Printing Cruise Pictures with borders at a different size

claryche

DIS Veteran
I just got back from our Magic cruise and we purchased the cd with all our pictures, paid the hefty price to do so. Now I'm looking at printing some of those pictures, and having issues. Since all the pictures have the borders, when I try to print the 8x10 pictures as a 5x7 size, it cuts off part of the border, since I have to crop it for the 5x7 size. Is there any way around this problem? I really like 5x7 pictures better and now kinda upset that I spent all that money and the pics will all have to be cropped and look strange.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't seen their pictures but yes, the ratio different between an 8x10 and a 5x7 so you will end up with portions being lopped off.

However... you could crop it inside the frame (remove the frame) and re-size - as long as there is enough room to spare on the sides of the photo.

I would love to know if its possible to get he photo cd without the cheesy borders? Those borders are a huge reason why I will not buy the image CD again.

I would love to know if its possible to get he photo cd without the cheesy borders? Those borders are a huge reason why I will not buy the image CD again.
No, all photos come with borders. The only exception I've heard of was someone who was able to show that the border applied to a specific photo cut out people in the picture. Shutters did print that photo without a border.

No, all photos come with borders. The only exception I've heard of was someone who was able to show that the border applied to a specific photo cut out people in the picture. Shutters did print that photo without a border.

Thank you, So I will not be able to request a photo to be printed without a border unless someone is cut out? Darn..that stinks :(

You can always do different sized crops and extend the size beyond the border though it might be a different color around the border etc. If there are a couple that you love and know what size you want you could send the full size pic to me and I can rework it up for you and send it back. I am a photographer and have all the necessary programs to do such :-)

I just got back from our Magic cruise and we purchased the cd with all our pictures, paid the hefty price to do so. Now I'm looking at printing some of those pictures, and having issues. Since all the pictures have the borders, when I try to print the 8x10 pictures as a 5x7 size, it cuts off part of the border, since I have to crop it for the 5x7 size. Is there any way around this problem? I really like 5x7 pictures better and now kinda upset that I spent all that money and the pics will all have to be cropped and look strange.

Thanks in advance.

Just went through this with my 20 photos from our Fantasy cruise. Not particularly pleased. Just don't understand how they could screw up photos the way they did! And the thumbnail size was ridiculous!

Very, very good to know about the borders now so I am not ever tempted to buy the picture CD. I have no interest in having borders on my pictures. Sad but it lets me know now so I can avoid that mistake.

Sorry to the other posters though that found out the hard way about the resizing issues.

Last edited:
Very, very to know about the borders now so I am not ever tempted to buy the picture CD. I have no interest in having borders on my pictures. Sad but it lets me know now so I can avoid that mistake.

Sorry to the other posters though that found out the hard way about the resizing issues.
Even the printed photos have the borders. I'll also point out that "borders" isn't what they all are (as in a design that goes around the whole picture). Sometimes it's just the DCL logo with ship name/sail date in the corner.

Even the printed photos have the borders. I'll also point out that "borders" isn't what they all are (as in a design that goes around the whole picture). Sometimes it's just the DCL logo with ship name/sail date in the corner.
Even then, I want to be the person to choose what goes on my photos. We use the Photopass services in the parks sometimes and purchase the CDs. I can take my pictures and add things to them - if I want - or I can leave them "natural." That is what I would expect from the pictures from the ship. Although, the cost of the CD on the ship is well over triple the cost of the one in the parks, it appears there is no ability to customize your own photos. I think that's sad.

I have been contemplating whether to get a CD or not for the Alaska cruise. The photographers did not do a good job taking pictures with our cameras on our last Med cruise. They are mostly blurry, not in focus, etc. I only have the stand-and-point cameras, and they just did not hold still to focus before shooting. I hope to get some nice pictures with the CD. Now, I am not sure after learning about the sizing and border problems with the pictures. Sigh ...:worried:

I think it's so stupid that they insist on the borders. I will still probably buy the CD, though, as this will be our first cruise with our son.

I wish they would make it more like Photopass where you get the full photo PLUS the one with a border. I don't love that they slap a logo or random border on every photo either. I'm a scrapbooker and sometimes those borders are annoying!

I think it's so stupid that they insist on the borders. I will still probably buy the CD, though, as this will be our first cruise with our son.

FWIW, there's no reason to actually pose for those photos. You can get your own photos all over the ship of your son, rather than in posed, "everyone else has this shot", pictures. If you don't pose for them, it's not painful to not get them.

FWIW, there's no reason to actually pose for those photos. You can get your own photos all over the ship of your son, rather than in posed, "everyone else has this shot", pictures. If you don't pose for them, it's not painful to not get them.

I know; I just wanted family portraits like we get with Photopass at WDW.

You can always do different sized crops and extend the size beyond the border though it might be a different color around the border etc. If there are a couple that you love and know what size you want you could send the full size pic to me and I can rework it up for you and send it back. I am a photographer and have all the necessary programs to do such :-)

Thanks so much for the offer. I see where you are coming from and I might try to see if I can do that. If not I might be in touch with you.

Thanks for the replies. I really wish it was more like photopass for many reasons. One being the borders but even more than that, I don't like it how they only do the posed pictures. I mean there is nothing cuter than when a little one or even a not so little one anymore comes running to Mickey to give him a hug. And I didn't see one of the photographers on the cruise take those pictures. Unlike at the parks, where some of my favorite photopass pics are the hugs and kisses and other such things that the characters do. In fact on the cruise Stitch was really playing with my son, since he had a Stitch pen and a small Stitch. And the photographer just stood there. Yes I took pictures, but theirs would have been better I'm sure. And even when they did the posed one, Stitch put his hand in front of my son's face playing and I told the photographer to go ahead and take the pic, I thought it would be cute. But they didn't. They only took the standard pose ones.

I did notice while we were scrolling through all our photos that you can order printed copies without the borders. I didn't even think to ask if it was possible to order them on the CD since we paid for all the prints and CD.

Our experience with the photographers was very different from them only taking the posed photos. While on the Magic we manged to make great friends with the photographers and they really hammed up the photos. I noticed that as we got further into the cruise the photographers were getting friendlier with all the "regulars" and were taking much more interesting photos (one of which was my partner break dancing with Chip and Dale). I'm sure the same rule applies to most other CS positions, if you treat the photographer as a person you will get farther then if you treat them as an object.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter