisco and they are still around.

Actually the President and CEO of Comcast has no WDW affliation. His name is Brian Roberts.

Stephen Burke worked for Disney at one time. He is Ex. Vice President of Comcast. He did not work at WDW however. Burke joined The Walt Disney Company in January 1986, where he helped to develop and found The Disney Stores. In 1992, he moved to Euro Disney S.A., where, as President and Chief Operating Officer, he helped to lead a comprehensive restructuring effort.

Originally posted by Sammie
Actually the President and CEO of Comcast has no WDW affliation. His name is Brian Roberts.

Stephen Burke worked for Disney at one time. He is Ex. Vice President of Comcast. He did not work at WDW however. Burke joined The Walt Disney Company in January 1986, where he helped to develop and found The Disney Stores. In 1992, he moved to Euro Disney S.A., where, as President and Chief Operating Officer, he helped to lead a comprehensive restructuring effort.
I can't for the life of me understand how Mr. Burke's past affiliation with Disney has any bearing on anything!!!!! That was then, this is now!!!
Even if Comcast does succeed in taking over Disney, Mr. Burke is now an employee of Comcast! Who he worked for in the past and what their buisness philosphy or management techniques may have been is no longer relevant. He will now march to the beat of his current employer's (Comcast) business philosphy, corporate mission etc., and make decisions accordingly. HELLO!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Does anyone have a guess what this might do to the current selling prices of SSR? We were going to buy in the next few weeks and now I'm thinking I will hold off for a while. Is that a good move or a dumb move? Would the prices go even higher or is there a chance they might drop??:confused:

I think this is a huge over reaction. It hasn't even happened and people have DVC sold off. DVC is a big profit maker for Disney because it is part of WDW, separating it and selling it off would make it less valuable. I doubt it would happen.

Originally posted by Alic
Does anyone have a guess what this might do to the current selling prices of SSR? We were going to buy in the next few weeks and now I'm thinking I will hold off for a while. Is that a good move or a dumb move? Would the prices go even higher or is there a chance they might drop??:confused:

The price of SSR is set by Disney, the Comcast bid will have no effect on it untill sutch time that they should take over, and even then it would take time for them to change things to effect offering prices.

Steve Burke worked for the Disney Company, starting out at ABC (where his father had worked for CapCities ABC prior to Disney purchasing that company). Steve held many high level positions at the Disney Company including being very involved with the Disney Stores in the "good times". The "Saint Roy" site is singing his praises. However, like Katzenberg, Steve did not leave the company with the highest of regard for Mr. Eisner. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Have you ever wanted to buy your old company and toss the boss out? ;)

Everyone is so concerned about family run Disney. Comcast is also a family business built from a small cable company by Brian Roberts' father. Brian brought Steve Burke on board at Comcast around the time they began their takeover of the AT&T Cable Systems and began the entry into empire building. Comcast was bidding for Vivendi Universal but were beat out by NBC. Of course, Disney would be the next obvious choice. Steve Burke is EVP of Comcast Corporation and President of Comcast Cable. Other companies owned in whole or part by Comcast include the Outdoor Channel, the Golf Channel and E! Entertainment Television.

My hope is that if this deal goes through, Burke will recognize the value of the synergy of the Disney Company's various properties. I've already seen one quote from him where he does stress the understanding that the movies, theme parks, television shows etc. all feed off of each other. In other words, he knows what "it all started with a Mouse" means.

I hate to see it sold but I don't think it will be horrific if it has to happen. On a smaller scale, Starwood bought out several hotel companies and there have not been disasterous results at the Swan Dolphin as a result of that change.

Now, to swing this around to DVC related. DVC is a cash cow for the company right now. It's keeping several of their on-site resorts running. I don't think disposing of DVC will be a top-priority and it may not be a priority at all. If they sell the theme parks to "another" company, then we may have real cause for concern. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic. I also think Eisner will do his best to stave off this takeover bid.

PamOKW, thanks for all this information. It is really rather encouraging, and I have heard similar stories. I like the "buying the company and tossing the boss out" idea. It gives me a nice fuzzy feeling.:earsboy:

Originally posted by poohj80
I agree with the wait and see attitude, but my biggest fear is that if Comcast does merge with Disney, they may decide they don't want to deal with timeshares and sell DVC to another timeshare company like RCI.

I think Comcast will have to raise the offer substantially. If they are successful, why do you think they would sell off DVC ?? DVC members are the most loyal Disney consumers.

Why do you think Disney doesn’t offer better DVC discounts on restaurants and theme park admission? They don’t have to, we are a sure thing. It would be like selling the goose that lays golden eggs.

DVC is very profitable and interlinked with deluxe Disney resorts. It’s no secret WDW success has been controlling the surrounding development and atmosphere. Its what separates DL from WDW.

Comcast would not expand into the entertainment business just to dismantle it. Comcast could be a great distributor for movies and cable channels. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few Comcast executives have vacationed in WDW and think they can make improvements.

This has drifted far from the OP question about Disney problems affecting sales at SSR.

For discussion of Comcast, please join one of the many threads on the News/Rumors Board.

If you have comment about sales at SSR, please feel free to add them here.

Thanks.

now we'll wait and see what happens. At least until the 'dust settles'. We are not fans of comcast at all. Their internet service is fine, but our cable goes out all the time and their customer service is poor at best. I saw what happened to King's Dominion when Paramount bought them, it went down hill. Companies come in with the best of intentions, but if they don't know what they are doing, or are just after the best bang for their buck then things fall apart. I'd hate to see that happen to disney. Maybe Comcast would do a great job, but who knows. I don't think they would just hurt DVC, I think it would be an all or nothing sort of thing...but for this reason we won't be buying SSR for now. We are going to wait and see what things look like in the next coming months. If we already had purchased SSR we wouldn't be selling, but since we haven't signed anything yet we'll just anxiously wait.

i have 250 points at ssr
what will happen when and if comcast buys disney is
something we can`t worry about
lets just have fun and enjoy
p.s. i have concast cable,phone,internet with no problems:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter