Princess 1/2 walkers?

Right now, I'm concentrating on walking to lose weight. I've probably lost about 60 pounds and have almost as much left to lose. Come October or so, I plan on starting a true half marathon training program. The question is - which one? I hear so much about Jeff Galloway, but his are for people who want to walk/run. I know my knees and ankles will never survive running. I know I have to walk the PHM.

I've found these training programs. Anyone have any experience with them or any other?

http://media.spryliving.com/uploads/media/12MarathonTrainingGuide.pdf
http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_legacy/halfmarathon/halfwalk.pdf

Another thought about those training plans...

those would help a lot with distance but would they help you with pacing? I just started in a walking group to help with just that and it has a program set up to walk/power walk in intervals, similar to Jeff Galloway's plan. Here is the plan to get ready to walk a 5K by mid-September, if you want your pace to be 15 minutes/mile or less:

15 min/mile or less
(Warm up for 10 minutes before walk)
Week 1: Walk 3 min, powerwalk 3 min = total of 24 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 2: Walk 3 min, powerwalk 4 min = total of 28 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 3: Walk 3 min, powerwalk 5 min = total of 32 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 4: Walk 2 min, powerwalk 6 min = total of 32 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 5: Walk 2 min, powerwalk 7 min = total of 36 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 6: Walk 2 min, powerwalk 8 min = total of 40 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 7: Walk 2 min, powerwalk 9 min = total of 44 minutes+5 min cool down
Week 8: Walk 1 min, powerwalk 10 min = total of 45 minutes - LABOR DAY HOMEWORK
Week 9: Walk 1 min, powerwalk 11 min = total of 46 minutes+5 min cool down

I'm just adding distance to get ready for a half in October. I tried Week 1 this morning and was a little slower but was also having technical difficulties with my app. I'll keep slogging along for the next few weeks to see if it does consistently help with my pacing.

Debbieandroo - that is very cool - I wondered how to improve pacing...it really makes sense - like the run/walk method for runners. I wonder if our veteran walkers here on this thread have any thoughts on this? Has anyone else tried this method? Does anyone have any other ideas or methods they have used to improve their pace? My DD14 and I are walking 2 miles 3x a week and then a good 6 miles on Saturday mornings, we have not been thinking about pace yet but seem to be maintaing a bit over 16 min miles. Seems ok at this time but we need to find a way to pick up and maintain a faster pace.

Debbieandroo - that is very cool - I wondered how to improve pacing...it really makes sense - like the run/walk method for runners. I wonder if our veteran walkers here on this thread have any thoughts on this? Has anyone else tried this method? Does anyone have any other ideas or methods they have used to improve their pace? My DD14 and I are walking 2 miles 3x a week and then a good 6 miles on Saturday mornings, we have not been thinking about pace yet but seem to be maintaing a bit over 16 min miles. Seems ok at this time but we need to find a way to pick up and maintain a faster pace.

Hi --

Did you ever get to register today? I saw your questions on the other PHM thread but didn't know how to answer most of them. Did everything work out for you?

Thanks for asking - and yes we are all set. I am excited and also scared to death. I really do not want to let my DD down by not being able to finish - I know I finished last year, but I am not so sure I can do it again. Even with all the additional walking I have probably gained 20ils since last Febs race. I am so disgusted and dissapointed in myself...I had lost 150lbs approx 4 yrs ago and thought I had beaten the whole obesity thing, but here I am battling to not let the old habits creep back in, and losing the battle... I wish there was a magic pill for this! Any advice fellow PHM ladies?

The following has some very helpful information http://www.thewalkingsite.com/howtowalk.html

I watch people run, jog and walk when I am racing. EFFICIENCY in movement becomes very apparent when viewing fast racers whether they are running, jogging or walking. Extraneous movements only manage to waste energy thereby slowing one down. Concentrating on the individual aspects that go into walking and making everything more fluid will result in speed.

e.g.- arm swing should be straight-on front to rear, not too exaggerated, without tightly clenched fists all while keeping the muscles involved relaxed. Easy to say but hard to employ. I know because I constantly have to remind myself. :rotfl:

e.g.- breathing is rhythmic, matched to pace and arm swing. Like playing a musical instrument you must keep the beat.

e.g.- body position upright and relaxed. Use your bones to support not the muscles to hold in place. More difficult if you aren't familiar with your personal Chi. I never believed this until I wanted to walk real fast and finally read about Chi Walking.

Every one of you can walk faster, it just takes some concentration into the entire process.

Having fun is a priority, so smile when walking. It takes fewer muscles and thus saves energy so you will walk faster. :)

OH, glad to read the sign-ups are happening! :thumbsup2

Hi all. I'm actually signed up for the Goofy in January but I saw this thread and thought I'd ask the vets about walking.

My knees are suspect and after a little training I realized that I was asking for trouble training for the Goofy by running. Instead, I decided to walk under the theory that I'd be less likely to injure myself since there's less pounding on my (225 lb) body.

My goal is just to finish. I don't care about times per se but I have a 5 yo daughter who loves the characters so I'd like to get pictures with as many obscure ones as I can.

I've been following this walking strategy for a few weeks and I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I'm up to 7 miles and didn't feel any serious discomfort afterward.

I'm concerned about keeping the 16 minute pace. My average over the 7 miles was 12:39 per mile. When thinking about character stops (I've never done a Disney race before) and considering how slow the start of the race looks on the videos I've seen, I'm worried that I might need a quicker pace.

Does anyone have any advice on my strategy? What should I be looking for in a time? I know that speed isn't the most critical factor right now, but I'd like to have some sort of idea of whether my plan will work or not now, as opposed to in January when it's too late.

Thanks in advance everyone!

The following has some very helpful information http://www.thewalkingsite.com/howtowalk.html

I watch people run, jog and walk when I am racing. EFFICIENCY in movement becomes very apparent when viewing fast racers whether they are running, jogging or walking. Extraneous movements only manage to waste energy thereby slowing one down. Concentrating on the individual aspects that go into walking and making everything more fluid will result in speed.

e.g.- arm swing should be straight-on front to rear, not too exaggerated, without tightly clenched fists all while keeping the muscles involved relaxed. Easy to say but hard to employ. I know because I constantly have to remind myself. :rotfl:

e.g.- breathing is rhythmic, matched to pace and arm swing. Like playing a musical instrument you must keep the beat.

e.g.- body position upright and relaxed. Use your bones to support not the muscles to hold in place. More difficult if you aren't familiar with your personal Chi. I never believed this until I wanted to walk real fast and finally read about Chi Walking.

Every one of you can walk faster, it just takes some concentration into the entire process.

Having fun is a priority, so smile when walking. It takes fewer muscles and thus saves energy so you will walk faster. :)

OH, glad to read the sign-ups are happening! :thumbsup2

I am so thankful to read that you've had a hard time with form as well, John. This is such a struggle!

Since our walking coach demonstrated correct form, I've been trying to do the same - in 3 minute walk/power walk intervals. My time isn't better but, I did notice today, that it was more of a consistent time per minute....so maybe I'm doing better than I thought.

I think I lean forward when I try to walk fast. But we're supposed to be upright. And that arm swing - I really do look like more of a chicken than a human! Then pushing off with my toes, walking straight [our green line has lots of rocks and sticks and is uneven so I'm trying to dodge those things], and breathing rhythmically - whoa! That is a lot to think about!

Maybe I should just concentrate on one thing at a time per walk? Until I can implement all of that?

I am so thankful to read that you've had a hard time with form as well, John. This is such a struggle!

Since our walking coach demonstrated correct form, I've been trying to do the same - in 3 minute walk/power walk intervals. My time isn't better but, I did notice today, that it was more of a consistent time per minute....so maybe I'm doing better than I thought.

I think I lean forward when I try to walk fast. But we're supposed to be upright. And that arm swing - I really do look like more of a chicken than a human! Then pushing off with my toes, walking straight [our green line has lots of rocks and sticks and is uneven so I'm trying to dodge those things], and breathing rhythmically - whoa! That is a lot to think about!

Maybe I should just concentrate on one thing at a time per walk? Until I can implement all of that?

My bolding because that is how I worked through my problems since multi-tasking when looking for perfection is not my thing. :thumbsup2 Soak in your coach's advice like a sponge does water.

Leaning forward-not the proper position but a typical one. You have to force the posture thing into becoming a habit. Time, time and more time.

Arm swing-think of the little steam locomotive going up the mountain. The connecting shafts (your arms) between the pistons and wheels. Straight front to rear, no side movement or crossing-over. Think a mantra of, "yes I can, yes I can" co-ordinating your alternating hands with the words. The faster you say the words, the faster your arms swing and the faster your pace.

Pushing off-not a natural way of walking when doing the Parks at WDW, so think of stepping over the puddle of water during a rain storm.

Walking straight-hard when objects are in the way but very important to reduce the number of steps needed for each mile.

And again, keep it fun and safe.

Seriously? I have never heard of this and am very interested...how do you find one? How expensive is it? Has anyone used one and felt it was a good investment? Thanks on advance for your answers I am super psyched if this is an option!

My bolding because that is how I worked through my problems since multi-tasking when looking for perfection is not my thing. :thumbsup2 Soak in your coach's advice like a sponge does water.

Leaning forward-not the proper position but a typical one. You have to force the posture thing into becoming a habit. Time, time and more time.

Arm swing-think of the little steam locomotive going up the mountain. The connecting shafts (your arms) between the pistons and wheels. Straight front to rear, no side movement or crossing-over. Think a mantra of, "yes I can, yes I can" co-ordinating your alternating hands with the words. The faster you say the words, the faster your arms swing and the faster your pace.

Pushing off-not a natural way of walking when doing the Parks at WDW, so think of stepping over the puddle of water during a rain storm.

Walking straight-hard when objects are in the way but very important to reduce the number of steps needed for each mile.

And again, keep it fun and safe.

So I'm working on my form and managed to get all ten of my toes to hurt all at the same time - how'd I manage that! I think I was trying too hard to push off and I should be more relaxed.

And I'm getting slower, rather than faster. I figure that, just like any sport, this is an aquired skill and I *will* get better with a lot of practice. At least that's what I keep telling myself and hope this 'getting better' happens before that PHM! Or else, it'll be the sweeper bus for me.

To be honest, I really need to keep this 'fun' and not worry so much about everything else - *sigh* Sweeper bus or not, I've still gained so much from this training with my new active lifestyle - that's what I need to focus on.

Seriously? I have never heard of this and am very interested...how do you find one? How expensive is it? Has anyone used one and felt it was a good investment? Thanks on advance for your answers I am super psyched if this is an option!

Our local runner's club [of which I am a member now - go figure!] sponsors a walking or running clinic for women for about eight weeks during the summer, culminating with a 5K in the fall. I signed up for the walking clinic. There are around 100 women and 10 coaches. We've divided up into pacing groups - I'm in the middle, 16-18 minute miles. Then we, as a group, walk together in that pace...I usually land in the middle of mine.

It was really reasonable - 30 dollars, which also includes registration for the 5K and a T-shirt. Those poor coaches - I've been plying them with questions, too, just like I do our dear John on this thread.

So, check your local runner's group to see if they offer a weekly group walk or a clinic like this. Also, we have a couple of half marathons scheduled for the fall [I'm planning to do one of them] and one of our local running stores is sponsoring a group to train people to participate in it. This may be more running-centered but, at least with our local group, a lot of walkers are involved so they may have coaches who can help with that. Because of my work schedule, I can't participate in this group unfortunately.

Hope that helps! We've only met twice but I've really enjoyed my time there. Who knows - by the end of the summer, I might actually be in that faster group!

So I'm working on my form and managed to get all ten of my toes to hurt all at the same time - how'd I manage that! I think I was trying too hard to push off and I should be more relaxed.

And I'm getting slower, rather than faster. I figure that, just like any sport, this is an aquired skill and I *will* get better with a lot of practice. At least that's what I keep telling myself and hope this 'getting better' happens before that PHM! Or else, it'll be the sweeper bus for me.

To be honest, I really need to keep this 'fun' and not worry so much about everything else - *sigh* Sweeper bus or not, I've still gained so much from this training with my new active lifestyle - that's what I need to focus on.......

Please relax and enjoy the effort. Too many people try too hard at first and do more harm than good. Everything takes time and practice, practice and more practice.

As I mentioned, the push-off is not natural, at least for many people, and by pushing too hard you can cause problems. Easy does it and everything will come together.

Don't let the sweeper bus rule your thoughts.

Thanks for the walking coach advice I will check with my local runners store to see if they offer any of this. I am very hopeful that they do! I will keep you posted.

Please relax and enjoy the effort. Too many people try too hard at first and do more harm than good. Everything takes time and practice, practice and more practice.

As I mentioned, the push-off is not natural, at least for many people, and by pushing too hard you can cause problems. Easy does it and everything will come together.

Don't let the sweeper bus rule your thoughts.

Thank you, John, I needed that.

I am getting too worried about stuff like sweeper buses and walking form - so silly of me to do that. This past week, a huge perspective-shifter came my way - I found out that a former co-worker was diagnosed with leukemia. She is only ten years older than I am.

Now, I'm just working on being thankful that I am in good health and have this marvelous opportunity to get back into some sort of shape besides round.

Not that I'll stop asking all sorts of crazy questions, though!

Ugh...I tried every avenue but there simply is NO walking coaches anywhere near me...I really wanted to learn some ways to increase my speed. I am just not sure what to do now...I was thinking of possibly becoming a walking coach - but I first need to take a course and learn what it entales - but I certainly think I could fill a need in my neck of the woods here! Any ideas? Anyone know of a course to fit this bill?
Also good to read your advice again JohnVN - I have missed you!

Thank you, John, I needed that.

I am getting too worried about stuff like sweeper buses and walking form - so silly of me to do that. This past week, a huge perspective-shifter came my way - I found out that a former co-worker was diagnosed with leukemia. She is only ten years older than I am.

Now, I'm just working on being thankful that I am in good health and have this marvelous opportunity to get back into some sort of shape besides round.

Not that I'll stop asking all sorts of crazy questions, though!

A perspective-shifter can be a powerful motivator but many times it comes from a tragic situation as in your case and I am sorry to read about your former co-worker. Remain focused and ask any crazy questions you have. I'll be happy to help if I can.

Ugh...I tried every avenue but there simply is NO walking coaches anywhere near me...I really wanted to learn some ways to increase my speed. I am just not sure what to do now...I was thinking of possibly becoming a walking coach - but I first need to take a course and learn what it entales - but I certainly think I could fill a need in my neck of the woods here! Any ideas? Anyone know of a course to fit this bill?
Also good to read your advice again JohnVN - I have missed you!

I also agree that there is a need for walking coaches since many people can not jog or run but the main emphasis is on running and that pretty much dictates where the instruction goes. I enjoy reading this thread you started and hope that any assistance I give helps rather than hinders the fantastic ladies who post here that are looking to improve their athletic abilities.

You are all athletes and kudos to all. :yay:

Hi all. I'm actually signed up for the Goofy in January but I saw this thread and thought I'd ask the vets about walking.

My knees are suspect and after a little training I realized that I was asking for trouble training for the Goofy by running. Instead, I decided to walk under the theory that I'd be less likely to injure myself since there's less pounding on my (225 lb) body.

My goal is just to finish. I don't care about times per se but I have a 5 yo daughter who loves the characters so I'd like to get pictures with as many obscure ones as I can.

I've been following this walking strategy for a few weeks and I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I'm up to 7 miles and didn't feel any serious discomfort afterward.

I'm concerned about keeping the 16 minute pace. My average over the 7 miles was 12:39 per mile. When thinking about character stops (I've never done a Disney race before) and considering how slow the start of the race looks on the videos I've seen, I'm worried that I might need a quicker pace.

Does anyone have any advice on my strategy? What should I be looking for in a time? I know that speed isn't the most critical factor right now, but I'd like to have some sort of idea of whether my plan will work or not now, as opposed to in January when it's too late.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Anybody? Please? Since originally posting this I've done 8 and 9 miles at roughly the same pace.

Anybody? Please? Since originally posting this I've done 8 and 9 miles at roughly the same pace.

If you are maintaining a 12:39mm pace while increasing your distance all you need to do is continue with your training and when the race days come around just go with the flow. I would think that even if you started in the front of the last corral, with a pace like yours, you will be ahead of the sweepers even with pictures.

If you are maintaining a 12:39mm pace while increasing your distance all you need to do is continue with your training and when the race days come around just go with the flow. I would think that even if you started in the front of the last corral, with a pace like yours, you will be ahead of the sweepers even with pictures.

Thanks very much. That's a tremendous relief! By the way, I've appreciated your comments on this board and have taken them to heart in training. I have to say that the techniques felt funny at first but I feel much more comfortable now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter