Prix Fixe = BS to me.

MinnieFan4ever

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
As someone who has a food allergy eating out is always tricky. One thing that Disney has always done, for me at least, is made dining fun. There was always something on the menu that I could find. But now with all these 2 course and 3 course menus, this is not the case. All you lucky family and friends have 5,6 or 7 choices for an appetizer, main course or dessert. Us unfortunate allergy people will have 1 or 2 choices for the same $$$. it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just wish there was an option to only order 1 course. Well I guess that option is to not dine at those restaurants. Ok, pity party over.
By the way, I understand the math behind this trend. They can now assure that each guest will spend X amount of dollars. Not take up a table and only order soup and water.

Have you tried asking for a modified version of the different courses? There might only be one dish you can eat based on the menu description, but the chefs can usually modify other dishes to something you can eat, like leaving out nuts or using gluten-free breading for fried foods.

I eat gluten free so I understand, but most of the time the chefs are willing to modify items or try to compensate with something off menu to help. I also don't eat pork or fish so when the menu is already limited to allergy-friendly, that can make it even harder.

It sucks. Doubt that many people like this either but they do it to maximize profits. I am surprised BOG is still popular these days.

Not take up a table and only order soup and water.
That's the problem, it's a guest behavior issue. At these "experience" restaurants like Be Our Guest and Space 220, guests will book a table to share one desert among four people and sit there for two hours playing on their phones just to "be inside Beast's castle" or whatever.

It sucks. Doubt that many people like this either but they do it to maximize profits. I am surprised BOG is still popular these days.
It's to maximize profits *and* it's a guest satisfaction policy. By forcing prix fixe, it keeps the people like I described above out of the restaurant and it makes reservations a bit easier to get for people who ACTUALLY want to go there and eat a meal.

Have you tried asking for a modified version of the different courses? There might only be one dish you can eat based on the menu description, but the chefs can usually modify other dishes to something you can eat, like leaving out nuts or using gluten-free breading for fried foods.

For some dual allergy folks, that's impossible.

For example, at Space 220, with dairy, tree nuts, (and mango, since the main tree nut allergy is the cashew family), I've got strawberry sorbet for dessert - that's it. Nothing else can be modified b/c most of the desserts use one or the other component to make dessert happen for other allergy/dietary needs. I know this in all restaurants, so I never plan to eat dessert. That's a problem in 3 course prix fixes...

Not that I'm eating there, but combo allergies and prix fixe become impossible, especially since you only want to ask chefs to be careful once. The more courses you order that can have problems, the more chances for screw ups in the kitchen and the more cost to the kitchen (since they have to pay attention to your dishes 3 separate times). I routinely order only one course (or two if there is no possible allergy component or cross contamination to me in the 1st course, like a fresh fruit plate or a miso soup)...so I only ask restaurants to be careful and spend time on my food once...

Disney is pretty accomodating when it comes to allergies. I would try this approach.

We usually go to BOG, Ohana, Topolinos and Boma and we’ve had chefs make something for our kids who have multiple food allergies. The only dismal experience was at CRT where the chefs were less accommodating. BOG actually has a vegan cake (one child has dairy/egg allergies) which is really good (I get it in place of the too sweet trio) and our waiter at Boma actually had someone run down to Mara to get the Erin McKenna mini brownies. Sometimes it’s just sorbet, which my kids don’t eat. I do wish they would carry Toffiti at all of the restaurants. Ohana did a dessert sundae for our son using Enjoylife cookies.

I think there are other ways to solve the problem of people trying to game the system at certain restaurants. Early breakfast so you can be first in line for certain rides or want to see what the interior of the restaurant looks like without actually ordering a meal can be solved in other ways then having a menu with limited choices and an expensive fixed price for everyone. Involves some planning and common sense by Disney. Park restaurants serving breakfast should not be used as a way to 'game' the system by allowing you park access before everyone else. Either don't serve breakfast, don't open until the park does or only the restaurants near the front of the park should serve breakfast before the park opens and not allow park access until it actually opens for everyone else.

Now that Space220 just opened and lots want to go there, why even have 'lounge/bar seating' where some will likely order one drink just to see what the inside looks like? I have seen pictures of what looks like lounge seating are regular tables just painted a different color. That takes away space (and revenue) from those who do want to have a meal. A better option would have been to only have regular restaurant seating and eliminate the 'lounge/bar' option. After the initial rush is over in perhaps several months or a year from now, they add in the lounge option with some sort of seating cover charge. It is one thing if the restaurant is mostly empty and no one at the bar, but clearly at a brand new Disney restaurant that isn't the case.

Last edited:
I think there are other ways to solve the problem of people trying to game the system at certain restaurants. Early breakfast so you can be first in line for certain rides or want to see what the interior of the restaurant looks like without actually ordering a meal can be solved in other ways then having a menu with limited choices and an expensive fixed price for everyone. Involves some planning and common sense by Disney. Park restaurants serving breakfast should not be used as a way to 'game' the system by allowing you park access before everyone else. Either don't serve breakfast, don't open until the park does or only the restaurants near the front of the park should serve breakfast before the park opens and not allow park access until it actually opens for everyone else.

Now that Space220 just opened and lots want to go there, why even have 'lounge/bar seating' where some will likely order one drink just to see what the inside looks like? Pictures I have seen looks like lounge seating are regular tables just painted a different color. That takes away space (and revenue) from those who do want to have a meal. A better option would have been to only have regular restaurant seating and eliminate the 'lounge/bar' option. After the initial rush is over in perhaps several months or a year from now, they add in the lounge option with some sort of seating cover charge. It is one thing if the restaurant is mostly empty and no one at the bar, but clearly at a brand new Disney restaurant that isn't the case.

This sounds like a good idea to me. The cover charge could go towards your total bill as long as you spend X$s. If you don't spend enough you have to add the cover charge to the bill. I'm sure there are those who wouldn't like this idea but I do understand the need to eliminate the sightseers who only want to order one item to be split between many and overstay their welcome.

I sympathize with those with allergies. As a diabetic, I see the same issue... I have to commit to a prix fix price and hope that my needs will be accommodated. For me that is switching out the boatload of carbs and sugars. the newer menus don't look that promising.

It may just be my imagination... or my increasing grumpiness on the subject, which I'll admit... but I never used to find this such an issue!

I don't like Prix fixe either. I don't have a big appetite. I am vegetarian. Options are limited.
I like if they have both. I understand that this is their way of ensuring people are actually ordering and paying for a substantial meal, instead of taking up a table just to see the restaurant... only ordering dessert, but it does make it difficult for others. Maybe once the hype dies down, they will offer a regular menu.

I will say that I was considering the Epcot package at Rose n Crown but after looking at the Prix fixe menu I don't think my DH would be very happy not to mention it's probably too much food for us especially at 9PM. I didn't see anything offered for the first course that we would want to order and I know my DH wouldn't like any of the offerings for the main course. I think I will just make our normal dinner reservation at this location and hope for the best.

well for every table that just ordered the dessert was a table of 8 like mine where we basically ordered every app they had, each got our own meal and then dessert too -- never was less than 100$ per guy -- now i'm assuming these prix fixe menus have not only limited it but i'm sure the portions and quality are going to decline --- might not be doign our normal california grill extravaganza and go to capa instead at the 4 seasons

This sounds like a good idea to me. The cover charge could go towards your total bill as long as you spend X$s. If you don't spend enough you have to add the cover charge to the bill. I'm sure there are those who wouldn't like this idea but I do understand the need to eliminate the sightseers who only want to order one item to be split between many and overstay their welcome.
I like this idea, too. I went in originally thinking I'd order a drink or two and either 2 apps or an app and dessert. The app I got (chicken on waffle) was way too heavy for me last week (which was super hot) - so I continued to spend on drinks but was tapped out re: food. But regardless, I would've been okay with a 25 dollar fee or whatever (I went to a great scotch bar in Chicago like this - the seats were, I think, 100 bucks and if you spent that much on drinks, there was no additional charge. I took my partner there for some once-in-a-lifetime Pappy van Winkle, so we were covered in terms of cost but it also meant I felt fine paying for the drinks because I knew the cost either way).

We don't have any allergies, but prix fixe often doesn't work for us. There are so many other options, often much better than the prix fixe restaurants. With so many options at Disney and nearby in Orlando, it's really easy to use "avoid prix fixe" as a criteria.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter