• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Price advantage for package vs. room only

pjpoppins

DIS Veteran
We are going summer 2016 and our friends want to come along for a week or so in their travel trailer. We booked a few months ago but are going for 16 nights so probably will buy an AP (and try to go nuts for the next 12 months after). If they book the site only now will they lose money by not waiting til later in the year and doing the package? We've always done a package but usually with some promo. I don't think there is ever discounts, especially for the summer months. Thanks!

the risk is that they could lose their dates. It books pretty quickly.

I will say that if a "Better Offer" comes along, they can usually 'RE-Book' it at the better rate. Some have been able to do this successfully, while others not so much. It just takes persistence usually. Often times, if you try to re-book for a better offer, there is a short period where your old reservation is cancelled, and your new one is not yet set, at which time it can literally be scheduled to someone else out from underneath you. If you have a good CM, they are wise to it and can avoid it but it's not always easy to tell if you have a good CM (to prevent it). Also You may have to Pay a second deposit. Your first one will get refunded (usually) but they have to "Mail" it back to you. They will not be able to re-apply it to your new reservation, so just be aware of that as well.

Ok thanks. That's what I figured but never done the Fort (or booked a room only until this time).
Do you know if you can get a discount on sites with an AP? Figured we would upgrade to it while there. Then go in fall for MNSSHP (DD was 5 last time and fell asleep before fireworks and parade lol). Then try to get one more trip in during april break (if not blacked out). But if there is a good discount I would buy AP in say May 2016 and try to apply the discount.

Discounts at the Fort are far and few in between. They don't seem to have a problem filling it up, so they don't need to offer discounts if people are willing to pay the rack rate.

I looked into getting an AP and seeing what discounts it would get me, including at the Fort. As I recall, I was not able to find much in the way of discounts that were beneficial to us. If you get the DDP, most of your discounts with the AP are already gone because it's on food and merchandise. With the DDP, no savings there (just convenience).

So I wouldn't hold out on an AP discounts for the sites. You might get lucky, but I think that is more luck of the draw (Timing and what not)

My parents have gotten discounts on campsites here and there with their AP, but it's not something you can count on. But in any case, you can get an AP discount before you actually have your AP (ie you don't have to get it in May in order to use the discount for your summer). You just won't be able to check AP rates online, you'll have to call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter