PrincessJasmine's vegetarian reviews (and my family's non-vegetarian perspective)

Moonpie...definitely tell your waitress your concerns at 50's PT. You can't believe how enthusiastic Chef Jimmy was about finding me something to eat. I really did believe him when he said that the chefs get bored sometimes and they like creating new dishes. If you feel like having fries and a shake then go for it, but don't think it is your only option. Chef Jimmy also offered me a veggie burger, but he wasn't sure if it had peppers in it or not. Most do, so I passed on that option, but he said they usually have frozen veggie burgers they can make you.

Alright, next up is The Hollywood Brown Derby. We had a mixed experience here. The restaurant is absolutely beautiful and I love the atmosphere. We pretty much eat here every trip. To start off the meal, my older sister and I split the cobb salad. This usually comes with turkey and bacon and is designed for two people. The server was very accomodating and put the turkey and bacon on the side so my sister and I could both enjoy the salad the way we like it. Although this salad is meant to be for 2 people, it would be great as a vegetarian entree. It is so good! It has tomato, boiled egg, bleu cheese, chives, and avocado. The lettuce is chopped really small and it all blends together wonderfully. I would never go to the Brown Derby and not have this salad, it is to die for. They also brought delicious white dinner rolls with the salad that were really great.

For dinner I ordered the Thai noodle bowl. However, right before our food came there was an...um....incident at the table next to us. The little boy at that table "got sick" all over the floor. I don't want to gross anyone out, but man did it diminish my appetite!! As the floor all around our table was "dirty" we were moved to another table. Anyway, after this experience it was kind of hard to eat! However, the noodle bowl was fabulous. It is thin noodles with coconut crusted tofu. The tofu was some of the best I have ever had, I loved the coconut flavor. The noodles were great too, and the broth they were in was wonderful. There were also some pea pods in the broth. I would highly recommend this vegetarian entree. I can't remember what my family had here, I will ask them later if I remember!

For dessert I had creme brulee which was good. It was vanilla bean flavored, and very creamy!

The manager came out to talk to us during our meal to make sure everything was okay after the little incident. He also informed us that our meal would be on the house! He apologized for the inconvenience. It really wasn't a big deal. I mean yes, it was gross, but it was in no way the manager's fault! It was a very nice gesture though, just shows how Disney always wants everything to be perfect. We were very impressed with all the staff at the Brown Derby and will definitely return to this restaurant.

Great review once again! Thanks for the advice. I'm definately gonna ask for something different to eat at the 50's PT, and sorry about the barf at the Derby. I bet that kid was eating something with peppers in it. :rotfl:

PrincessJasmine, from one vegetarian to another, thanks for the reviews!

I did notice that you said that you had the s'mores at 50's PTC. I don't know how they are made there exactly, but if they are made with regular marshmallows then they are not vegetarian. I know that sounds strange but marshmallows have gelatin in them which is an animal by-product. I've been a veggie for almost 17 years and it took me a while to figure that out.

Anyway, I can't wait to read more reviews.

tigerdragon said:
PrincessJasmine, from one vegetarian to another, thanks for the reviews!

I did notice that you said that you had the s'mores at 50's PTC. I don't know how they are made there exactly, but if they are made with regular marshmallows then they are not vegetarian. I know that sounds strange but marshmallows have gelatin in them which is an animal by-product. I've been a veggie for almost 17 years and it took me a while to figure that out.

Anyway, I can't wait to read more reviews.

I was thinking the same thing when I read it...marshmallows aren't "safe" -- it's amazing what they sneak animal by products in. Beef fat in Mcdonald's fries, chicken fat in some BBQ potato chips ... baked beans are infamous for having meat and in a lot of restaurants, they'll tell you something is meatless, and not even realize that it's made in beef or chicken stock (like fried rices, beans, etc) At home my DF is a carnivore and cooks a lot out on the grill, so out of respect to me, he reserves one side of the grill and a pile of utensils just for me. :teeth:

I'm loving your reviews PrincessJasmine. Thanks!

Marshmallows are not vegetarian?!!! Nooooooooooooooooo! :furious: What's this world coming too?!!!

Maybe she is not a strict vegetarian. She did say she had the meat taken off the Cobb salad, but then mentioned eating the boiled egg, which is definately an animal product.
Also, Allearsnet has a list of restaurants with vegetarian and vegan options.

mapmakerj said:
Maybe she is not a strict vegetarian. She did say she had the meat taken off the Cobb salad, but then mentioned eating the boiled egg, which is definately an animal product.
Also, Allearsnet has a list of restaurants with vegetarian and vegan options.

You got it! I'm not strict. Maybe I will become strict, but not for now. Marshmallows, eggs, and cheese are all okay by me. Maybe I shouldn't technically call myself a vegetarian because of this, but I don't know what else to call myself! Sorry to be misleading, I guess I should have specified that I am not a strict vegetarian. More reviews are coming...

You can call yourself a Lacto-ovo (I think that's how you spell it) vegetarian. That means you eat dairy and eggs, but no animals. I'm lacto-ovo myself cuz I just couldn't do without some cheese, butter, milk, and all sorts of things made with animal products. I just don't like eating animals.

A vegan is someone who doesn't eat, or use any animal product. That could mean not using regular glue, not wearing leather shoes, not eating milk chocolate, not eating honey...etc. you get the point.

Anyway, I think your reviews have been very helpful! Keep them coming! :Pinkbounc

I'm also an ovo-lacto vegetarian but I don't eat anything with gelatin in it because of what it is made from. I'm looking forward to more reviews. I'm glad to know 50's PTC will make something else because I'm not too fond of peppers and we will probably be eating there in March.

Thank you for the great reviews! I have been a vegetarian for 20 years now. I have been the Disney World 3x and always find something good to eat.
I love reading what other veggies eat :)
The pasta dish at 50s sounds delicious! :thumbsup2

I'm lacto-ovo too! However, I can't stand pasta so it is very difficult to find things besides veg. burgers and salads! Thanks for the reviews. I'll have to show my DH the part about the chef coming out to talk to you. He thinks I'm crazy when I say they will make a special dish for me if I ask (like at Ohanas).

Moonpie said:
You can call yourself a Lacto-ovo (I think that's how you spell it) vegetarian. That means you eat dairy and eggs, but no animals. I'm lacto-ovo myself cuz I just couldn't do without some cheese, butter, milk, and all sorts of things made with animal products. I just don't like eating animals.

A vegan is someone who doesn't eat, or use any animal product. That could mean not using regular glue, not wearing leather shoes, not eating milk chocolate, not eating honey...etc. you get the point.

Anyway, I think your reviews have been very helpful! Keep them coming! :Pinkbounc

Got it. That's what I am!

I totally didn't know about the marhmallows though. I guess you learn something new every day. Being with an entire family that eats meat I think it is harder to be aware of what may or may not have meat in it. I think I'm done with marshmallows now...

Tidus said:
I'm lacto-ovo too! However, I can't stand pasta so it is very difficult to find things besides veg. burgers and salads! Thanks for the reviews. I'll have to show my DH the part about the chef coming out to talk to you. He thinks I'm crazy when I say they will make a special dish for me if I ask (like at Ohanas).

Have you eaten at 'Ohana and been offered something different? The Polynesian is my favorite hotel and I have always wanted to eat at 'Ohana for dinner, but we never went because we figured there would be nothing there for me. I would love to hear about your experience there if you've been!

Alright, here we go...Sci Fi Dine-In

We had an ADR for 5:15 at the Sci-Fi. My little sister gets horrible migranes and she had one all day. She was taking a nap around when we needed to leave for dinner and we didn't want to wake her up so we didn't end up getting to the restaurant until 5:55. We didn't know if we would be seated or not, so I explained the situation to the hostess when we arrived. She was extremely rude and snippy. I was overly apologetic for our late arrival and I asked her if there was any way at all we could be seated and I told her we were perfectly willing to wait. She just said "go sit over there and we'll see if we can seat you some time tonight. Consider yourself lucky, other hostesses would have turned you away." I had fully acknowledged that we were late, had explained why, and had apologized profusely. I thought this was an entirely inexcusable reaction.

Anyway, we were seated about 5 minutes later despite miss cranky pants. My sister and I shared the spinach artichoke dip to start. I love spinach artichoke dip so I don't give an unbiased opinion of it, but it really was great. It came with tortilla chips which were good as well.

The only vegetarian entree at Sci-Fi is a vegetable potato bake. Of course it has peppers in it. The way it is made is that there are layers of grilled vegetables on top of a potato pancake so the waitress told me it could be prepared without the peppers. However she then turned to me and said "it isn't one of the house favorites though if you know what I mean." Enough said! She scared me away from ordering that and I instead had the BLT soup and a side salad. This is a tomato basil soup that is normally topped with bacon and lettuce. I of course got no bacon and I decided to skip the lettuce too. Lettuce on soup just sounded weird. It was very good. It was extremely rich and creamy, very filling. The salad was good too.

We opted to skip dessert and had Mickey bars in the park instead!

Although our dinner got off to a rough start it turned out to be very good. The atmosphere at this restaurant is so cool, it is definitely worth seeing!

Sorry to hear about the rude hostess at the Sci Fi. That seems very "undisney" of her to have been acting that way. I would have been inclined to have said, "Oh, well we tried dragging my sister here while she was having her migrane, but the blood dripping from her ears would have stained your nice furniture. :teeth: " Then I would have smiled and said, "Have a magical day!" :wizard:
The Sci Fi is fun. However I don't like sharing a table/car with another family. When I went there last year I ordered off the children's menu... just a grilled cheese sandwich. They offered to put some veggies on it for me. I've done that at other restaurants too.

PrincessJasmine08 said:
Have you eaten at 'Ohana and been offered something different? The Polynesian is my favorite hotel and I have always wanted to eat at 'Ohana for dinner, but we never went because we figured there would be nothing there for me. I would love to hear about your experience there if you've been!

I'd love to hear a vegetarians perspective of Ohanas as well. We have an ADR for our first night in Sept. It was DH's only request (after hearing how much his brother's family loved it) and DH is kind enough to put up with going to WDW trip after trip with me!

Moonpie said:
Sorry to hear about the rude hostess at the Sci Fi. That seems very "undisney" of her to have been acting that way. I would have been inclined to have said, "Oh, well we tried dragging my sister here while she was having her migrane, but the blood dripping from her ears would have stained your nice furniture. :teeth: " Then I would have smiled and said, "Have a magical day!" :wizard:
The Sci Fi is fun. However I don't like sharing a table/car with another family. When I went there last year I ordered off the children's menu... just a grilled cheese sandwich. They offered to put some veggies on it for me. I've done that at other restaurants too.

Oh wow. I'm crossing Sci Fi off my list now ... I don't like sharing tables with other guests, either. No offense to anyone, but when me and DF are on vacation alone, we like to, oh, I don't know, have dinner....ALONE! We love spinach artichoke dip, but I don't really want to have soup for dinner in August. So, another ones bites the dust....

Waiting with baited breath for Princessjasmine's next review....I'm glad you folks eat at all different places! :thumbsup2

Tiki Room Fan said:
Oh wow. I'm crossing Sci Fi off my list now ... I don't like sharing tables with other guests, either. No offense to anyone, but when me and DF are on vacation alone, we like to, oh, I don't, have dinner....ALONE! We love spinach artichoke dip, but I don't really want to have soup for dinner in August. So, another ones bites the dust....

Waiting with baited breath for Princessjasmine's next review....I'm glad you folks eat at all different places! :thumbsup2

We have a family of 4. The way the seating works is that there are cars with 3 rows. It is 2 people to a row so we usually get 2 rows and then there are 2 random people in the other row. Last time our waitress referred to them as "our hitch hikers," which was kind of funny. Anyway, you don't really have to talk to the other people, they're just kind of there.

Moonpie said:

You're cracking me up! :rotfl2: That is exactly what I should have said to her! I'll try it if it ever comes up again...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter