• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess half marathon! Any tips? (:

Fabulousmommy

Earning My Ears
Who has ran the Disney princess half marathon? I've made it a personal goal of mine to be able to run the 2013 Half marathon and would love any help I could get! I've also been blogging about how I've been training and I hope it's around how I'm suppose to be doing it! Any tips on the race, training, cost, etc. are welcome! Thanks so much!

Princess 2012 was my first half marathon and was the BEST time of my life!!

OK you asked for tips - here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

~Try to get in a 10K or more in your training to submit a time to get in a good corral - I ran a 10K last Thanksgiving in 1:06.30 which got me in Corral B which helps give you a buffer zone between you and the sweepers!

~Dress up for the race, its more fun to run dressed up like a princess!

~When you get tired of training, train even more!

~Body Glide!!!!!! Use it!!!!! It will be your best friend!!!!!!

~Hydration before, during and after!

~If you can afford the Race Retreat, go for it, you will feel like a celebrity, plus you get private port-a-potties which is fabulous!!

~I had read something last year leading up to the Princess last year, to pay yourself a dollar for every mile you train, save it up for something special, and I did that!! I got myself tons of cute shirts at the expo ;)

~I kept a journal last year training for the Princess, and I'm so happy I did, to look back and remember the feeling of my milestones, as well as the pain of defeats, but knowing it all came together and I ran in a half marathon!! I'm currently keeping a journal for the TOT 10-miler too! I want to remember it all!!

If I think of more, I will post more!! Have fun training, its hard work but its so worth it!!

Find a training plan. Stick with the plan as best you can. In the vent you bail on a run or have a life issue, do not beat yourself up and do not try to make it up. Just go on.

You cannot cram. Make a visible calendar so you see how the times and distance progress. Celebrate the increases. Make sure that you are not looking up in January going wow, how do I get enough miles to get into the race. - yes it happens

Listen to your body. It will tell your - most of the time - that it needs a break or attention. Injuries can usually be prevented if one listens

Run some local races. It will give you a feel for the starts and the tough segments. It will teach you more about pace than any training run.

Start in the corral commiserate with the time you plan to run. In you local races and at Disney do not start off in a group faster than your capable or planning to run.

You have a blog - keep it up. Note distances, times, feelings, weather and course. This will help you in the event you want to look at something later in the training cycle.

HAVE FUN

A few more things: find a local running store that will video tape you running to fit you for shoes. Shoes make all the difference! You don't want to give up because of pain or get an injury because of skimping on them.

Look up videos in YouTube. Remembering will help you through the long runs. This may sound mean, but I would also look for people way more out of shape than I am so later I could think "hey, if that woman can do it, I have no excuse!"

Print the training calendar and put it on the wall somewhere you will see it. Put checks or happy faces or whatever when you finish a run. Some people get Disney stickers for this.

If you want more accountability, get an account on DailyMile and log your runs. Looking back, I can see my whole training. It is hard go believe that in November I was so excited to break the 5 mi marker, and now I am training for a marathon! Celebrating my first 5k quickly turned into "easy day today, only three miles!".

I also had the course map as my background. Then I can think "okay, I did 8 miles today, that gets me to the Polynesian!" I currently have the WDW Marathon course as my background.

And lastly, tell EVERYONE!! I drove my poor husband nuts. I have warned him it will continue. When I first said I was going to do a 5k, everyone laughed. My bank called about fraud on my account when I bought running gear. My friends got used to "sorry, can't drink tonight, gotta do a 6 mile run tomorrow.". But knowing that not trying meant everyone would know I gave up stopped me from ever quitting. Luckily my husband is so happy with the changes he's seen from my training, he's more supportive. ;)

Good luck!

A lot of the other ladies have covered some of my ideas...I ran the 2011 as a bucket list item before I turned 30 with my Mom and Aunt. I got VERY sick at the end...was in the medical tent for an hour due to some sodium imbalance issues. I swore I would never run again after that race as I'd trained for the better part of 6 months and was really mentally frustrated after that experience. Then a few weeks before the 2012 Princess (my Mom was registered again), I started thinking about it again....reliving the INSANE high of running down Main Street in Magic Kingdom, wondering if I could really do it without health issues, etc. I signed up 14 days before the race, knowing I wouldn't PR and knowing I would need to do a structured walk-run. My only goal was a happy and healthy finish. And guess what?! I had the frigging time of my life AND I PR'ed...by 3 minutes! I have never been so proud. I practically cried when my Mom and I crossed the finish line. I wish we had a photo of our crazy bear hug when we were done. The pride you feel running across that line is enough to keep you going back.

So down to details...
1. Find a plan and stick to it. Keep yourself accountable with a training buddy, whether in real life, or virtual. I like the idea of blogging about training runs (we do...werundisney.blogspot.com)
2. Stay healthy...if something doesn't feel right, back off. Your body knows best.
3. Eat well the night before a long run.
4. Treat yourself when you make big strides...some new running duds, a cupcake, etc.
5. And I LOVE the idea of banking money for every mile run...the gear at the Expo is a-ma-zing! Save up for that, for sure!
6. Stay at one of the reasonable resorts, find a good flight (I love SW) and bring drinks and snacks to cut down on food costs. We love Caribbean Beach...well priced and you can pick up some food at their Food Court for a good price.

Above all else, good luck! The Princess is an amazing race and I know you will have the time of your life! princess:

Christine
werundisney.blogspot.com

Enjoy the journey! Have fun with the training, planning, costume making ect! Unless you really want to run a PR (and maybe even then) it's all about the bling- enjoy that too! wear your medal/tiara everywhere you go after (at least at WDW).

...~I had read something last year leading up to the Princess last year, to pay yourself a dollar for every mile you train, save it up for something special, and I did that!! I got myself tons of cute shirts at the expo ;)...

LOVE this idea. Thanks for sharing! I also strongly agree with your suggestion of running a 10K beforehand.

Everyone else has already given great advice. A few more things...

1. Use training to practice hydrating and fueling during your runs so that you can figure out what works best for you before race day.
2. Don't forget your camera!!! :thumbsup2
3. Don't forget throwaway clothes for the morning of the race. You'll need to get to your corral by 5AM at the latest, and you'll be waiting around for 45 minutes or so until the race starts.
4. Speaking of getting to your corral, don't get on the bus from your hotel to the start at the last minute. You don't want to be late!
5. You asked for cost tips...the earlier you sign up for the race, the cheaper it will be. At some point the price is going to increase by $10 or so. I'd also suggest not booking your room (assuming you're staying on property) through the WDW-IRUN number. I think there are better discounts out there if you look.

I ran the Princess Half in 2011...you can read about it here if you like. :wave2:

I hope you have a blast! It's a really fun race. :thumbsup2

~I had read something last year leading up to the Princess last year, to pay yourself a dollar for every mile you train, save it up for something special, and I did that!! I got myself tons of cute shirts at the expo ;)
I absolutely LOVE this idea! I already have a special savings account set up called "Race/Registration", so on payday, I can tally up how many miles I've done and move the bucks over!

A few more things: find a local running store that will video tape you running to fit you for shoes. Shoes make all the difference! You don't want to give up because of pain or get an injury because of skimping on them.

Look up videos in YouTube. Remembering will help you through the long runs. This may sound mean, but I would also look for people way more out of shape than I am so later I could think "hey, if that woman can do it, I have no excuse!"

Print the training calendar and put it on the wall somewhere you will see it. Put checks or happy faces or whatever when you finish a run. Some people get Disney stickers for this.

I also had the course map as my background. Then I can think "okay, I did 8 miles today, that gets me to the Polynesian!" I currently have the WDW Marathon course as my background.
Running Store - Fit2Run is a running store in FL that does this - it's how I learned that I over-pronate (my ankles roll when I run) and got a great pair of Brooks. They were very helpful and patient with me (a very overweight non-runner).

YouTube - YES! I think that is how I decided to jump into this. I saw someone's video and I was seeing all of these women older than me, larger than me, more out of shape than me and said to myself (I talk mean in my head) "If that fata$$ can do it, so can THIS fata$$!!!"

Training Calendar - I made a monthly calendar in Excel that tells me what I need to do that day, or which days are off days, and it is posted on my fridge, on my armoire (in sight of the treadmill), on my office cork board and integrated into monthly menu I make for home. I can't get away from my Training Calendar, and it's good motivation for me. Each month has a Disney Quote or Marathon Motivational Quote on it (May says "If it was easy, everyone would do it" and June says "The only way to achieve the impossible is to believe it is possible" from Alice in Wonderland). Also, I put it in a page protector so that I can use those dry erase markers to check off my days or make notes to myself. There is something so self-satisfying about checking or crossing off days with a big red marker!

I hung a copy of the race route on my armoire so that I can see how far I've gone. When I'm ready to give up, I can see that I'm so close to whatever and go just a bit further. I've only made it to the Toll Plaza, but I'm getting there!!!!

3. Don't forget throwaway clothes for the morning of the race. You'll need to get to your corral by 5AM at the latest, and you'll be waiting around for 45 minutes or so until the race starts.
...I'd also suggest not booking your room (assuming you're staying on property) through the WDW-IRUN number. I think there are better discounts out there if you look.
Keep an eye out for inexpensive hoodies/pullovers, gloves and winter gear around Christmas time. I remember last year on Black Friday, I got a Danskin quarter-zip fleece pullover for $4. Walmart usually has skull caps or fleece ear warmers and those dorky magic gloves for a buck or so. If you are gonna toss 'em, you might as well not spend TOO much! (Granted, if we get a winter like we did a few races ago, where it was like 20 degrees, go ahead and get some REAL gear :thumbsup2)

Another option is perhaps booking your room to ensure that you get the hotel you want, and then shop around for a better deal. I've never booked with WDW-IRUN, but if it's the same as booking normally, you can book the Run rate and if a great deal comes out for your hotel, you can switch to the better deal. This way you have a room booked and don't have to worry about not getting what you want if you wait too long for a deal!

Thanks ladies for great tips. I wish I had more to add, but I've not yet run my Princess race, so I'm just here for tips and encouragement!

Thank you everyone so much for yalls awesome advice!!!! I'm going to be taking a lot of it! Hahahahahaha and i LOVE the advice find someone less in shape than you! Hilarious! One more thing? Do any of you have blogs?? I need more people to follow! It keeps me motivated! Mine is

Fabuloustodaynotfattommorrow.blogspot.com

There is an earlier thread that has a list of people's blogs. By the way, the Princess Half was my first half and it is a wonderful race. You will love it!

Love love loving this thread & all these fabulous tips!!!
I've run 2 half-marathons, my 3rd is in November & I'm seriously considering the Princess Half in 2013. I would love to Run Disney - it sounds like so much fun!! Any tips on making the race trip to WDW affordable would be great. I'll definitely be checking out some of your blogs- what a great way to stay accountable & have some "virtual" running buddies (most of my friends think I'm nuts-- my husband included!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter