• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Problem with Adobe Reader

Andrew Bichard

DIS Veteran
Every time I open up Disboards.com, or change pages, Adobe Reader fires up too.

This started three or four days ago, after Adobe prompted me to install an update. I declined the update as I use Acrobat 6.0 to both read & write pdf files and I don't want (or need) to pay to upgrade to Acrobat 8.x.

I have no idea why Acrobat wants to fire up every time I change pages on DISboards - It doesn't happen with any other websites I visit.

If I try to open a pdf on other sites, and ONLY if I attempt to open a pdf, I will get a warning that my version of the Acrobat reader is not compatible with reading pdfs on websites, I dismiss the warning and the pdf then opens normally. I seldom need to open pdfs on websites, so this minor problem causes no problem.

However, Disboards fires up my pdf reader every time I change pages, and I then have to dismiss about four to six Acrobat dialogues before I can get back to DIS.

Has DIS been changed so that it attempts to display a pdf with every page change?

This conflict between Adobe and DISboards is driving me to distraction. The only solution would seem to be to stop visiting DISboards as no other website seeems to have this problem!

Andrew

Andrew- I'm not aware of anyone else having any similar issues. And we haven't made any changes that would trigger anything like this.

Andrew- I'm not aware of anyone else having any similar issues. And we haven't made any changes that would trigger anything like this.

If DISboards hasen't changed anything, then something must have changed my end. Internet explorer continues to work fine for all other websites, so I deduce that my DISboards cookie must somehow have become corrupted.

Can you remind me of its name, so that I can delete it and start again?

Andrew

This is happening to me too.

you're not alone :rotfl:

Solved it! (I hope)

I upgraded to the most recent Adobe Reader (8.13) and my problem went away as mysteriously as it arrived.

I still retain a full version of Acrobat 6 which my Fujitsu ScanSnap uses to write to pdf, and the two versions seem to be happy working on the same computer.

I would suggest upgrading your Acrobat reader, or if you are already on 8.13, use the 'Repair Adobe Reader Installation' option on the Help menu.

Andrew

This is happening to me too, and I also have Adobe 6 Pro and Adobe 8 Reader both installed. I think maybe it's happening because I've set 6 as my default for reading things on the Web.

Any chance you know how to tell the PC to use Adobe Reader 8 instead?

Thanks!

Solved it! (I hope)

I upgraded to the most recent Adobe Reader (8.13) and my problem went away as mysteriously as it arrived.

I still retain a full version of Acrobat 6 which my Fujitsu ScanSnap uses to write to pdf, and the two versions seem to be happy working on the same computer.

I would suggest upgrading your Acrobat reader, or if you are already on 8.13, use the 'Repair Adobe Reader Installation' option on the Help menu.

Andrew

Strange.

It just stopped happening to me :confused3

ill upgrade my adobe reader just in case :)

Thanks for the help :goodvibes

It is happening to me too, I tried updating thru adobe but it said there were no updates available? We are still on Win XP, any ideas??

It's the theme! (And possibly the Alamo banner ad that goes with it) I have my DISboards theme set to default. I only have the PDF problem in forums that have the default - forums with different sponsors (and therefore different themes), like the Transportation board and the Disneyland board, don't give me any trouble. But this Tech forum and the Weddings forum give me that PDF error any time I click on a new page....

So if you're having this problem, try changing the theme - it's at the very bottom of the page, on the left...

Solved it! (I hope)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I was having the same problem. It just started this week.
I was already on Adobe 8.1, but I ran the Repair and now I'm good.
THANK YOU again!!:worship:

I started having this problem, too. When I changed the theme, it self-corrected. But I can't change the theme on theme parks and strategies from "Tour Guide Mike." Everytime I try, it runs Adobe, and goes back to TGM.

Happening to me, too. I have the latest reader and I use Acrobat Professional 6.0.

It's getting to be a pain....

Hmmm. I use Acrobat Pro 6.0, too. Have y'all tried changing the theme on each board?

I'm gonig to try to make Acrobat Reader 8.0 the default reader. I need to do that anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter