Prime Time Cafe Question

CandiceF

DIS Veteran
How much do they actually scold or tease you at this restaurant? Can you choose to watch but not participate? We have a DS8 who is shy and is really nervous about being scolded if he forgets and puts an elbow on the table!:scared:

I think it depends on your server. I saw some tables where the kids were really into it and some with shy children that weren't participating. It also seemed to me that they would gather kids up to take their dishes to the kitchen, so if he felt better doing things in a group that might be an option, but no children were forced to go.

Depends on the server. We've had servers who were not "in character" at all during our whole meal... even when we prompted them to join in. And we've had other servers who were over the top.
Simply tell your server (politely) that you're only here to eat and your son gets nervous with attention. They will simply serve your meal :-)

I think it depends on the server. We had cousin Eric last month, who was awesome! I don't think he'd harrass anyone that was uncomfortable :) He had a lot of jokes he was sharing with the kids that everyone seemed to enjoy. I don't know if you could ask for a specific server, but if we were ever to go back, we'd definitely request him.

From what people say, some say most servers don't do anything anymore.

Maybe a quick quiet word to your server about him being uncomfortable will be enough.

We went with another family and one of their girls was active and one was not. Within the introduction of "Mom", "Mom" quickly realized which girl she was going to "pick on" and which one to leave alone. However, by the end of the meal, the non active girl was laughing and having a great time, especially since her father got into trouble because he "tattled" on the active girl and was made to take his punishment with good humor.

We had a similar situation our last trip and our server was very quick on the uptake. I took one for the team by putting my elbows on the table, etc. and he (Uncle Dave) focused his attention on me and in turn the other adults at the table (took our friend's phone and told the folks on the other end -- "Sorry, she can't talk right now...she's at the dinner table." The kids LOVED it...equal opportunity lessons in manners and the pressure was off them to be perfect.

You can choose not to participate also. My daughter kept trying to keep me from making another faux pas and I kept "forgetting" my manners. She tends to be an overachiever and worries about doing the right thing and getting in trouble (she never does) so to see Mom being corrected just let her know that nobody is perfect. It was great fun and we can't wait to go back on our next trip (dinner reservation this time!).

I would also speak with the server as soon as possible and I would ask your DS how he would feel about being at the table when the server might scold someone else at the table. I went as a pre-teen (so a while ago) and still vividly remember 50PT as being one of the most stressful meals I'd ever had at WDW. The server was very good at not scolding me (focused on my aunt who was having a great time), but I spent the entire meal worrying that he was going to start scolding me at any moment. I remember wishing the meal would end and the server would stop coming to the table. So, I would talk with your DS before going to make sure he understands what is happening.

Had a young kid next to us burst out in tears cause Grandpa was spoken to about not eating his veggies. Kid wasn't going to be able to finish his meal so he was afraid. Server told them that they do not tease the under 12 group unless the kids have shown they want to play in to the routine. Since I have noticed they don't pick on young kids. Teens and adults are fair game. But they may pick on someone else at your table. Just so you know that when they put the plates etc on the table they are expecting someone to set the table so let him jump in and do it. It will give him points :)

Now you can tell them you don't want anyone to play along but the problem with that is there are other servers and folks walking around and they may say something to you. You may also be right next to a table that gets in lots of trouble. And it's not unusual for a group activity among tables and if you don't play along you will look like the party poopers. Once our entire room had tests! She handed them out and tables all have different tests but that didn't stop us from trying to help each other. So if you are truly shy it might not be the place for you.

MOST of the servers at Prime Time are like a good comedian - they feel out the crowd. I'm an introvert. I'm not "weird" or anything, and don't get me wrong, if I know you I'll talk your ear off. But, those type of situations make me anxious. I'll laugh about someone else getting yelled at for having their elbows on the table, but I hate being the center of attention. I think the servers can read this, because they usually direct their attention to my sister (who's a teacher and very outspoken) or my dad (who LOVES attention.) They got me once for taking my phone out. Ironically i was checking our MDE plans.

Your child should be fine. Just explain that they do joke around - so if he sees you getting yelled at he knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter