Princess 1/2 walkers?

A long loose muscle is a muscle that is not rigidly supporting the joint it is working on and actually puts a person at more risk for injury. This is why there is now "yoga for runners" that doesn't use the more aggressive poses. In all honesty, flexibility is overrated in terms of running health and fitness. Anything past normal range of motion isn't a benefit.

The following is from Thomas Kurtz, a fairly well-published expert on stretching and you will see how this applies to yoga:

"While in some sports more than average flexibility in all or some of the major joints is needed just for the execution of their basic techniques, in some others the reverse is true: The greater than average the flexibility of some joints, the worse the performance. For example, running economy has been associated with decreased flexibility. Stiffness of the calf muscles and Achilles tendon enhances “elastic energy storage and return” during every running step, and the small range of motion of external rotation in the hip reduces the metabolic cost of the muscular activity needed for stabilizing the pelvis during long-distance running (Craib et al. 1996). So, for long-distance runners, the greater the dorsiflexion of the foot and external rotation in the hip joint, the worse the running economy."

Interesting, although confusing, because it seems like every document or web article I've read stresses the importance of stretching in order prevent pain and injury. Stretching after a session is how I feel better and prevent soreness.

Runnersworld.com has lots of "yoga for runners" poses & articles as well info on stretching and flexibility for runners. Is that a reliable source?

Interesting, although confusing, because it seems like every document or web article I've read stresses the importance of stretching in order prevent pain and injury. Stretching after a session is how I feel better and prevent soreness.

Stretching is a hotly debated subject (one of the very few things John and I disagree about) among runners with studies flying fast, furious and often. There is no clear cut answer to this so it boils down to picking what source to believe. I have cast my lot with Doctor Tim Noakes. His thinking on flexibility training is that it is similar to strength training; it's valuable but something done separate from the runs.

It's more interesting to me that as a sport we still hang on to stretching with both hands even though no evidence supports it. Even Noakes' own book "Lore of Running" first points out that "the cold light of scientific investigation has not been kind to these traditional dogmas." ...and then he goes on for the next seven pages describing a stretching program.

So, bottom line, if you think it helps you...that's enough to reap a benefit. I have a pair of race socks, who am I to judge? If you are going to do it, just follow the common sense rules; never stretch a cold muscle and never, EVER move into pain...oh and most quad stretches aren't designed for runners and they put way, way, WAY too much stress on the patellar tendon, so pay particular attention doing those.

Runnersworld.com has lots of "yoga for runners" poses & articles as well info on stretching and flexibility for runners. Is that a reliable source?

Sometimes. As the brusque but dizzyingly smart woman who taught me how to coach pointed out; "Never forget that Runners' World exists to make money for Rodale, Inc." In other words, dig a little on the author of the article. These days of the internet, it's fairly easy to get an idea of a person's training with a quick Google or email.

Honestly, and here is the ultimate bottom line...if something sounds stupid and risky or just like the gains you will get are too good to be true. It IS stupid/risky/too good to be true. You aren't going to destroy yourself stretching, not stretching, yoga, running "junk miles," running too much speedwork, not barefoot training, not running for V02Max...or whatever the latest training thing is. Simply put, ours is a very, Very, VERY simple sport. Put on your shoes and put one foot in front of the other very fast. Do this and you will improve. The minor differences in training that people love to squabble over are minor. For those of us who were not born Ethiopian, the differences in performance and injury resistance were largely decided by how well we chose our parents, not by who's training method we use. :cool2:

Stretching is a hotly debated subject (one of the very few things John and I disagree about) among runners with studies flying fast, furious and often..........

So funny, :lmao:, your overpowering FORCE is moving me towards your side so it's only a partial disagreement. :thumbsup2

So funny, :lmao:, your overpowering FORCE is moving me towards your side so it's only a partial disagreement. :thumbsup2

Honestly, that's why I do love people who have a different view than I do. When I have opinions on a subject, I'm fairly direct with them. Darn few people want to engage in a discussion then. Discussion makes me reexamine those opinions. It's like long slow distance for the brain. :lmao:

Stretching is a hotly debated subject (one of the very few things John and I disagree about) among runners with studies flying fast, furious and often.

So I've noticed! The more I research this the more conflicting advice I find. lol

So, bottom line, if you think it helps you...that's enough to reap a benefit. I have a pair of race socks, who am I to judge? If you are going to do it, just follow the common sense rules; never stretch a cold muscle and never, EVER move into pain...oh and most quad stretches aren't designed for runners and they put way, way, WAY too much stress on the patellar tendon, so pay particular attention doing those.

Great advice as usual!! Thank you! :worship:

So, bottom line, if you think it Sometimes. As the brusque but dizzyingly smart woman who taught me how to coach pointed out; "Never forget that Runners' World exists to make money for Rodale, Inc." In other words, dig a little on the author of the article. These days of the internet, it's fairly easy to get an idea of a person's training with a quick Google or email.[/quote]

So so true!!!!

Blerg!

I'm laid up with a cold/virus/whatever that seems to be making the rounds in my area -- I'm told it lasts TWO WEEKS. Glad I'm not doing a big Thanksgiving this year! But no walkies in the park for me for a bit -- right now, the walk to make tea seems considerable. Boo! So right now I can talk the talk on the Dis, but no walking the walk. Blargh!

E.

PS Flowers Croon -- your profile pic is fantastic.

Blerg!

I'm laid up with a cold/virus/whatever that seems to be making the rounds in my area -- I'm told it lasts TWO WEEKS. Glad I'm not doing a big Thanksgiving this year! But no walkies in the park for me for a bit -- right now, the walk to make tea seems considerable. Boo! So right now I can talk the talk on the Dis, but no walking the walk. Blargh!

Yikes! I hope you feel better soon. Rest up, get plenty of fluids and think happy thoughts. Who knows, you might get lucky; I escaped with the three day crud.

Blerg!

E.

PS Flowers Croon -- your profile pic is fantastic.

Green tea, chicken soup and keep the fluids flowing. Get well soon.

For those not subscribed to the other thread, I just thought I'd mention that there are a few great posts in the last 24 hours there about race-day strategies for people who might be up against the 16 mpm cutoff at WDW:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671856&page=267

Not to imply that walkers necessarily will be! There are lots of sub-12mpm walkers who leave me in the dust when I'm jogging along!

Thanks for posting the link @ sweeping info. I know I can make 13.1mi, I just don't know if I can do it in 3:30. The comments by coach charles are especially reassuring...:hug:

Happy Thanksgiving, folks! Of course we need to walk off all the extra food tomorrow. :yay:

Just wanted to say I've been reading the ChiWalking book and discovered that apparently I've been doing just that, instinctively. Now I just need to hold the posture for longer while walking - you really have to stay aware of what you are doing the whole time - it's too easy to slip back into a bad posture.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks! Of course we need to walk off all the extra food tomorrow. :yay:

Just wanted to say I've been reading the ChiWalking book and discovered that apparently I've been doing just that, instinctively. Now I just need to hold the posture for longer while walking - you really have to stay aware of what you are doing the whole time - it's too easy to slip back into a bad posture.

Very good, grasshopper!:rotfl:

The exact same thing happened with me. Concentration is key and speed will follow. Welcome to the club.

Hey all --

I'm still laid up with the unbeatable duo of bronchitis / sinus infection. I've been in bed 8 days now. Bah!

But I'm on medication that is fighting the virus back. So I hope to be walking again very soon!

Hope you all had a lovely tofurkey / turkey day! E.

Very good, grasshopper!

LOL - thanks!

I did an 8 mile walk on Saturday. Wow, if someone had told me a year ago that I would be walking that far in training for a 1/2 marathon, I would have thought that person was insane. And now - I'm even walking in the rain - did 2 miles with good speed this morning in the rain. REally tried to keep my posture this morning.

LOL - thanks!

I did an 8 mile walk on Saturday. Wow, if someone had told me a year ago that I would be walking that far in training for a 1/2 marathon, I would have thought that person was insane. And now - I'm even walking in the rain - did 2 miles with good speed this morning in the rain. REally tried to keep my posture this morning.

Super excellent! :cool1:

DW, DD and I had the Space Coast Half Marathon yesterday. I will mention the following only as an encouragement not as a guarantee that you or others will get this far or farther by only walking.

I completed the half by walking it in 2:11:12 and that included stopping to give DW a kiss as I passed her and DD going the opposite direction. Passed many joggers and runners knowing that the punishment they were giving their bodies was far greater than what I was getting.

Walking is a great way to compete. Walking is less stressful on the body. Walking is a great form of exercise. WALKING is a legitimate way to complete a half or full marathon and one should not feel ashamed when talking to people and telling them that they are a WALKER who competes in these events. So what if you are slower. Just remember that there are those who don't even make the effort and some joggers and runners who are unable to complete the event because they injure themselves trying to go fast.

Stay focused, positive and keep it fun. The finish line is just a strole away from the starting line.

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

I have been buried in work and was out of town for a parade my daughter was in - but I am happy to say I have been keeping up my training. Walk/Jogging is going well and I am starting to think I REALLY can do this!!!

E - I hope you get well soon!!!

I am FINALLY well enough to start walking tomorrow. YAY! Very curious to see what its like after being laid up since Nov 17th. (and yes, this IS one of the worst winter virus / infection things I've ever had.

It's funny -- before I went down for the count, I was thinking I should've registered for the half rather than the 5K. Now I am very, very glad I didn't -- I can't imagine getting from bed to half in a month!

A case of things working out for the best! E.

I had one of those frustrating workouts this morning. Thought I'd post anyway. MY DD was talking about her trail blogging and the support she was getting and I know we're here to support each other and thought other folks might be going through the same thing.

I'm still recovering from a sinus/bronchial infection. Up until this week, I've only missed 3 days walking since early May. I doubled that this week - missed 3 days - but with being sick and it rained one day - there was just no way.

So walking this morning seemed like such a struggle. I did an 8 miler just 2 weeks ago and did just fine. I did only 4 1/2 today instead of the original 6 that was planned, it seemed like everything hurt, couldn't hold my form, and just wanted to cry.

But, at least I did 4 1/2 miles and I reached the 40 lbs gone mark this week - so gotta hang on to the positive. Let's keep moving.

E, your 1/2 will come and you will rock. :thumbsup2

I had one of those frustrating workouts this morning. Thought I'd post anyway. MY DD was talking about her trail blogging and the support she was getting and I know we're here to support each other and thought other folks might be going through the same thing.

I'm still recovering from a sinus/bronchial infection. Up until this week, I've only missed 3 days walking since early May. I doubled that this week - missed 3 days - but with being sick and it rained one day - there was just no way.

So walking this morning seemed like such a struggle. I did an 8 miler just 2 weeks ago and did just fine. I did only 4 1/2 today instead of the original 6 that was planned, it seemed like everything hurt, couldn't hold my form, and just wanted to cry.

But, at least I did 4 1/2 miles and I reached the 40 lbs gone mark this week - so gotta hang on to the positive. Let's keep moving.

Take note, :cool1: on the 40#s and believe me, you are not alone. Sometimes I have dead legs even when I had nothing bothering me. Generally I can feel it as soon as I take a few steps. This is when I pay close attention to my body. I slow down to see if they free-up. If they don't, I stop. I am not one of those, tuff it out cause things will get better, kind of person. I'd rather forget it for that day and not walk:rotfl: the chance of injuring myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter