Princess Katyana's Wish Trip! Pre-Trip Report

mamaVonna

Mouseketeer
12 years ago, my husband and I welcomed into the world a beautiful baby girl. We named her after our mothers Kathy Anne & Patricia Anne. Her name is Katyana Patrice and she was absolutely perfect!

Never did we imagine our baby would grow to be incapable of the many great things we saw in her future. Seemingly "normal" the first 3 months of her life, I started to notice little things that didn't seem quite right. Her legs didn't seem to move just right, she didn't roll over much-just seemed content to lay on her back and laugh and kick and squirm. Of course I addressed this with her pediatrician but he didn't seem concerned. Telling me that all kids develop at a different pace...not to worry. Fast forward a couple months and she just would not sit up by herself. Usually around that age babies begin to support themselves and can sit nearly unassisted. I start panicking, call the Dr. again to hear the same as before. When she was 7 months old she got a cold. Fever, stuffy nose, cough, etc. 2 weeks went by before she started showing signs of improvement. It was then that she refused to hold her bottle. She barely moved. She wouldn't hold her spoon anymore and had the toughest time getting and keeping food in her mouth. Back to the Dr. we went. This time, as soon as I told him what was going on he looked over her file and excused himself from the room. When he came back, he told me to get right over to our local children's hospital, they are waiting for us....WHAT?! He went on to say it's not normal for children to lose milestones, so NOW he was concerned about her neurological function.
After a tearful call to my husband we made our way to the hospital and began the whirlwind journey that has become our lives.
Katyana has severe spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy, an almost 95% curve in her spine from Scoliosis (she can't be operated on; tried it, and there's nothing they can do about it). I feel so bad for her because she's very bright, but because her muscle tone is so incredibly high she can't do anything. Except smile. She has the most beautiful smile and some days that's all that keeps me going.
We've tried surgery, braces for her arms, wrists, feet, legs, back...she's so strong none of it has made a difference. Her little body is crippled all over and muscles are constantly firing. The only relief she has is while she's sleeping. She's also 100% g-tube dependent. Never had problems with swallowing or aspiration, I just can't get her mouth open long enough to feed her.
Ok, enough of the sad stuff...

Although she's non-verbal, Katyana speaks volumes with her big bright eyes and toothy smile. She loves Princesses and Fairies, jewelry, clothes, shoes, and anything pink. The brighter the better!

She's going into 7th grade and will be in the same high school as her big brother, and she is THRILLED!
I didn't think she would qualify for MAW so I didn't bother trying a few years ago when a nurse first asked if I'd ever considered it. I'm upset with myself now I didn't try sooner when she was doing better. Her cp and scoliosis has advanced so much she's uncomfortable sitting in her wheelchair longer than an hour or so at a time. So while we're in the parks I'll have to take her out every hour to get her stretched and give her a quick massage...I'm sure she won't mind!

She's so excited about her Wish trip! We watch YouTube videos of the rides she'll be able to enjoy, as well as many of the characters she and her siblings will be able to meet. She's especially looking forward to meeting Rapunzel (and Flynn) and Princess Tiana. She got a Tiana costume and crown for her birthday that she can't wait to wear!

Tiana crown.jpg Tiana Gown.jpg

This will be short and sweet because I have a 4 year old having an apparent meltdown a couple rooms away. We are excited to finally start making moves on our baby girls Wish trip. I applied in February and quickly received a call that she was approved. :cheer2: From that point we were told a pair of volunteers would be appointed to her case and once that was done, we'd hear from them to officially get her Wish. Ok awesome! But then nothing...we waited :hourglass and waited :rolleyes1, and nothing. No calls, emails, or the welcome packet we were told should arrive in a few days. :confused3
Of course I busied myself with details. Katyana is non-verbal so we had to get creative in figuring out what her true Wish would be. I know the volunteers are supposed to do that, but hey at this point they were non-existent and I had to do SOMETHING besides twiddle my thumbs :thumbsup2
Needless to say, our home has been hopelessly consumed by all things mouse. Tyana looks like she's going to burst at the seams whenever I suggest a disney activity. We've been re-acquainting ourselves with all the movies. It's been fun introducing the kids to the classics I grew up watching such as The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. princess:
One day a little over a week ago I received a call from out of state around 9pm that I almost let go to voicemail...I sure am glad I decided to answer because it was one of our volunteers (*gasp*) Anna! She introduced herself and went on to tell me that she usually only gets kids in her area (N. Ky) but since Tyana has been waiting so long she went ahead and signed up to take her case. :dancer: I almost cried!! She said she'd be in touch once she spoke to the other wish granter, Taylor. Woohoo! I got an email yesterday morning that we can meet this Friday evening. I am beyond excited and now all my furious planning has purpose!

Well I feel as though things are finally moving along! We met the wish granters Friday and it went very well :woohoo:. Anna and Taylor arrived right on time and with a gift for each of the kids. Tyana got a small Princess make-up case with lip balm and gloss and an iTunes gift card so we can download some new music onto her iPad. They brought Kavon a Target gift card (I've found teenage boys hard to buy for-we got him a 32"in flat screen for Christmas to replace his enormous really really really OLD big screen, terrible picture, doesn't work half the time...yeah, he didn't want it. Not big enough...so it's in our bedroom now). :offtopic: sorry....Kaylei got a cute Littlest Pet Shop set which was PERFECT for her because she adores animals. Keira got a Mega Bloks car set.
After opening gifts, we settled in to talk a little about Tyana's wish. As soon as we mentioned Disney, Tyana's eyes lit up and she didn't stop smiling the rest of the visit! We were asked if there was anything extra we wanted to do. I think this is where most folks ask for BBB or a character meal. Nope, not us. Tyana wants (ok, so do I) to go to MVMCP! I really don't have my hopes up too high for it though. I have yet to see any MAW chapter provide tickets to this event. It's almost always a character meal and BBB...so fingers crossed! If they don't approve the party, I'll ask for a character meal. No BBB for us. Tyana will get her hair braided before the trip and she already has the dress and tiara. We can stop at the castle and have her sprinkled with Pixie Dust free of charge.
Oh we also got an ADR scheduled for Tusker House for breakfast! I'm still debating if I should try to schedule something for our MK day. I missed the 180 day mark because I figured we'd just pack some snacks and get turkey legs and other treats at the park. I'm not crazy am I? If I did any character meal there I'd prefer BOG. Heard the food isn't great but the castle makes it ll worthwhile.
Anna and Taylor also asked me about the send-off party. They wanted to know what type of gathering we'd prefer-something small with just our household, mid-sized with some family and friends, or a big event with the school or community. We told them the mid-size would be perfect. I then mentioned that I've been looking at some things and have a few ideas...
Anna surprised me and said that since our conversation about Tyana's wish a couple weeks ago, she's been all over Pinterest looking at DW and Princess themed parties so she very nicely told me to let her handle the party...:rotfl2: Yeah, we'll see:thumbsup2. DH jumped in laughing and said "good luck with that"! OMG, she even told me to "be like Elsa and Let it go"...really :rotfl:I promised to try.

Oh, a little more about the visit. They also asked if we had any significant medical equipment we would need there at the resort (suction machine, feeding pumps, bags, iv poles, syringes, and Compleat Pediatric for us). Also if we would need car seats and a stroller rental. They told us about the resort and we gave them a list of the 3 choices of dates we wanted. I also gave them the ADR's that I've already made. We gave them copies of birth certificates, id, and Tyana's decorated star.
The wish granters seemed really excited, this is only their second wish and their first Disney wish! Anna especially seems happy to plan things and make magic happen for Tyana. pixiedust: I really should "let it go" and let her do her thing. :rolleyes: *Sigh*
Then we had several papers to sign and before leaving, Anna said she'd get the papers in the mail the following day and should have an answer in about 3 weeks! It'd be great if they approve our first choice dates and if we know that in 3 weeks but from reading on this forum people don't usually find out their dates until much closer to the trip. I guess because of plane tickets? Not sure why. Of course I've already found the perfect flights but I know they rely on donated skymiles and will likely go with the more affordable choice of airline. Just hoping we can get an early flight in and late flight out so we can maximize our time there! :cloud9:

Back to share a few more photos. Shoes to go with Tinks Tiana gown; bow and pearl earrings and of course a Tiana pin!Tinks shoes.jpg Tiana Pin and earrings.jpg

Where did you get the earings and pin? Did you order them? They are beautiful! I can't wait to see her all dolled up! I've seen videos of people meeting Tiana and she looks so fun, just like how she is in the movie!

I watched some of the Disney Haul videos after you mentioned that....gives me lots of ideas of stuff to bring home!

Where did you get the earings and pin? Did you order them? They are beautiful! I can't wait to see her all dolled up! I've seen videos of people meeting Tiana and she looks so fun, just like how she is in the movie!

I watched some of the Disney Haul videos after you mentioned that....gives me lots of ideas of stuff to bring home!
Thanks! I got both the earrings and pin on Amazon. You can't tell from the picture, but the earrings have little crystals all through the bows. They're very sparkly.
Those haul videos are so helpful aren't they? I have a list (of course) of what things I just have to have! :hyper:

Just uploaded pictures of the girls autograph book to another thread...might as well post it here too before I forget!
autograph book.jpg

autograph book3.jpg
autograph book2.jpg

I'm so excited! I was able to change my ADR for Akershus from 9:20 to 8, now we can get into the park early to get (nearly) empty park pictures! :dancer: I'm hoping to be able to do the same with Crystal Palace, but no luck so far.

This will be short and sweet because I have a 4 year old having an apparent meltdown a couple rooms away. We are excited to finally start making moves on our baby girls Wish trip. I applied in February and quickly received a call that she was approved. :cheer2: From that point we were told a pair of volunteers would be appointed to her case and once that was done, we'd hear from them to officially get her Wish. Ok awesome! But then nothing...we waited :hourglass and waited :rolleyes1, and nothing. No calls, emails, or the welcome packet we were told should arrive in a few days. :confused3
Of course I busied myself with details. Katyana is non-verbal so we had to get creative in figuring out what her true Wish would be. I know the volunteers are supposed to do that, but hey at this point they were non-existent and I had to do SOMETHING besides twiddle my thumbs :thumbsup2
Needless to say, our home has been hopelessly consumed by all things mouse. Tyana looks like she's going to burst at the seams whenever I suggest a disney activity. We've been re-acquainting ourselves with all the movies. It's been fun introducing the kids to the classics I grew up watching such as The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. princess:
One day a little over a week ago I received a call from out of state around 9pm that I almost let go to voicemail...I sure am glad I decided to answer because it was one of our volunteers (*gasp*) Anna! She introduced herself and went on to tell me that she usually only gets kids in her area (N. Ky) but since Tyana has been waiting so long she went ahead and signed up to take her case. :dancer: I almost cried!! She said she'd be in touch once she spoke to the other wish granter, Taylor. Woohoo! I got an email yesterday morning that we can meet this Friday evening. I am beyond excited and now all my furious planning has purpose!

You are not kidding about those eyes! She speaks volumes through those BEAUTIFUL eyes! Cant wait to hear more!!!!!!!!!

Just got a call from one of the wish granters...it's official-finally 100% approved and we got the dates we wanted! No flight info yet, now fingers crossed we get an early flight in and late flight out:goodvibes
She also mentioned that our expense check will include our scheduled Character breakfast at Akershus. Still not sure about tickets to MVMCP but that was dd's main wish so she's pretty sure that request will be approved. Not sure if we can swing those ticket prices on our own. DH is convinced we'd basically be paying almost $450 for "free" hot chocolate and cookies. Nope, he does not understand the "magic" involved the way I do :rotfl2:!

Now I feel like I can truly unleash the planning beast-there is still soooo much to do! I can work on our countdown (although I'm still undecided on exactly what to do). As of today we are 146 days out, maybe I'll start the countdown at 100 days. That will give me plenty of time to make a decision and embrace my inner artist.

Most of our shopping is done. I kinda went nuts and already bought a bunch of tops and the girls costumes. Our (when I say our I really mean myself and the kids) shirts are all Disney and dh just has a solid shirt to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing each day. He is of the kind that refuses to participate in matching shirts, Disney-gear, or anything mouse related (I guarantee he'll be the only one in our group of 6 not sporting ears *sigh*). I kind of regret not checking some etsy shops beforehand. Now I think I'd love one or two matchy shirts with our names on them, but I just can't justify spending any more $$$ buying things that aren't quite necessary.

Speaking of $$$, I had the bright idea to have a yard sale soon. One would think the goal of the sale would be just to de-clutter or possibly get some extra cash for school shopping...not I...first thing out of my mouth was "oooh I should have a yard sale so we can buy more wdw gift cards". It's become a slight obsession:laughing:. When you order from disney store there are so many cute designs to choose from. The crafter in me figures I can use them in scrapbooks or shadow boxes. Surely I can figure out something to do with them. Of course a wiser thing to do would be to finish buying the odds and ends that we need for the trip. Toiletries, new shoes, Tinkerbell gifts, etc. Decisions, decisions.

Just got a call from one of the wish granters...it's official-finally 100% approved and we got the dates we wanted! No flight info yet, now fingers crossed we get an early flight in and late flight out:goodvibes
She also mentioned that our expense check will include our scheduled Character breakfast at Akershus. Still not sure about tickets to MVMCP but that was dd's main wish so she's pretty sure that request will be approved. Not sure if we can swing those ticket prices on our own. DH is convinced we'd basically be paying almost $450 for "free" hot chocolate and cookies. Nope, he does not understand the "magic" involved the way I do :rotfl2:!

Now I feel like I can truly unleash the planning beast-there is still soooo much to do! I can work on our countdown (although I'm still undecided on exactly what to do). As of today we are 146 days out, maybe I'll start the countdown at 100 days. That will give me plenty of time to make a decision and embrace my inner artist.

Most of our shopping is done. I kinda went nuts and already bought a bunch of tops and the girls costumes. Our (when I say our I really mean myself and the kids) shirts are all Disney and dh just has a solid shirt to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing each day. He is of the kind that refuses to participate in matching shirts, Disney-gear, or anything mouse related (I guarantee he'll be the only one in our group of 6 not sporting ears *sigh*). I kind of regret not checking some etsy shops beforehand. Now I think I'd love one or two matchy shirts with our names on them, but I just can't justify spending any more $$$ buying things that aren't quite necessary.

Speaking of $$$, I had the bright idea to have a yard sale soon. One would think the goal of the sale would be just to de-clutter or possibly get some extra cash for school shopping...not I...first thing out of my mouth was "oooh I should have a yard sale so we can buy more wdw gift cards". It's become a slight obsession:laughing:. When you order from disney store there are so many cute designs to choose from. The crafter in me figures I can use them in scrapbooks or shadow boxes. Surely I can figure out something t

o do with them. Of course a wiser thing to do would be to finish buying the odds and ends that we need for the trip. Toiletries, new shoes, Tinkerbell gifts, etc. Decisions, decisions.

It does become an obsession doesn't it :) So worth it though! Everything has to be perfect!!!!!!! So flipping excited for your crew!

Happy I found a DISigner that made some pretty neat letters and Mickey head designs for our wish trip! Wasn't going to go all matchy-matchy but it's grown on me. Guess I'll have to unpack and re-evaluate all our outfits. Mr. Grumpy aka DH is not on board with matching shirts. He'll be the oddball of our bunch :confused3 but I did manage to sneak in one design with his name. Surely after he see's just how awesome it is he'll be happy to wear it...:dancer:
I'll post pics when I figure out how to do it. The original file is pretty large and I can't do a quick upload. Plus it's 320am, I really should call it a night :surfweb:.

Following along :wave2:

Katyana is beautiful and I can only imagine how excited she must be! Our baby DD's nickname is Tink too :goodvibes.
Hi! :wave2:, thank you-she really is very excited. She's not been feeling very well lately but Disney talk cheers her up! You have a lovely family!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter