Prices - summer 2010 vs. 2011 WOW!

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
So I originally booked a 5-night double dip for the summer of 2010, and since it was to celebrate our anniversary I decided it was worth the price even though it was way more than we paid for a 4-night not too long ago. But then based on a thread I was reading yesterday I thought I'd check to see what the itineraries were for summer 2011, and low and behold, there's my same cruise on the Dream instead of the Wonder for $1000 less!

Needless to say, I rebooked as soon as I had some more info on the Dream and figured out what stateroom to choose.

Anyone else encounter this sticker shock?

So I originally booked a 5-night double dip for the summer of 2010, and since it was to celebrate our anniversary I decided it was worth the price even though it was way more than we paid for a 4-night not too long ago. But then based on a thread I was reading yesterday I thought I'd check to see what the itineraries were for summer 2011, and low and behold, there's my same cruise on the Dream instead of the Wonder for $1000 less!

Needless to say, I rebooked as soon as I had some more info on the Dream and figured out what stateroom to choose.

Anyone else encounter this sticker shock?

Prices for 2011 have fallen, been quite a few threads / comments on it.

More availability on DCL, extra ship, more supply against demand means price falls.
Plus Dream holds more people so the cruise fare covers the fixed costs far better.
(All cruises-in fact every business has 'fixed costs' and varible costs, the fixed costs are the ship, the staff,etc these have to be covered, then there is varible costs, dependent on the number of cruisers, ie food, drink, which is prorata, so bigger ship, more contribution to fixed costs).

Also other newer ships in the Carribean so more competition.
DCL cannot over price anymore, people are not booking and going elsewhere.

I was shocked at the 2011 summer cruises on the Dream. I had watched the 2010 Wonder cruises and thought they were just way too much money. The Dream prices certainly caught my attention. Anytime they have someone saying "that seems cheap" over a Disney cruise you know if must be a big price drop. ;)

Guess I missed those threads or wasn't paying attention since we had our cruise booked for this summer and knew we wouldn't be cruising 2 years in a row. Glad I did take the time to finally look though!

They call it "Early Booking Prices"... every cruise ship company has them. I believe you get them if you book 14- 24 months ahead of time. However as the ship fills up... the booking prices go up so if you know you want to go on a cruise in 2011... book now and save BIG $$! You can always get your deposit back if you change your mind.

If you look, the summer of 2010 only has one ship out of FL. The other one is either in the Med, Europe or West Coast (I forgot which).
Since there is only 1 ship, it has made the prices very expensive

If you look, the summer of 2010 only has one ship out of FL. The other one is either in the Med, Europe or West Coast (I forgot which).
Since there is only 1 ship, it has made the prices very expensive

That is true for summer 2011 too. The Wonder is moving to LA, the Magic is in the Med and the Dream is the only ship going out of FL. I believe it is as Andrew explained, the extra ship allows for more supply (plus people have a limit to what they are willing to pay). We booked a 10 night Med cruise in 2011 for only $2,700 more than what we paid for a 3 night on the Wonder in summer 2008!!! The per night cost is almost 1/2 of what it was. The 7 night Med is only $700 more than what we paid for the 3 night!!

I was very excited when I saw those prices. I think for what they are asking, we might book a 4 night over labor day with the kids. We can get the 10% discount for booking onboard and the 1/2 deposit... plus the cheap prices and the new Dream. Sounds like a winner deal to me!

We made the switch from 2010 to 2011 also. Although we will miss the cruise this summer, we like saving all the money.

More availability on DCL, extra ship, more supply against demand means price falls.
Plus Dream holds more people so the cruise fare covers the fixed costs far better.
(All cruises-in fact every business has 'fixed costs' and varible costs, the fixed costs are the ship, the staff,etc these have to be covered, then there is varible costs, dependent on the number of cruisers, ie food, drink, which is prorata, so bigger ship, more contribution to fixed costs).

Also other newer ships in the Carribean so more competition.
DCL cannot over price anymore, people are not booking and going elsewhere.
The other big fixed cost is the docking fees that DCL has to pay to dock the ship in each port. It's one reason small ships like Cruise West are SO expensive, they have to pay the same docking fees as the humongous ships, but on the humongous ships, the "cost" is split between so many more passengers.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter