• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess 1/2 Marathon weekend or wait a week?

rmjkharrisfam

Mouseketeer
I need some help with picking the best weekend for a quick trip.

I'm planning a trip for DD's 8th b-day. We are planning to stay onsite, spend a couple of days at WDW and a couple of days at Universal for Harry Potter. Originally we wanted to leave on her b-day - wake her up and surprise her - but I just figured out that her b-day is the same as the Princess 1/2 marathon weekend - Feb 23rd, 2013.

What are the crowds really like on that weekend? We're planning to go into MK on Sunday the 24th but I don't want to fight huge crowds. Our plan B would be to wait a week and go the week of March 4th.

I can't decide - go on Feb 23rd which would be a really awesome birthday surprise but probably more crowded parks OR wait a week for better crowds in the parks.

Opinions? I should probably note that we're only planning 5 days so I want to make sure we make the best use of time. I'm used to planning much longer trips so this quick one is harder for me :)

I participated in the Princess this past February, IMHO the crowds were not bad at all. We arrived the Friday prior to the race and left the Wednesday after.

IMHO the crowds were not bad at all. Keep in mind that not all the runners are going to be staying onsite and making a vacation of it. Lots of locals participate in these races as well. Also keep in mind that many runners will be pooped out after running and not even bother going to the parks!

Your daughter's b-day is on Feb. 23? The race itself is on the 24th if my memory serves me correctly. So on that Saturday, a lot of the racers will be at the Expo picking up packets, shopping, listening to seminars, etc.

The only difference you will notice after the race are lots of smiling princesses wearing their medals with pride :goodvibes

I am signed up for my first Princess 1/2 and will NOT go to parks on Sat. It's not advised by the training and I can't be up at 4 am after doing parks. We plan on going Sun. after the race and, hopefully, Friday. Don't know if this helps or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter