Pricing question

sbridgeman

Mouseketeer
Do prices every drop before a cruise?

We are booked for a 4 night cruise on the Dream and thinking about turning it into a back-to-back. We would like to book the 3 night following our return - but the prices seem a little high.

I've been monitoring prices and they've dropped a little - just didn't know if there was a way to get a little better price or when they typically might drop, if at all.

I was also wondering how the GTY rate worked and when they were normally released.

Thanks in advance!

It's rare that they drop, very rare often DCL give out discounts port the paid in full date.

See this thread that explains.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/guarantee-status-vs-igt-ogt-vgt.2914256/

When you say they dropped a little are you comparing like with like, ie full cruise cost, port taxes, and any DCL transfers.

As said it's rare for them to drop nowadays, in the past they did, now it's nearly always IGT OGT VGT post paid in full, when you would incur penalty charges.

If they do fall pre PIF you can contact your TA or DCL if booked direct for a refund.

Thanks for the link it is very helpful.

The price drop I noticed and was just a general observation of the pricing available on DCL's website. I have been checking the price almost daily and it has been interesting to see additional room categories open up, which correlated to a small dip in the price - but they just jumped up around $100 today (for the category room we want.)

I was hopeful that as we got closer to the cruise date, they might drop prices as they are currently a little too high for us to tack on the additional days.

The price drop I noticed and was just a general observation of the pricing available on DCL's website. I have been checking the price almost daily and it has been interesting to see additional room categories open up, which correlated to a small dip in the price - but they just jumped up around $100 today (for the category room we want.)

I was hopeful that as we got closer to the cruise date, they might drop prices as they are currently a little too high for us to tack on the additional days.

Strange there isn't normally a dip in prices, quick question are you outside USA? If do it could be currency exchange rates.( just checked see you are in USA).

Rooms opening could be people moving existing bookings to another cruise or cancelling. The jump is more typical.

It's possible that a special discount offer (usually *GT) will be available for that cruise date, but not guarantee. There haven't been many this summer, but might be some for the fall. Keep watching this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/gt...dated-6-17-2015.3244232/page-84#post-53963243

I'm wondering if the price "drop" you've seen was possibly due to an adjustment of port fees rather than an actual fare decrease.

Enjoy your cruise(s)!

quick question are you outside USA?

I am in the U.S. -- the price dip was pretty small. Maybe $200. When checking the cruise online, the DCL website was only offering staterooms with veranda's - then suddenly they were also offering inside and oceanview staterooms for the same sailing date (not only did these options open up, but they also had multiple categories available within each.

lanejudy - thanks for the link, will check it out now!

... When checking the cruise online, the DCL website was only offering staterooms with veranda's - then suddenly they were also offering inside and oceanview staterooms for the same sailing date (not only did these options open up, but they also had multiple categories available within each. ...

It's possible DCL had them offline to assign staterooms. If you are looking for Sept. 2015, it's just around the 60-75 day mark now (depending early or later in the month). Standard pricing isn't likely to drop, but special offers may come out in the next few weeks.

Related to this, is it possible to book onboard for the cruise immediately following, thus making it B2B? Would you get the OBB benefits?

Related to this, is it possible to book onboard for the cruise immediately following, thus making it B2B? Would you get the OBB benefits?

I have wondered this too. Besides the logistics of having to change flights and transportation, there have been times I didn't want to get off the boat and wondered if this was an options. I don't know if the fiancé would go along with this thought lol.

Yes, if the next cruise has availability you can book it onboard and create a B2B. You would get OBB benefits. You may not be able to get the same stateroom.

If you haven't reached your PIF date and if flights aren't a problem, maybe you could switch to a 7 day. I'm speculating that would be cheaper than a 4 day + 3 day.

We have cruised 7 times in the last couple of years with GT rates. All of our cruises have been hundreds or thousands less than opening day prices. Our last cruise was in Feb and the price was 1700 less than opening day. To say that prices never drop is inaccurate. It really depends on the cruise, and the time of year. There haven't been a lot of discounts the last couple of months, and over the past year there has been fewer discounts on the short cruises than on the seven day cruises. If you can't afford it at the current price the only thing you can really do is keep checking for GT rates. Good Luck. Hopefully the GT rates will return this Fall.

We have cruised 7 times in the last couple of years with GT rates. All of our cruises have been hundreds or thousands less than opening day prices. Our last cruise was in Feb and the price was 1700 less than opening day. To say that prices never drop is inaccurate. It really depends on the cruise, and the time of year. There haven't been a lot of discounts the last couple of months, and over the past year there has been fewer discounts on the short cruises than on the seven day cruises. If you can't afford it at the current price the only thing you can really do is keep checking for GT rates. Good Luck. Hopefully the GT rates will return this Fall.
That's not a price decrease. That's a special scenario that some can't take advantage of. I have cruised using gt rates, but have NEVER heard of a staterom being thousands cheaper. An opening day 4a could be thousands more than a gt rate for an 11c, but they're different roms.

That's not a price decrease. That's a special scenario that some can't take advantage of. I have cruised using gt rates, but have NEVER heard of a staterom being thousands cheaper. An opening day 4a could be thousands more than a gt rate for an 11c, but they're different roms.

I think the OP was asking about a price decrease, and yes a GT rate is price decrease. Anyone can book it. It's not a special scenario. Yes the price can drop over a thousand. I monitor prices daily. I check for GT rates and compare them against cruise fish open day prices. I know how to compare prices. A cat 9c was 4700 opening day. I booked an OGT for 3300 and got placed in a 9a. I think that qualifies as a price drop. I have other examples if you need them.

I think the OP was asking about a price decrease, and yes a GT rate is price decrease. Anyone can book it. It's not a special scenario. Yes the price can drop over a thousand. I monitor prices daily. I check for GT rates and compare them against cruise fish open day prices. I know how to compare prices. A cat 9c was 4700 opening day. I booked an OGT for 3300 and got placed in a 9a. I think that qualifies as a price drop. I have other examples if you need them.
Anyone can book them if they're willing to take a gamble, and wait til Disney decides to offer them. That is definitely a special scenario, especially since they are not always available. Something that may or not be available and has different guidelines are not normal, therefore special IMO. You said thousands less. The *example* that you gave is 1600, but even that is not proof, just your words. It really doesn't matter. I'll accept that price, but that was definitely a special scenario. Last thing. I choose my words carefully. I said that I never heard of it, not that it didn't happen.

Anyone can book them if they're willing to take a gamble, and wait til Disney decides to offer them. That is definitely a special scenario, especially since they are not always available. Something that may or not be available and has different guidelines are not normal, therefore special IMO. You said thousands less. The *example* that you gave is 1600, but even that is not proof, just your words. It really doesn't matter. I'll accept that price, but that was definitely a special scenario. Last thing. I choose my words carefully. I said that I never heard of it, not that it didn't happen.

In OP's case I don't see it as a gamble. She's cruising in Sept and she cant afford the current price. GT rates were available on just about every cruise last year. No way I could have cruised 6 times in 18 months without them. Will they continue? I have no idea. Will the OP's cruise be discounted? I have no idea. I won't cruise unless I get a good price on a cruise so it's not a gamble for me. They are not special anyone can book them. You can believe me or not, but I have no reason to post something false. There are quite a few people on these boards that wait on the GT rates to book. Not uncommon at all.

In OP's case I don't see it as a gamble. She's cruising in Sept and she cant afford the current price. GT rates were available on just about every cruise last year. No way I could have cruised 6 times in 18 months without them. Will they continue? I have no idea. Will the OP's cruise be discounted? I have no idea. I won't cruise unless I get a good price on a cruise so it's not a gamble for me. They are not special anyone can book them. You can believe me or not, but I have no reason to post something false. There are quite a few people on these boards that wait on the GT rates to book. Not uncommon at all.
As I said before, I have used gt rates and even ksf, so I know about bargain cruising. How about those gt rates rates for this year? As I type, there are 0....that's right...ZERO gt rates for any Disney cruise. Anyone can book WHEN they're available. They are NOT always available, which makes them a special circumstance. Currently, NONE are available. Doesn't seem that common to me.

*GT rates are considered a "special offer" -- the offer has restrictions beyond rules that apply to standard rates plus the number of staterooms available at that rate are limited, and standard rates are available for booking at the same time (if a passenger so chooses, not sure why anyone would). So yes it is a discounted rate for the special offer, but it is not truly a rate drop or decrease in standard fare. That *GT rate can appear and disappear quickly -- sometimes within hours -- and the standard fare remains in effect.

Enjoy your cruise!

As I said before, I have used gt rates and even ksf, so I know about bargain cruising. How about those gt rates rates for this year? As I type, there are 0....that's right...ZERO gt rates for any Disney cruise. Anyone can book WHEN they're available. They are NOT always available, which makes them a special circumstance. Currently, NONE are available. Doesn't seem that common to me.
They were available Jan-through mid June on just about every cruise. It's Summer now so discounts have slowed down. There's a GT thread you can check for yourself. I don't think I said they were we're always available. She asked if prices ever dropped and I answered her. I consider a GT rate a price drop you consider it a special fare whatever it still cost less money to book the cruise. Op specifically asked about GT rates. I have no idea why I'm arguing about this with you. Waste of time. Book your cruises how you want, and I'll do the same.

They were available Jan-through mid June on just about every cruise. It's Summer now so discounts have slowed down. There's a GT thread you can check for yourself. I don't think I said they were we're always available. She asked if prices ever dropped and I answered her. I consider a GT rate a price drop you consider it a special fare whatever it still cost less money to book the cruise. Op specifically asked about GT rates. I have no idea why I'm arguing about this with you. Waste of time. Book your cruises how you want, and I'll do the same.
The OP did NOT ask about GT rates. GTY was asked about, not gt. And for the record, I thought it was a healthy conversation, not an argument. I'm sorry that it came across that way. It was not my intention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter