Princess cruises; Alaska

Ok my time to ask, and yes know I have committed a sin already with the thread not being DCL.

For the cruise experts out there, on Alaska, and how have sailed with Princess as well.

I have been disappointed with DCL's Wonder itinerary to Alaska, and with my Med 7/30/2011 being changed started to look at the alternatives.

One alternative I am researching is Alaska with Princess, they say they are regularly voted best cruise line to Alaska and have permits for Glacier Bay. I have sailed with Princess many times and found there ships,service, and crew very good.

Now they have *too many* options and I want to cut that down to what is the best.

Options/views on these:-

-Connoisseur Voyage Cruise
This exciting 14-day cruise ventures deeper into Alaska to explore out-of-the-way places rarely featured on other itineraries. Visit Seward and Kodiak as well as popular Inside Passage ports of Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan. Glacier-viewing in Glacier Bay National Park and Tracy Arm Fjord plus a stop in Victoria, B.C. complete this unique, 2-week Alaska cruise exploration round trip from Seattle.

or

-Inside Passage - 10 Days Round Trip San Francisco
This 10-day itinerary features ports of call in Victoria, B.C., Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan plus glacier-viewing in Glacier Bay National Park.
Like this as I would like to go to San Fran again. So can add 4 nights there.

or

7-night Voyage of the Glaciers Cruise with 5-night Land Tour featuring 1-night Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge, 1-night Denali Princess Lodge, 2-nights Fairbanks and 1-night Seattle.
The train and Denali national park look appealing but see fewer ports.

All these include flights for me and appear to be very competitive against DCL.

View from the experts who have cruisesed in that area before with these add ons.
I've done Alaska twice with Princess and will do it again wih them approximately every 5 years. That said, we also signed up for the Wonder to do Alaska in 2011 but we are looking at that as an "inbetween" trip just to tide us over until our next "real" Alaska trip in 2013.

I'd go with a SB out of Whittier and have land portion of the trip before. Princess does an excellent job with their land tours. So as long as possible but try to make sure you get at least 2 nights at Denali so you have time for the Wilderness tour into the park. It is a LONG bus ride but very worth it.

The first trip we did was 2 nights Fairbanks, 2 Denali, 1 McKinley and 1 Anchorage. The last one we did I added time in Anchorage so we did 2 nights Anchorage, 1 McKinley, 2 Denali. With the added time in Anchorage we had time to do Prince William Sound Glacier tour again. Definitely worth it.

I've done Alaska twice with Princess and will do it again with them approximately every 5 years. That said, we also signed up for the Wonder to do Alaska in 2011 but we are looking at that as an "inbetween" trip just to tide us over until our next "real" Alaska trip in 2013.

I'd go with a SB out of Whittier and have land portion of the trip before. Princess does an excellent job with their land tours. So as long as possible but try to make sure you get at least 2 nights at Denali so you have time for the Wilderness tour into the park. It is a LONG bus ride but very worth it.

The first trip we did was 2 nights Fairbanks, 2 Denali, 1 McKinley and 1 Anchorage. The last one we did I added time in Anchorage so we did 2 nights Anchorage, 1 McKinley, 2 Denali. With the added time in Anchorage we had time to do Prince William Sound Glacier tour again. Definitely worth it.

This does sound a consensus, land first, Denali min two days, thanks for advice.

This does sound a consensus, land first, Denali min two days, thanks for advice.
Land first isn't a "consensus"! We intentionally did two northbound cruises followed by 9 days on land. The "wow factor" is greater going north, and you get more hours of daylight going that direction.

From my experience, I would recommend skipping both the tourist traps at Talkeetna and the Princess McKinley lodge.

Instead, stay somewhere in Denali National park, either camp or stay at the Kantisna Lodge. Denali is most often obscured in clouds so plan several days to get the best chance for a view.

I would also recommend an excursion to see the bears at Katmai NP. This is the only place that you will get a close view of wild bears. You may see bears in Denali, but will only appear as a small fuzzy spec on a mountain. At Katmai, a good lens can spot the salmon stuck in the bears teeth.

Note that Kantisa Lodge and Katmai NP are extremely remote. You need to be in reasonable health and not affraid of small planes or long bus rides. A medical emergency in these places would require an airlift.

I paid $1500.00 for three of us for the helicopter dog sled experience in Juneau. Worth every penny!

-Paul

Land first isn't a "consensus"! We intentionally did two northbound cruises followed by 9 days on land. The "wow factor" is greater going north, and you get more hours of daylight going that direction.

From my experience, I would recommend skipping both the tourist traps at Talkeetna and the Princess McKinley lodge.

Instead, stay somewhere in Denali National park, either camp or stay at the Kantisna Lodge. Denali is most often obscured in clouds so plan several days to get the best chance for a view.

I would also recommend an excursion to see the bears at Katmai NP. This is the only place that you will get a close view of wild bears. You may see bears in Denali, but will only appear as a small fuzzy spec on a mountain. At Katmai, a good lens can spot the salmon stuck in the bears teeth.

Note that Kantisa Lodge and Katmai NP are extremely remote. You need to be in reasonable health and not affraid of small planes or long bus rides. A medical emergency in these places would require an airlift.

I paid $1500.00 for three of us for the helicopter dog sled experience in Juneau. Worth every penny!

-Paul

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I wouldn't want to cruise and find I missed an important bit and this thread highlights thoose, like Glacier bay.

That's how we feel, too. I guess I'll be checking this thread periodically until we can see prices/itineraries for other cruiselines and then take it from there. Alaska will probably be a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation for us, so we want to fit in as much as we can. :hippie:

PS See DCL have a 30 min show on Sky???

Our DD8 saw it a few days ago, so they must be repeating it. She was so excited to see "her" ship on the telly! :laughing:

That's how we feel, too. I guess I'll be checking this thread periodically until we can see prices/itineraries for other cruiselines and then take it from there. Alaska will probably be a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation for us, so we want to fit in as much as we can. :hippie:

Looks like Princess have Alaska really organised will look out for their release of 2011 cruises.

Our DD8 saw it a few days ago, so they must be repeating it. She was so excited to see "her" ship on the telly! :laughing:

Yes its on a bit and also a big advert in the News of the World today, for Med and repo to UK, but not Baltic as they have sold very well,

Looks like trying to fill the Med 2010 up. Sales must not be going well the prices including flights to the Med look very good.

If you are interested in an Alaska cruise in 2011, cruise itineraries should be available by April/May. However, itineraries don't change significantly from year to year, as there are only 4 glacier areas (Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, Tracy Arm Fjord) and about 6 Alaska port towns (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka [one of my favorites], Haines, and Icy Strait Point) that are available to make up the typical 7-night cruise. If you depart from Seattle, one port stop will be in Canada - usually Victoria, or less often Prince Rupert.

The major cruise lines that go to Alaska are Princess, Holland America (as good as Princess, in my opinion, with better land tour itineraries), Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Carnival. If you're interested in a luxury cruise experience, Crystal will return to Alaska in 2011, in addition to Regent. There are also small boat cruises like Cruise West, Lindblad, and a few others.

Do some reading now! I suggest you bookmark the Alaska board at Cruise Critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55 My favorite guide books for Alaska are Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth and Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. The Frommer's book is especially helpful if you also plan to do a land trip.

**If anyone is interested in reading the trip report from my first Alaska cruise and land trip in 2007, including lots of ramblings - here it is (the land trip report starts at post # 20): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=576979

If you are interested in an Alaska cruise in 2011, cruise itineraries should be available by April/May. However, itineraries don't change significantly from year to year, as there are only 4 glacier areas (Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, Tracy Arm Fjord) and about 6 Alaska port towns (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka [one of my favorites], Haines, and Icy Strait Point) that are available to make up the typical 7-night cruise. If you depart from Seattle, one port stop will be in Canada - usually Victoria, or less often Prince Rupert.

The major cruise lines that go to Alaska are Princess, Holland America (as good as Princess, in my opinion, with better land tour itineraries), Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Carnival. If you're interested in a luxury cruise experience, Crystal will return to Alaska in 2011, in addition to Regent. There are also small boat cruises like Cruise West, Lindblad, and a few others.

Do some reading now! I suggest you bookmark the Alaska board at Cruise Critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55 My favorite guide books for Alaska are Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth and Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. The Frommer's book is especially helpful if you also plan to do a land trip.

**If anyone is interested in reading the trip report from my first Alaska cruise and land trip in 2007, including lots of ramblings - here it is (the land trip report starts at post # 20): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=576979

Good info; thanks.

We are booked on the Wonder to go to Alaska, but I have many of the same concerns that you do Andrew about the itinerary. So I have started doing research into land/sea trips. I reviewed the cruisetours of both Princess and HAL and then priced out DIY land trips. What I found is that we could accomplish more on our own cheaper than a cruisetour.

For example, for the price of a 4-day Princess cruisetour (2 nts Fairbanks, 2 nts Denali, 7-day SB Voyage of the Glaciers cruise), we could do the following:

• 2 nts Fairbanks
  • 2 nts Denali
  • 2 nts Anchorage
  • 2 nts Seward
  • 2 nts Girdwood
  • Rail between all points
  • 7-day SB Voyage of the Glaciers

This is just an example for discussion purposes, but it does show how much more you can do on your own for the price of a cruisetour.

In terms of cruise itinerary, the Voyage of the Glaciers cruises both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, which is much more attractive than just doing Tracy Arm with DCL.

Like you, I'm also waiting for the 2011 schedules from Princess and HAL to make a final decision. But at the moment, I'm leaning towards cancelling our DCL cruise and doing a DIY land/Princess SB cruise.

We are booked on the Wonder to go to Alaska, but I have many of the same concerns that you do Andrew about the itinerary. So I have started doing research into land/sea trips. I reviewed the cruisetours of both Princess and HAL and then priced out DIY land trips. What I found is that we could accomplish more on our own cheaper than a cruisetour.

For example, for the price of a 4-day Princess cruisetour (2 nts Fairbanks, 2 nts Denali, 7-day SB Voyage of the Glaciers cruise), we could do the following:

• 2 nts Fairbanks
  • 2 nts Denali
  • 2 nts Anchorage
  • 2 nts Seward
  • 2 nts Girdwood

This is just an example for discussion purposes, but it does show how much more you can do on your own for the price of a cruisetour.

In terms of cruise itinerary, the Voyage of the Glaciers cruises both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, which is much more attractive than just doing Tracy Arm with DCL.

Like you, I'm also waiting for the 2011 schedules from Princess and HAL to make a final decision. But at the moment, I'm leaning towards cancelling our DCL cruise and doing a DIY land/Princess SB cruise.

Looks good and in the ball park of my thinking.

• 2 nts Fairbanks
  • 2 nts Denali
  • 2 nts Anchorage
  • 2 nts Seward
  • 2 nts Girdwood

For more convenience, I would recommend renting a car and driving between the Alaska towns. However, I would fly into Anchorage and rent from there. A flight to Fairbanks and a one-way car rental will cost more than a flight and rental car from Anchorage.

I would also look into coupon books for some savings on hotels and excursions:

TourSaver - www.toursaver.com
Northern Lights - http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

When visiting Denali - we stayed 2 nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy - about 12 miles north of the park entrance: www.denalilakeviewinn.com

For more convenience, I would recommend renting a car and driving between the Alaska towns. However, I would fly into Anchorage and rent from there. A flight to Fairbanks and a one-way car rental will cost more than a flight and rental car from Anchorage.

I would also look into coupon books for some savings on hotels and excursions:

TourSaver - www.toursaver.com
Northern Lights - http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

When visiting Denali - we stayed 2 nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy - about 12 miles north of the park entrance: www.denalilakeviewinn.com

Thanks, my son and I are train lovers and I have seen the nice trains out there and find them quite appealing. So I am looking at that more than hire car.:thumbsup2

Thanks, my son and I are train lovers and I have seen the nice trains out there and find them quite appealing. So I am looking at that more than hire car.:thumbsup2

I would not drive in the UK, so I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to drive in Alaska.

The most scenic train route is between Anchorage and Seward. Our northbound cruise on HAL ended in Seward, so we spent the day there, then took the 6 p.m. train to Anchorage. The next morning we picked up our rental car for the rest of the land trip. Even if you choose a SB Princess cruise out of Whittier, do try to visit Seward.

I would not drive in the UK, so I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to drive in Alaska.

The most scenic train route is between Anchorage and Seward. Our northbound cruise on HAL ended in Seward, so we spent the day there, then took the 6 p.m. train to Anchorage. The next morning we picked up our rental car for the rest of the land trip. Even if you choose a SB Princess cruise out of Whittier, do try to visit Seward.

London driving, is an art form, if you can drive here you can drive anywhere, nothing will ever worry you, driven many times in USA, just prefer train ride. Take your advice on that rail route.

Hi Andrew,
My sister has been to Alaska on Princess, her first cruise and LOVED it and has cruised twice since.
I have been to Alaska twice and its just beautiful, so much so that even my 12yoDD has said she wants her honeymoon there!
We jumped ships when we went instead of waiting for DCL because they pulled out of Glacier Bay contract.
You will love it!
And I agree with the driving in London! I would be Chevy Chase in Holiday Vacation stuck driving the round about in Trafalgar!

We are thinking of going on an Alaska cruise. I have just started researching it, but I am leaning toward Princess. Not sure if we will just do the cruise or land and sea.

My DH has some feet problems--sometimes he has no problems walking and other days he does not do well walking. It is a long story.

Anyway, I am wondering what the land excursions are like. Is there a lot of walking or are you shuttled to different locations? How far ahead of time do you need to schedule the excursions? Can you decide to do a land excursion the same day? Any opinions are appreciated. :thumbsup2

Anyway, I am wondering what the land excursions are like. Is there a lot of walking or are you shuttled to different locations? How far ahead of time do you need to schedule the excursions? Can you decide to do a land excursion the same day? Any opinions are appreciated.
Earlier this year we went on two Alaska cruises.

There were many excursions offered (33 in Juneau alone). The excursions were rated "Easy activity," "Moderate activity," or "Strenuous activity." Almost all of them included bus or car transportation from the port.

You can book excursions in advance or on the ship, though some were sold out by the time we sailed.

Woody

Please note that on the land portion of Princess CruiseTour, food is *not* included in the price. It's a bit of a shock to have to start paying for food again after being on the ship for a week. As you might expect, food choices are limited and expensive on the land portion.

-Paul

Hi Andrew,
My sister has been to Alaska on Princess, her first cruise and LOVED it and has cruised twice since.
I have been to Alaska twice and its just beautiful, so much so that even my 12yoDD has said she wants her honeymoon there!
We jumped ships when we went instead of waiting for DCL because they pulled out of Glacier Bay contract.
You will love it!
And I agree with the driving in London! I would be Chevy Chase in Holiday Vacation stuck driving the round about in Trafalgar!
:thumbsup2 Agree; my thoughts.
We are thinking of going on an Alaska cruise. I have just started researching it, but I am leaning toward Princess. Not sure if we will just do the cruise or land and sea.

My DH has some feet problems--sometimes he has no problems walking and other days he does not do well walking. It is a long story.

Anyway, I am wondering what the land excursions are like. Is there a lot of walking or are you shuttled to different locations? How far ahead of time do you need to schedule the excursions? Can you decide to do a land excursion the same day? Any opinions are appreciated. :thumbsup2
Good questions; seen Woody has answered.
Please note that on the land portion of Princess CruiseTour, food is *not* included in the price. It's a bit of a shock to have to start paying for food again after being on the ship for a week. As you might expect, food choices are limited and expensive on the land portion.

-Paul

Good point it adds up.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter