• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Price of parking if staying off site

I have had this conversation so many times the my brain is starting to bleed.

So, all I will say is if you compare apples to apples, you will be hard pressed not to save a considerable amount of money staying off site even when you factor in parking and car rental (if needed). If you have your own car with you the savings are huge. Just dining alone is a considerable savings (again, even if you factor in the so called (Free Dining). Not as much, but still there, for Values and as you upgrade the gap becomes larger and larger.

It boils down to what one prefers to do and what they feel they want their experience to be like. You like staying on-site, you will find an argument and approach that will make it seem like such a deal. If you have no problem with staying off-site...then that's how the math will work.

Do research. On line hotel searches will tell you everything including if the place you want to stay charges for parking even though you are paying those thieves to stay in their rooms. Most of the hotels do not charge such a foolish charge. There is actually more competition off-site then on Disney itself. Competition means that they will be trying harder for your money. If there is one thing that the area immediately surrounding WDW has, is a huge number of available rooms that they want to rent out. Look and ye shall find.

Simple fact...If you go to one of the four Disney parks for 10 days the cost for parking will be $140.00 for those 10 days. At first it seems like a lot of money until you start seriously comparing rates. After that...paying the parking fee at Disney seems like a good deal.

I knew of people who used to park at Fort Wilderness by the kennel and go and jump on the direct buses to the parks

Folks please stick to the discussion on parking which is $14.

Discussion about accommodation should be posted on Resorts or Orlando boards as previous stated by a poster :)

I knew of people who used to park at Fort Wilderness by the kennel and go and jump on the direct buses to the parks

You can no longer get in the lot there without going through the main gate as a registered camper or reservation according to the "gate keeper".

Simple fact...If you go to one of the four Disney parks for 10 days the cost for parking will be $140.00 for those 10 days. At first it seems like a lot of money until you start seriously comparing rates. After that...paying the parking fee at Disney seems like a good deal.

In keeping with the Mod's wishes I'll limit my comments to the parking related factors here.

In MANY cases, you may even find that if you do decide to stay offsite for a prolonged period (10 days), It may also end up making the AP much more cost effective for you. When staying onsite, the value/break even point is such that you just need to look at your ticket length + options for your expected stay(s) cost vs. the cost of the AP.

When you stay offsite, Your math changes slightly in that you can add in the $14 per day parking, which is included with your AP, to the ticket length + options equation. For example, a 10 day park hopper pass now costs $375. Add the $140 for parking each day and you end up with $515. That would mean that an AP which includes hopping and the free parking, is only $59 MORE than the MYW ticket at the current pricing. If you then factor in the AP discounts, and if you think you might enjoy other trips, it makes it a lot easier to justify that AP cost.

(And prior to the recent price increases, the AP was actually cheaper than a 10 day hopper + parking)

You think that the $14 fee is bad, during one trip we might visit a WDW park in the morning and then go to a Universal park that evening (or vice versa) which cost an additional $15! We did have our own car and a really cheap hotel during that trip though and I have to admit that it was a blast.

You think that the $14 fee is bad, during one trip we might visit a WDW park in the morning and then go to a Universal park that evening (or vice versa) which cost an additional $15! We did have our own car and a really cheap hotel during that trip though and I have to admit that it was a blast.

:rotfl: one reason i got the ap for both. ;)

In keeping with the Mod's wishes I'll limit my comments to the parking related factors here.

In MANY cases, you may even find that if you do decide to stay offsite for a prolonged period (10 days), It may also end up making the AP much more cost effective for you. When staying onsite, the value/break even point is such that you just need to look at your ticket length + options for your expected stay(s) cost vs. the cost of the AP.

When you stay offsite, Your math changes slightly in that you can add in the $14 per day parking, which is included with your AP, to the ticket length + options equation. For example, a 10 day park hopper pass now costs $375. Add the $140 for parking each day and you end up with $515. That would mean that an AP which includes hopping and the free parking, is only $59 MORE than the MYW ticket at the current pricing. If you then factor in the AP discounts, and if you think you might enjoy other trips, it makes it a lot easier to justify that AP cost.

(And prior to the recent price increases, the AP was actually cheaper than a 10 day hopper + parking)
Very good point! And only 1 person needs to buy the AP in the group to get the discounts and free parking.

I *think* the AAA Parking Passes only provide the option of parking in a closer designated area, NOT free parking.

Correct. It simply allows you into a special lot (if there is room). It is NOT free parking.

When I first started planning for my bonsai trip, I started breaking down prices and if it was worth staying on or offsite. When I took the price of the hotel we are looking at staying at, the price of tickets, parking, gas (since we are driving down) and food, staying offsite was cheaper by almost $100!!!

Adding the parking price was something that I added on because I wanted to make sure if we were going to stay offsite, it was going to be the best deal around.

Like another PP menitoned, the price of parking is pretty much on par with other theme parks...I go by Hersheypark all the time and to see the price of parking for that park is ridiculous (but people pay it)!!!!

When I first started planning for my bonsai trip, I started breaking down prices and if it was worth staying on or offsite. When I took the price of the hotel we are looking at staying at, the price of tickets, parking, gas (since we are driving down) and food, staying offsite was cheaper by almost $100!!!

Adding the parking price was something that I added on because I wanted to make sure if we were going to stay offsite, it was going to be the best deal around.

Like another PP menitoned, the price of parking is pretty much on par with other theme parks...I go by Hersheypark all the time and to see the price of parking for that park is ridiculous (but people pay it)!!!!

So did you decide to stay off or on?

Something else to factor in is park time. For a difference of less than $100, I would choose onsite because you can get up to four additional hours in the parks per day.

So did you decide to stay off or on?

Something else to factor in is park time. For a difference of less than $100, I would choose onsite because you can get up to four additional hours in the parks per day.

But then you run into the EMH debate.

Yes, You gain access to EMH by staying onsite, and can get up to 4 additional hours in the parks. BUT.... you need to factor in the fact the EMH park would likely be more crowded during the non-EMH times by onsite guests wanting EMH w/o parkhoppers, and also if you think you'll actually be in the parks during EMH times. (Either up early or out late).

While offsite you don't get EMH, some people find that it's not that big a deal because then you don't even need to calculate EMH into your park plans, getting up early enough or stay out late enough to make use of the EMH, or just dealing with the increased daytime crowds that EMH bring.

There are advantages to staying onsite vs. off, some of which are not things easy to put a $$ value on. But for some people you need to contemplate if they are really worth the money you can save. Different people have different priorities and different ways of doing the parks which can impact those decisions.

But then you run into the EMH debate.

Yes, You gain access to EMH by staying onsite, and can get up to 4 additional hours in the parks. BUT.... you need to factor in the fact the EMH park would likely be more crowded during the non-EMH times by onsite guests wanting EMH w/o parkhoppers, and also if you think you'll actually be in the parks during EMH times. (Either up early or out late).

While offsite you don't get EMH, some people find that it's not that big a deal because then you don't even need to calculate EMH into your park plans, getting up early enough or stay out late enough to make use of the EMH, or just dealing with the increased daytime crowds that EMH bring.

There are advantages to staying onsite vs. off, some of which are not things easy to put a $$ value on. But for some people you need to contemplate if they are really worth the money you can save. Different people have different priorities and different ways of doing the parks which can impact those decisions.

All true. I wasn't trying to imply that it was wrong to stay offsite, just that park time options need to be added to the comparison list when deciding whether onsite or offside is the way to go.

Just curious - is that compared to disney rack rate or compared to a current promotion?

Yup universal is $15, legoland around 14, Hershey park $15, great adventure nj $20

Great news!! Great Adventure NJ parking is now $22. And that's for the far lot. Premium parking is $32!!

Jim

And Season Pass parking went up to $60, that is around the 3rd increase since the start of last season. Soon the cost of season pass parking will be more than the season pass. $14 at Disney seems like a bargain compared to those prices.

just that park time options need to be added to the comparison list when deciding whether onsite or offside is the way to go.

True, but only if you're likely to use them. I don't really factor in the onsite buses because I use them, although if I were going to Magic Kingdom more than once I might, since the onsite buses avoid taking the monorail or boat. But even that would only be pertinent if I were staying for Wishes. I'd like to avoid the bottleneck in the evenings, but in the morning I prefer taking the boat or monorail anyhow -- adds to the anticipation! :upsidedow

Although personally, for a difference of $100, I'd stay onsite. The "magic" is worth $100 to me, although it wouldn't be for my hubby (he'd indulge me). But, perhaps since we need two regular rooms or a 2 BR and drive, the difference is never anywhere near that for us. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter