Princess Sasquatch

The Rovang Gang

Mouseketeer
We're a tall family. My 9 year-old DD is 5 ft. tall and wears a size 9 shoe in women's. The problem is that when she sees her two little sisters in legit Disney princess dresses, she's going to want one too.

Thoughts:
1. Anything I find in an adult small is the "sexy" version. Uh...no.
2. I considered altering a prom or bridesmaid dress, but I don't sew and it won't look like a real Disney princess. It'll look like she's going to prom.
3. We can't afford a custom job.

I'd appreciate any of YOUR thoughts.

Thanks!

The Rovang Gang said:
We're a tall family. My 9 year-old DD is 5 ft. tall and wears a size 9 shoe in women's. The problem is that when she sees her two little sisters in legit Disney princess dresses, she's going to want one too.

Thoughts:
1. Anything I find in an adult small is the "sexy" version. Uh...no.
2. I considered altering a prom or bridesmaid dress, but I don't sew and it won't look like a real Disney princess. It'll look like she's going to prom.
3. We can't afford a custom job.

I'd appreciate any of YOUR thoughts.

Thanks!

Have you tried the biggest kid's size? I'm 5'1 and 120 lbs and I've been able to fit the new tutus they have. That could be really cute for her. They are funky princess tutus. The belle and ariel ones are awesome. Good luck!

Have you looked on etsy? A lot of the seller's on there will make dresses to fit if you send measurements. I did this for my daughter. We bought ours from tootietots.

The Rovang Gang said:
Hmm....I could definitely make a tutu. If they ALL have tutus...thanks for the idea.

At disney store and all the stores in wdw that sell the dresses, they sell really neat tutus for about $29.95 I would say.

I just bought a Belle dress on eBay that fits our daughter who is tall. She typically wears a 7/8 but in this dress she has to wear the 12, which as princess dresses go..that'll be ok! It's almost ankle length which is what I prefer! Just do some online looking. No luck at the Disney store however! Oh and this dress was only $25 brand new!

Last year my 11 year old who was 5 feet at the time wore a Disney jasmine costume that was a size 12/14 and it fit her fine. Have you tried the larger Disney sizes? We actually found ours on ebay.

Yeah, I would definitely try the largest costume for her. It may be shorter, like ankle/calf length but it may be ok depending on the princess she picks. I know when I was a FGIT some of the thinner FGITs in the 5'-5'4" range could fit in the dresses easily.

009-1.jpg

This is my dd (and me) back when she was just turning 13. Now, I'm 5'8'', so that would make her about 5'5'' in this shot. She is now 5'10''!! We went for her 13th birthday, with another mother and dd who was also turning 13...best friends since birth class!!!
Anyway....My Kate went as Aurora and I was, well, it's obvious isn't it??!! Now, Kate's dress came to about her knees but she wore it proudly. There is no way she would have done that at home. But at WDW it was more than okay!!! She was on the thinish side. It was a childs Large 10-12. I would give that a try.
Oh, and her friend went as Belle....she was just as tall, and her dress came to her knees as well.

Can you buy the biggest/longest dress you can, then just extend the length by putting on a deep ruffle in a lace that matches the color of the dress... or using tulle/netting? You could do the netting/tulle thing by hand, even, if you don't have a machine. You might not get it full length, but I bet you could get it at least to mid-calf if not more.

Last year my 11 year old who was 5 feet at the time wore a Disney jasmine costume that was a size 12/14 and it fit her fine. Have you tried the larger Disney sizes? We actually found ours on ebay.

Ditto for the larger sizes - my DD is 5'3" and change she can still wear her Princess Tiana size 14 princess dress. Note Princess Tiana dress needs a short slip it's pretty see thru if you're wearing colored underwear.

We bought her dress in the parks but I would encourage you to check ebay and craigslist

My DD wanted to dress up but didn't want a princess dress per se, so we went with the tutu look also. I showed her a few styles on etsy and she actually went with the "queen of hearts" look which turned out cute. I got the tutu for $15 and she wore it with a yellow shirt, black sweater and leggings. I made the crown out of foam and glued it to a hair clip. She got lots of complements on it and enjoyed the attention from Alice. If they all went with tutu outfits I bet they'd have a blast!

8482459617_ca67102e44_z.jpg

Oh, man! You all are the best! So many great ideas. I know this is going to really make her trip. She's at the age where she's embarrassed to admit she like princesses. I might incorporate several of these ideas on different days.

Thank you SO much!

There's a lot of stuff on etsy.com that is actually pretty affordable, and really cute!

Also depending on the costume, I'd say she could fit into a lot of the large or extra large dresses, I'm a 5'3 adult who's not super skinny and I could fit into the larger sizes of certain costumes.

Also look into some of the adult ones, actually try them on. The packaging makes them look a lot worse than they are. The picture will have the girl with layers of crinoline/tutus under the skirt, and the top pulled down really far with the girls chest pushed up, when you actually try them on, they fit a bit different (plus, we don't all have those measurements)

And as previous poster has said, check out the cute little princess tutus, those with a little tiara and matching coloured tank, adorable!

My DD was the same at that age and we found a seller on eBay who makes adult costumes out of stretchy material so they fit a large range of sizes. You can find something if you look.

Good luck

A teacher at the school where I taught last year wore a true Snow White costume for book character day. She is super tall, and I asked her where she got it because I had been looking for one and all I could find were the "sexy" versions too. She said she got hers off ebay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter