• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess Olivia's 1st DLP Visit - Pre-trip report.

HappyPanda

DIS Veteran
As it's now only 25 days until our trip, I thought it would be nice to start a little pre-trip report. I am hoping that this will inspire me to do a full trip report when I am back!

So here we go.....

The Crew:

The Birthday Girl - Olivia

310922_10150360756366391_690246390_10180980_434067103_n.jpg

Favourite Ride: She hasn't been to Disneyland before but I am going to put my money on her loving BTM!
Favourite Character: Minnie Mouse
Most Likely to be Heard Saying: I love you Minnie!

The Planner and the Mummy - Helen (me!)

IMAG0032.jpg

Favourite Ride: Tower of Terror
Favourite Character: Donald Duck
Most Likely to be Heard Saying: Calm down, Olivia!

The Daddy - Andrew

DSC03098-1.jpg

Favourite Ride: Rock N Rollercoaster
Favourite Character: Any of the pretty princesses
Most Likely to be Heard Saying: Nooooooo.. not It's a Small World.

The Survivor & Granddad - Gordon

DSC03429.jpg

(this photo makes me so sad and happy at the same time, it was taken during the middle of my Dad's cancer fight. So I feel sad look at how ill he looks here, but so happy that he survived and now looks MUCH healthier!)

Favourite Ride: Another first time DLPer, I think he'll love the charm of It's a Small World.
Favourite Character: None - he isn't overly enthused with the characters.. but this will soon change when he's there I'm sure.
Most Likely to be Heard Saying: Can we sit down now?

The Nanny and world's oldest teenager - Linda

Richmond-upon-Thames-20110727-00450.jpg

Favourite Ride: Rock n Rollercoaster
Favourite Character: Mickey Mouse
Most Likely to be Heard Saying: I never want to go home!

TBC.....

The When:

Monday 12th March - Friday 16th March 2012

The How:

We will be travelling by Direct Eurostar from London St Pancras.

The Why:

I've also wanted to take Olivia to DLP. It's a place that holds a great place in my heart. From 2000 -2003 I had the great pleasure of working for the Disneyland Paris Reservation Centre, this was when they still had a dedicated UK booking team. It was the best job I've ever had. It also gave me lots of chances to visit DLP (for free!). My first working visit, was spending 3 weeks at the CRO in the resort itself. We got to stay in all the hotels, even spending 4 nights in a massive suite in the Newport Bay Hotels. I was in Disney heaven and the bug definitely bit me!

The original plan was to take Olivia for her 4th birthday, but unfortunately my Dad was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer in November 2010 and spent 9 months of last year in hospital battling that and various other infections he picked up along the way. There was no way I could enjoy a trip to DLP knowing that my Dad was so unwell so we took the decision then to make this trip once he was better and we'd take him with us!

So here we are, I'm pleased to say that my Dad survived his cancer fight. He's doing so well, he got out of hospital in August 2011 and was unable to walk, since then he's really pushed himself. Starting out with a Zimmer frame, moving onto a stick and now he's able to walk unaided again. He even returned to work last month - to say I'm proud is a complete understatement.

So this trip to Disneyland Paris is more special to me than just a trip for Olivia, it's also a celebration of all that my Dad has accomplished. :lovestruc

Olivia's birthday is on 23rd March. So the trip is actually a little bit before her birthday, but I've told her that she gets an extra long birthday this year and she will be wearing her birthday badge the whole time she's there!

The Where:

After much deliberation, we decided to stay in the Cheyenne. This is the very first hotel I stayed in when I went with the school when I was 11 (1995!) so it holds some good memories for me.

I had originally wanted to go to the Sequoia Lodge but it was quite a bit more expensive and I'd rather save that money to spend in the park! :banana:

The Reveal

Originally, when we decided to take Olivia to Disneyland, we wanted to try and keep it a surprise until the moment we stepped of the train at Marne Le Vallee. But after finding out her best friend went to DLP over Christmas I began to worry that keeping it a secret from her would mean she missed out on the excitement of building up to the magical trip.

So, the decision was made to tell her - but how? I wanted to do something that would involve reading, as she loves to practise her reading. Initially I thought about doing a poster on a wall like the advert, but then I saw the postcard favour thread! :love:

So I posted on there asking for someone to get Minnie Mouse to send Olivia a postcard from the resort, and received a very kind volunteer in the form of MaleDisneyBeliever! :worship:

The postcard arrived on the doorstep on Monday morning, unfortunately after Olivia had already left to go to the childminders and I had to go to work! :sad1: All day I work I was eager for it to be 5.30 so I could get home and see her face when she saw the postcard on the mat.

Unfortunately, Daddy and Olivia got home before me so she had already seen it when I got home, but the moment I opened the door she ran up to me shouting that Minnie had invited HER to Disneyland Paris for her birthday!

Here's a couple of pics of the postcard and the happy girl!

IMAG0226.jpg

postcard.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

How wonderful you have written of your trip cast :lovestruc so lovely :love:

And the face of your DD holding the card is so adorable :rotfl:

Your dad is a hero what a great man!

I love that postcard it is AMAZING how exciting! x

You've got a wonderful trip planned - I love the post card :thumbsup2

How lucky to have worked for the reservations team - I often say I'd make a fortune selling DLP holidays, because whenever anyone asks me about it I ramble on forever :rotfl::rotfl: I've 'sold' the idea to so many people I reckon I should be owed some commission by now :lmao:

Happy planning :goodvibes

Let the countdown begin...

Today has been a productive day so far! Olivia and I got up early (while Daddy was still snoring:rolleyes:) and went straight into town on the bus to buy some supplies. These consisted of:

• An argos catalogue (to chop up :eek:, but my brother is the manager of the store so it's allowed! :rotfl2:)
  • Some marker pens
  • Some fluorescent paper
  • An A2 sketch book
  • Safety Scissors
  • Glue Stick

When we got home we set straight to work, cutting out Disney character's from the Argos book, sticking them onto fluorescent shapes and then onto the sketch pad. We then added a countdown from 30-1 and et voila... we were done!

The finished result....

IMAG0228.jpg

I must admit, I'm quite impressed with our efforts. I am the least creative person I know, so by my normal standards; it's not turned out too bad! :dance3: :cheer2:

Only 23 days to go!! :banana:

How lucky to have worked for the reservations team - I often say I'd make a fortune selling DLP holidays, because whenever anyone asks me about it I ramble on forever :rotfl::rotfl: I've 'sold' the idea to so many people I reckon I should be owed some commission by now :lmao:

It was a great job! I loved sharing the magic with people, especially first timers! I still try to share the magic now, I just don't get paid for it! :rotfl:

20 Days To Go! :banana::banana::cheer2:

So, as we are getting nearer to the trip I've started to plan where we will eat at night. I'm not going to plan the lunches as normally we just end up where is quietest in the park!

So far, the dinner plan is looking like this:

Monday 12th - Annette's Diner ---- We have to eat here on this night as it's closed for the rest of our stay.

Tuesday 13th - Wild West Show ---- This is already booked!

Wednesday 14th -Rainforest Cafe ---- I ate here in February last year and loved the themeing and I think that DD will, too.

Thursday 15th - Cafe Mickey ----As this is our last night I thought we'd do a character dinner and get a birthday cake brought out for DD.

The only other meal we have planned is a girls only lunch in Auberge De Cendrillon on maybe the Tuesday. I've told the boys that they have to have a cheap EOS lunch to even the cost out a bit! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

It sounds like you are going to have a great trip. I love the countdown:goodvibes

It sounds like you are going to have a great trip. I love the countdown:goodvibes

Thanks, I've put the picture of DD with the countdown on my pc desktop at work and each day I edit it to tick off another day. It puts a smile on my face every time I see it! :cutie:

Love the countdown we have a board and we wipe it off to how many weeks but tomorrow we are putting days (10 days :D)!

Loving your plans x

What a lovely pre-trip report and I LOVE the postcard idea! Also love the countdown and wish I'd thought of that for ds.

• Two weeks to go!!!! :banana::banana::banana:
  • Sooooooooooo much still to plan! :scared1:
  • Get paid on Wednesday :dance3:
  • Then it's Disney shopping time! :cheer2:

So, DH got paid today and I couldn't resist heading to the Disney Store on my lunch! :rotfl:

I've bought DD a gorgeous Disney Princess Trolley Case and a matching bag (just big enough for her to put her camera and spending money in!).

I can't wait to see her face tonight when I let her see them.... pics to follow! :thumbsup2

So, DH got paid today and I couldn't resist heading to the Disney Store on my lunch! :rotfl:

I've bought DD a gorgeous Disney Princess Trolley Case and a matching bag (just big enough for her to put her camera and spending money in!).

I can't wait to see her face tonight when I let her see them.... pics to follow! :thumbsup2

I love this I really want to go to the Disney Store today I have been on the website having a look at everything! :rotfl:

I love this I really want to go to the Disney Store today I have been on the website having a look at everything! :rotfl:

I looked at the website and added a few things to my basket... total came to £195.00!! Glad I managed to restrict myself in the shop to just £30! :rotfl2:

I do love that online they will personalise the items for you for not much extra. But I think Olivia will love her case and bag even without it having her name on it! princess:

I am sure that the planning can sometimes be just as much fun as the trip itself. Gawd knows what I'll do with my time once the trip is over.. but I will try not to think of that for now! :thumbsup2

So, somehow on the way home from the childminders I managed to get Olivia to become convinced that she couldn't go to Disneyland unless she had a pink Disney Princess suitcase! So when she walked in the door to find one there, she was absolutely gobsmacked!

I tried to get a photo of reaction, but she was jumping up down out of excitement so the only shot I got was all blurry!

Nevertheless, I did manage to get one picture of her posing with her new case!

IMAG0276.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter