• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pro photographers

NoIdea

Earning My Ears
We are off to DL in March from the land down under, and given this trip is a once in a lifetime holiday, I was interested in having a professional photographer follow the family and I around the parks for a day. I'm not concerned about the cost, but not sure where to even begin organising this. Any recommendations?

Why don't you just use photopass photographers. They are in most areas in the park and take awesome photos. You can take other photos yourself then and have a mix of both. That's what we always do and the photopass photographers often capture moments you don't even realise they're taking photos of especially when meeting characters

I'm not sure if Disneyland has a policy against professional photographers in the parks or not (I think I recall reading somewhere that WDW prohibits all outside professional photographers). If it's not prohibited you could do an internet search for photographers in Anaheim and check out a few of their websites to see whose style you like best. My dad is a photographer in another state so I'm familiar with the general business model for these types of event sessions. You can expect to pay travel time, the photographer's entrance to the park, plus an hourly rate while they are with you. Then you will have to either pay for the actual prints (very expensive usually), or perhaps be able to negotiate a flat rate for a CD of the all the photos.

I will also get the photopass thing, but I want to not have to cart my camera around the parks or worry about taking my own pictures thus my desire to hire someone else to do it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll contact DL and check about pro photogs. In Aussie it's common to buy a disc with the images on it, so I'm hoping to find someone to do the same.

I am not sure what the rules are. I am a professional photographer and live in Portland, OR. I have an annual deluxe pass and if money was not an issue would fly down and stay a 2 nights and do a day with you shooting you as you went through the park. I actually just posted that I should add this to my biz doing family vacation trip with people. My best guess is if they seem to be with your party and you shoot like you are just shooting your own family that you could. I have not really seen professional photographers in the park, other than the cast member photographers. I would love to go down and do my daughters senior portraits in the park, but since she is my daughter it would not be a problem.

how would they know you are getting paid to take professional photography of a family versus with the family and have a nice camera of your own and are just shooting away photos? I would say if they are just photographing your family in the park and not the park itself they would have a hard time telling if you were a professional or just part of the group

There is a local Southern California photographer that has done professional photo sessions in DLR, they are usually mini session.

She has a Facebook page you can visit to see her work and lists her contact information. I am sorry I am not able to link her page from my phone, but if you search for PBKisses Photography you should be able to find it :-)

I've got white rabbit boutique favorited for a possible future maternity session in the parks. She does a lot of wedding photography in the parks and her photos are stunning!

Pro photography is still allowed at DLR AFAIK, but you have to follow all regular park rules, can't obstruct other guests or block their access in any way, and can't have any equipment except a camera and attachments that fit directly on the camera. That's how informal wedding photography happens at the parks. (Google around for Disney wedding photography to bear this out.) On the other hand, following a couple around is different than following an entire family around, and may cross some Disney line in terms of permissibility. I would suggest calling Guest Services and asking them directly. Better safe than sorry.

We had family photos done there- they turned out lovely! We went for subtle Disney touches rather then over the top in your face Disney, but we were in the parks nonetheless :)

Our photographer put them on her blog:

http://sarinalove.com/lifestyle-portraits/disneyland-family-session/

We plan on doing another session in the coming year!

What time of year did you do this? How were you able to seem like you were the only ones in the park?! The photos are amazing!

What time of year did you do this? How were you able to seem like you were the only ones in the park?! The photos are amazing!

We did this a couple days after Labor Day (our kids didn't start school until 2nd week of Sep).

We started in DCA for early entry (we were staying on site and listed our photographer in our rm so she had a room key). While everyone rushed to carsland we took advantage of Buena vista street, paradise pier, etc.

Then we hopped to DL at park opening and did the same concept (went to areas not crowded during rope drop). It actually was a very busy day lol!

I'm am excited to try this as well! I am a photog in oklahoma, and I love the idea of turning over the camera to someone else to capture MY special moments!! Keep the recommendations coming!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

You could try calling/emailing Disney weddings and asking them for their list of preferred photographers. I'd bet there are some in there who also do family photography and are very familiar with the parks and rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter