Price Drop Costco, HNL, Aulani

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
Got a head's up that Costco dropped their rental car prices in Hawaii. I just saved over $100.00 on my intermediate SUV for this August! Thought I would pass on the info :)

Great that Costco dropped prices!

Strange, I usually "get lucky" repricing even if within a few days, but not so this time...

Always good to reprice though! Every little bit helps! $60 is a great price drop!

Just got off the phone with Budget..They said that the cars are within "walking distance" to counter, but shuttle bus is provided...Budget said that cars are
ON AIRPORT PROPERTY...Anyone use Budget recently and are cars located right on property?

Priced on Thrifty and it was about a $20 price decrease, but rental cars are supposedly off property....Anyone use Thrifty lately and is this the case?

THANKS!:cool1:

Thanks for the tip - I'm still hoping that they'll drop again around the end of June for August tho. I already had reservations thru discounthawaiicarrental.com that were I guess pretty reasonable bcuz these Costco rates will only save me $5.21 on Oahu and $12.13 on Maui ($17.34 total). Better than saving nothing tho I guess. I am reserving "intermediate" sizes which most say "Corolla or similar". I'm worried about the trunk space tho. Does anybody out there have a car this size? There will be 3 of us - hoping we can stick to 1 large 30" duffle pp + 1 carry-on suitcase pp. Since there's only 3 of us we can use the backseat too. Will we have enough storage space in a Corolla? "What if" I have to pack another large bag that we share? Will there be room for 4 large bags and 3 carry-ons?! (I have a Honda Pilot at home so luggage space is never an issue there.)

(PS) If we rent thru Costco can we use any credit card to pay or does it have to be a Costco card? I haven't rented from them in many, many years…. Thx

I rebooked yesterday morning and saved $80 on an SUV in Maui for our 4th of July week. For the week after in Aulani I am using rewards points for a free rental so no price drops for me, its as low as its gonna get!;)

We rebooked Alamo through Costco a couple of weeks ago and saved over $300 on 3 rentals on Oahu and Hawaii. I just checked again because at the time Budget and Enterprise were unavailable - and all of the prices on Oahu are higher than what we got a couple weeks ago! :rotfl: We could save ~$30 by rebooking on Hawaii through Budget, though! :cool1:

Thanks for the tip - I'm still hoping that they'll drop again around the end of June for August tho. I already had reservations thru discounthawaiicarrental.com that were I guess pretty reasonable bcuz these Costco rates will only save me $5.21 on Oahu and $12.13 on Maui ($17.34 total). Better than saving nothing tho I guess. I am reserving "intermediate" sizes which most say "Corolla or similar". I'm worried about the trunk space tho. Does anybody out there have a car this size? There will be 3 of us - hoping we can stick to 1 large 30" duffle pp + 1 carry-on suitcase pp. Since there's only 3 of us we can use the backseat too. Will we have enough storage space in a Corolla? "What if" I have to pack another large bag that we share? Will there be room for 4 large bags and 3 carry-ons?! (I have a Honda Pilot at home so luggage space is never an issue there.)

(PS) If we rent thru Costco can we use any credit card to pay or does it have to be a Costco card? I haven't rented from them in many, many years…. Thx

We used their site when we did our trip to Hawaii. Four Islands and five rental car reservations without issue.

What is the cost difference to go to the next size up? If it is reasonable I would go for the next size up.

We used their site when we did our trip to Hawaii. Four Islands and five rental car reservations without issue.

What is the cost difference to go to the next size up? If it is reasonable I would go for the next size up.

The Costco rate to go from "intermediate" to "standard" (1 more size up) goes from $181 to $273 - a $92 increase - that's on Oahu. On Maui it's not a whole lot of difference. It goes from $169 to $172 for 3 days 9 hours (essentially 4 days of rental). I'm currently paying $195 on Oahu and $181 on Maui. I also don't want to rent something that's a gas hog bcuz I know gas prices will be sky high there as well. It all adds up. It also says the type of car for a standard is a "Chrysler 200 or similar". I just had one of those for a 2-day rental while my car was in the shop. I hated that thing. I was just about to leave on a 4.5 to 5 hour road trip to visit some colleges with my son over spring break when my radiator went out that same day. So I had to drive this dumb thing for the trip. I was so stiff and sore from the low seat I could hardly walk. And I couldn't see a THING when backing up because the blind spot on the rear pillars was so bad. I'd rather not have to have one of those ever again. I'll take a Corolla over that any day.

Just trying to find out if I can use any credit card to pay at Costco or if it needs to be a Costco card????? :confused3 I don't have a Costco credit card. I don't really want another card. Whenever I go to Costco now to shop I write a check…I don't want to jump into this rental if I can't use any credit card. I'm assuming since it will really be paid to the rental agency once we get there that any card will be fine. Can anybody confirm that??

You can use any card that the rental agency accepts, which is essentially any card. I have used a MC and Visa before with Costco reservations. I now use my Costco AMEX because I signed up for a special program through AMEX that covers my insurance for the entire rental period (not per day) for $17.95. Not a bad deal! Costco car reservations are the only reason I have a Costco car. Each time I reserve a car, my savings covers my annual membership fee so it works out well for us. Have fun!

In my opinion with 6 bags a toyota corolla will be very tight. I doubt you would even fit the 3 large duffles in the trunk. My husband has a nissan Altima which in car rental land is like a full size which would be the toyota camry, (one size up from the corolla), and we couldn't fit 3 large duffles and 3 carry ons.

We are doing an intermediate suv for just 4 of us. I pack a lot.

Try discounthawaii, I think they had good prices on a full size??

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the tip TX!
We are not renting a car for the week we are there, but I do need to rent two minivans from the Aulani Alamo desk on the day we want to do some sightseeing. The Alamo site has the car I want at $200+ for the day ( I need two of them)...through Costco, the same car is $92. Needless to say, I just signed up for Costco.

We have a intermediate car reserved via Costco for a week in August for $185$ Looked today and prices are up just a bit from when I reserved.

Thanks for the tip. I saved > $120 for our week rental on Maui and $50 for our week on Oahu. It was a nice surprise.

It's always a good idea to double check closer to the trip, mine dropped alot last year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter