Priced out

agree.
sailed last year and sailing the same week this year was double the price. Trying out RC instead. Taking into consideration that they visit some of the same ports, it is hard to justify the price. Been to Castaway Cay twice and while it is amazing, it isn't worth 2x the price and it isn't even guaranteed.

I say DCL prices are goin up like the housing market pre recession. Makes no sense why sailing the same week the following year would double in price and I doubt amenities will be twice as good. They'll probably be pretty much the same, so what's the extra $$ for?
Double the price= half the amount of shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion.

I guess it makes me feel a little better to know that prices have gone up so much lately. I've been surprised to learn that many of our acquaintances have sailed on DCL in the past, and I couldn't imagine how they could all afford these prices. Makes more sense to know that they didn't pay these prices.

We wanted to go on our first Disney cruise next summer, but $12K was just not going to happen. We are instead going over Thanksgiving, and the relative costs seem much more reasonable to me.

For a family of 4 in OV, 7 night Western Carib over Thanksgiving, we found the following options:

Disney Magic, $5700
Oasis of the Seas $4700
Norwegian Getaway $3800
Carnival Breeze $3600

So, Disney's cruise is not twice as much as the others, more like 20-60% more. Yes, it is more expensive, but we have tried the other lines, and I am willing to pay to see if it is 'worth it' to us. There is no way I can justify paying 2x more than comparable itineraries during the summer months.

Hopefully, the launch of their new ships in a few years will help lower costs based on supply and demand.
I wonder if you priced this out a while ago? Right now I am seeing DCL Magic as $5894 for an OV and Oasis of the seas as $4300 OV. That's close to a $1600 difference. If I look at it and can say its only 27% more it does sound good. At least until I realize that the 27% isn't on a few dollars, its on thousands. Plus in the end it will cost me hundreds extra. I didn't look at the other two ships but I did these two simply because I am interested in them This will be the first year we will be sailing RCCL instead of DCL and we are saving close to $2000 on two people. If I were to add on two children the savings would be a lot more.

Anyways, I'm glad you have decided to sail DCL, you will be very happy. Since you have tried other cruise lines please come back and let us know what your final thoughts were. I for one would be very interested.
Again, have a great cruise. :flower3:

My pricing: week prior to Easter-all OV for 4. Wonder 4 days Bahamas $4800, Majesty 4 days Bahamas $2200, 5 day Navigator to Bahamas-Coz $2350, Dream 4 day (deluxe inside) $5200, NCL Escape 7 day Eastern $4340, Fantasy Eastern $9200 (Balcony-OV not available, but it is typically $2k less, so let's say $7K). Those prices are about double. That is when we can cruise. Last year, we could get a 5 day on the Wonder for $3500 for 4.
We have been on all of the above RCCL cruises. They were fine to excellent. Not the DCL magic, which is awesome, IMHO. But, for families on a budget, I think the Freedom class, like Navigator offers a very affordable option. Some very big differences are the teen clubs, as prior poster said and pm entertainment, in which you don't get a great Broadway quality show each night. We did Navigator last spring break and liked it. Not nearly as much as DCL, but a very solid cruise for 1/2 the price. We still love DCL and one year my kids 12-16 chose a 4 day Dream over a 7 day Oasis. They were the same cost. We added a weekend at WDW with just 1 park day to make it a full week and had a fabulous vacation.

Last edited:
I finally came to the realization that I'm happy DCL priced us out on the 7 night cruises when we can cruise. My wife is a teacher so can only go on her breaks and I own a restaurant that is extremely busy at Christmas and spring break, so that leaves summer and fall break.

Because of the high summer prices we recently sailed the new Carnival Vista and loved it! Great ship, great crew and no horror stories. Had the best CD we've ever had on any ship and saw some great shows, one of the shows, Flick, was actually the best show I've ever seen on a ship, I literally had my jaw dropped for almost the entire show, simply amazing.

Because of this cruise we realized there are other great cruises besides DCL. So for 2017 we're booked on the Vista again for an 8 night Southern Caribbean, (2 connecting insides), which ends on 6/11 and as soon as we disembark her, we're driving from Miami up to PC to board the Dream, (1 inside), for a 5 night CC double dip. Then, because the Vista is such a bargain, we booked Liberty of the Seas for a 7 night Western the first week of October. That cruise is only $2600 for 4 of us in 2 connecting Promenade view staterooms.

We're getting all those cruises for less than the 11 night southern Caribbean, (2 connecting insides) on the Fantasy.

We fell in love with cruise vacations on DCL but we will continue our love for cruising on multiple cruise lines. They all offer great experiences and I get to spend time with my family with our technology turned off for 3 solid weeks next year so I say thanks DCL!

As our kids get older, we'll definitely be looking at other cruise lines (I see you Carnival Vista & NCL Escape!). I think it's going to be an issue of being "bored-out" before being priced out. The lower prices of other lines will be a nice bonus but won't be a primary reason for trying a different line.

As our kids get older, we'll definitely be looking at other cruise lines (I see you Carnival Vista & NCL Escape!). I think it's going to be an issue of being "bored-out" before being priced out. The lower prices of other lines will be a nice bonus but won't be a primary reason for trying a different line.

This is exactly my thinking, too. Already my oldest (she turns 8 next week but you'd think she was turning 17!) has said to me 'really mom, Disney AGAIN?' lol I know once she's there (in the parks) and onboard the ship she will have a great time, but yes it won't be price first, it will be 'too much Disney' as she says that will prompt us to try other lines.

Ha Ha. I can totally relate to your "bored out" comment. Since we sail off season and can take advantage of discounts price is not the only reason we're switching. The itinerarys and same old same on every cruise is a big incentive to change.
I think we're bound for Asia next year. Im waiting NCL to release the itinerarys on the JOY next year out of Shanghai. That ship looks amazing with the race track on the top deck.

Ha Ha. I can totally relate to your "bored out" comment. Since we sail off season and can take advantage of discounts price is not the only reason we're switching. The itinerarys and same old same on every cruise is a big incentive to change.
I think we're bound for Asia next year. Im waiting NCL to release the itinerarys on the JOY next year out of Shanghai. That ship looks amazing with the race track on the top deck.
I saw the Joy online a couple weeks ago, I so want to go gokarting on the top of a ship! How fun would that be? I love it.

The prices really have increased with DCL. This is why we rebooked a 3 night cruises. Too pricey to book 7 nights when we can go and the 4 night dates didn't work for us. I have zero plans to ever cruise on any other line. I would rather get a shorter cruise with DCL than a longer cruise elsewhere.

I have zero plans to ever cruise on any other line. I would rather get a shorter cruise with DCL than a longer cruise elsewhere.

Do you mind sharing your experience with other cruiselines that has led to this choice?
I am one of those who will be trying another line this year so I appreciate hearing past experiences on other lines that lead people to this decision

I saw the Joy online a couple weeks ago, I so want to go gokarting on the top of a ship! How fun would that be? I love it.
RCI has its newest ships in China, Carnival is suppossedly moving two ships to China, and I have a feeling DCl will put a ship in Shanghai after its new builds. I wish they were in Hong Kong not Shangai but oh well. My kids cant believe all their social media sites are blocked or censored in China. It would definetely be a different kind of cultural experience.

The prices really have increased with DCL. This is why we rebooked a 3 night cruises. Too pricey to book 7 nights when we can go and the 4 night dates didn't work for us. I have zero plans to ever cruise on any other line. I would rather get a shorter cruise with DCL than a longer cruise elsewhere.
I guess youll never cruise to anywhere but Nassau and CC?

Do you mind sharing your experience with other cruiselines that has led to this choice?
I am one of those who will be trying another line this year so I appreciate hearing past experiences on other lines that lead people to this decision
I have only sailed with DCL. I am sure there are some great options out there for less, but I loved DCL so much! I can't imagine any other cruise lines matching what DCL offers for our family.

I guess youll never cruise to anywhere but Nassau and CC?
Yeah, that looks like what we will be doing. Honestly, the ship could just go to CC and I'd be happy.

I have only sailed with DCL. I am sure there are some great options out there for less, but I loved DCL so much! I can't imagine any other cruise lines matching what DCL offers for our family.

Yeah, that looks like what we will be doing. Honestly, the ship could just go to CC and I'd be happy.
If that's what makes you happy there is nothing wrong with that. Some day you may be done with Disney or you may be one those people that never does anything, but WDW and DCL. Or you kids may get older and say enough with the Mouse.

You should clarify that the reason you won't try another cruise line is because you really like Disney, and not because you have experience with other cruise lines. Like I said in a previous post the biggest DCL fans are the ones with limited cruising experience.

We've been priced out as well. We've only done DCL (7 so far, usually every other year) and normally we get multiple rooms.

We recently started looking to book 20 or so people for next summer. The prices have increased so much that we're looking at other lines. The 2 youngest in our group grew up on DCL and were hoping to celebrate their "adulthood" (age 21) on the Fantasy together, however Norwegian is half the price and puts things more in range for everyone in our group.

I hope everyone who "jumps ship" and tries out other lines can post trip reports on this forum comparing those other vacations to DCL. There are some reviews out there, but not too many. DH and I are worried we'll be disappointed on NCL (we're trying to convince ourselves that we won't compare DCL, and that the only real comparison to make is whether the value for the money is good) that we've booked the NCL Escape for October just to try it out.

I am hoping that DCL will be nearing the point where they have to back off (especially if new ships are coming out) on their pricing and we can come back, but as our family gets bigger, I think we need to look at more affordable options and to realize there is life outside of Disney.

If that's what makes you happy there is nothing wrong with that. Some day you may be done with Disney or you may be one those people that never does anything, but WDW and DCL. Or you kids may get older and say enough with the Mouse.

You should clarify that the reason you won't try another cruise line is because you really like Disney, and not because you have experience with other cruise lines. Like I said in a previous post the biggest DCL fans are the ones with limited cruising experience.

LOL!! I've been going to Disney for 40 + years, so no, there won't come a day when I'm "done with Disney" as you say. Not every family is a "Disney family" and that's ok if it's not your thing. We travel a lot beyond Disney also- national parks, beach, major US cities, etc. So to clarify, yes I am a Disney fan and I have only sailed DCL. If DCL didn't exist, I doubt we would have ever gone on a cruise. I am sure that there are other great options out there for cruising. I'm just stating that we loved DCL and have rebooked with them.

Last edited:
LOL!! I've been going to Disney for 40 + years, so no, there won't come a day when I'm "done with Disney" as you say. Not every family is a "Disney family" and that's ok if it's not your thing. We travel a lot beyond Disney also- national parks, beach, major US cities, etc. So to clarify, yes I am a Disney fan and I have only sailed DCL. If DCL didn't exist, I doubt we would have ever gone on a cruise. I am sure that there are other great options out there for cruising. I'm just stating that we loved DCL and have rebooked with them.
Makes perfect sense. I think if I had kids that really loved Disney it would be different. I have a kid that want's to go places like Iceland. He's trying to talk me into a trip to South Korea and China for next year. I never in a million years thought I would go to Iceland, but it was the best thing I've ever done, but South Korea.:scared:

We've been priced out as well. We've only done DCL (7 so far, usually every other year) and normally we get multiple rooms.

We recently started looking to book 20 or so people for next summer. The prices have increased so much that we're looking at other lines. The 2 youngest in our group grew up on DCL and were hoping to celebrate their "adulthood" (age 21) on the Fantasy together, however Norwegian is half the price and puts things more in range for everyone in our group.

I hope everyone who "jumps ship" and tries out other lines can post trip reports on this forum comparing those other vacations to DCL. There are some reviews out there, but not too many. DH and I are worried we'll be disappointed on NCL (we're trying to convince ourselves that we won't compare DCL, and that the only real comparison to make is whether the value for the money is good) that we've booked the NCL Escape for October just to try it out.

I am hoping that DCL will be nearing the point where they have to back off (especially if new ships are coming out) on their pricing and we can come back, but as our family gets bigger, I think we need to look at more affordable options and to realize there is life outside of Disney.
When we did our first DCL cruise I thought we would never go on another cruise line. But about 18 months ago I came across info on the new Carnival Vista, and I thought, "Wow, that ship has some possibility." We booked a Mediterranean cruise and sailed her 2 months ago, and had an awesome time. I thought we would do a lot of DCL this and DCL that, but we were having so much fun, there was no time or desire for it. Enjoy NCL, we are certainly looking into their new ships, they look pretty cool.

Makes perfect sense. I think if I had kids that really loved Disney it would be different. I have a kid that want's to go places like Iceland. He's trying to talk me into a trip to South Korea and China for next year. I never in a million years thought I would go to Iceland, but it was the best thing I've ever done, but South Korea.:scared:
Iceland is in my husband's travel list. My oldest is 13 and I have recently realized that the clock is ticking on our summer vacations as a family before summer jobs, college internships, etc risk getting in the way. I still have so many places we want to take the kids before they are grown up. Heading to Utah this summer to do the grand circle. These kids grow up too fast!

I hope everyone who "jumps ship" and tries out other lines can post trip reports on this forum comparing those other vacations to DCL. There are some reviews out there, but not too many.
Yes yes, this, please! Especially from those traveling with kids/young teens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter