Pretty Disappoointed with Tour Guide Mike

KimberlyC said:
Considering how much we pay for WDW vacation, $18 or whatever it was is a very small amount.

Here, here! I'll second that! I love TGM. I read lots of opinions before I subscribed but I'm glad I did. His advice is peppered with lots of details and asides that you will not find in other tour books. I know many people on the boards have been many, many times to WDW but doubtful there are many who have been as often as TGM. He is paid $100 to take celebrities and CEOs around WDW for the best experience possible. I can't believe he only charges $18 for a subscription. Well worth it. Like Kindberly C said, considering what we pay for our vacation TGM seems a pretty small investment indeed. ;)

I must be a freak or something - I've never had a problem with navigating TGM's site :rotfl:

I really like TGM. I also like the UG and BG, but TGM gives you more of the 'why' behind his recommendations. Whereas the UG just has plans that say 'go here, then go here, then there', TGM tells you why he goes where when so that you can adjust 'on the fly' (ie, if a ride breaks down).

He even has a 'why' behind the way that he uses the FP system.

I also like his green/amber/red system for 'best morning' and 'best evening' recommendations. He explains why he's choosing those.

I really think though that if you're having trouble with the site you should go to the AVP forums. I mean, it's fair to discuss the pro's and con's here, but you'll do better to resolve whatever problem you may have by asking those on the AVP forum.

Is it worth getting TGM if we have to use a GAC? I would wait forever than use the card but we have to use it for our DS. Can TGM offer anything up that would really help us? We can't split up ever and we are already using fass pass lines. I want the trip to be magical for everyone and not just more work for DH.

I have our hotel, ADR's and park plans but I have never planned out the rides because of the GAC.

I wish he had a free one day trial.

eliza61 said:
Ditto. between the dis boards and allears. I could have gotten the same info for free and I think alot less stress. Definitely overhyped.

The infos can't be the same !! On TGM forums, you will never find a thread like "what are you doing while in lines ? " Do you know why ? Because fellow TGMers NEVER wait in lines !!!!!!! :cool1:
But, so happy a lot of people think like you do... We will wave us when you are waiting at Haunted Mansion at .... (do you really think I am going to tell you when to hit HM ? LOL)

Thierry444 said:
The infos can't be the same !! On TGM forums, you will never find a thread like "what are you doing while in lines ? " Do you know why ? Because fellow TGMers NEVER wait in lines !!!!!!! :cool1:
But, so happy a lot of people think like you do... We will wave us when you are waiting at Haunted Mansion at .... (do you really think I am going to tell you when to hit HM ? LOL)

You are so right there Thierry444 :banana:

We went with TGM this last trip and I remember being in Epcot and Mikes advise worked like a dream. I was so impressed with Mike that we are going at a time I always said I would never go because of the crowds which is Christmas week. I know I'll be able to have a great trip by using TGM's tips.

As for the best days coming out a little late I think that people have to appreciate that it must be harder to get out quickly because Disney publishes times so far in advance when Mike is probably updating things like last minute 4th July info, halloween info for example.

I agree the site is hard to navigate and at least for us was not much use.
I am still waiting for a reply fron their customer service and it has been over 6 weeks. :sad2:

Thierry444 said:

Really? Wow. Could you tell me when Tour Guide Mike recommends hitting Lights, Motors, Action at MGM?

What's that? You can't? That's right, you can't because NONE of his MGM touring plans have it on them! They haven't been updated since before LMA came out! That means they're more than a year out of date.

Can I go to Steve Soares' site and figure out how all the show times fit together and come up with a plan? Yep, for free.

SueGreen said:
Really? Wow. Could you tell me when Tour Guide Mike recommends hitting Lights, Motors, Action at MGM?

What's that? You can't? That's right, you can't because NONE of his MGM touring plans have it on them! They haven't been updated since before LMA came out! That means they're more than a year out of date.

Can I go to Steve Soares' site and figure out how all the show times fit together and come up with a plan? Yep, for free.

I think it is important to know that there is a lot of information for free on the internet, there is also quite a lot of information at the library for free as well - and yet, I still buy quite a few books!! I even have an old copy of the UG - but know I'll probably want to buy another, they seem to get outdated - so different strokes - we get to decide how or why we spend our money...

If you've found a plan where you NEVER stand in line, I'm in! However, I'm betting even TGM doesn't tell his clients they'll NEVER stand in a line. Simply because that is impossible. You WILL stand in a line.

It does his business no service to tell people they won't stand in line if they use it. Why? Because when the find out that's wrong as they're standing in lines (shorter maybe, but lines none the less) they'll be mad at HIM, not at someone on an internet board who said they'll never stand in a line.

Support him if you like, but don't say things I'm sure he cannot claim as true.

I found his site ok to navigate after I got used to it. I have been to WDW as an adult about 12 times and reading WDW stuff on the internet for the last 10 years or so and have picked up a few tips on his site. But I would buy it again just for the least crowded days chart.

Just because Mike hasn't updated his touring plans to include LMA doesn't mean he hasn't given out plenty of advice. I recall reading a few posts by him on the message boards that dealt with LMA timing.

And that's enough for me. I know that Mike spends the vast majority of his hours every day with VIP guests, updating the site, and responding to posts on the message board. The guy probably lives on 4 hours' sleep per night. I don't see how he does it all, personally.

I've used TGM for 2 wonderful WDW trips, PLUS I used his advice (meaning applying the touring style from WDW) for a semi-recent DL trip where Ridemax failed me. I was in DL during Spring Break, where I saw many, MANY 90-minute wait times, and my longest wait was 15 minutes; however, I waited 5 to 10 minutes on most rides. I've also applied TGM-style touring to local amusement parks, with stellar results each time. And I'm currently using TGM to plan my next 2 WDW trips, both in 2007.

So if TGM isn't worth it to many of you, sorry to hear that. But I'm a lifer there - wouldn't go without him!

I just renewed for my third time with TGM. I LOVE the green/yellow/red park days. I used it for Thanksgiving and Presidents day weekend. He was right on. Our line waits, and just the general crowds, were minimal. I love planning my days using his info. I cant wait to get my itinerary finished so I can start booking my meals on my free dining!! :cool1:

SueGreen said:

Ok Cinderella, what the heck are you talking about? First off, go to MY Parks and Places on TGM and make sure you have LMA checked off on your MGM list, then click on the link (with the clock next to it) that says "click here to the least crowded times to visit your MGM attractions" And well look at that there it is. Actually he he gives you three different choices. I know this works, I just tried it, see that wasn't too complicated was it? I guess someone owes TGM a big ole apology.

tacomaranch said:
Is it worth getting TGM if we have to use a GAC? I would wait forever than use the card but we have to use it for our DS. Can TGM offer anything up that would really help us? We can't split up ever and we are already using fass pass lines. I want the trip to be magical for everyone and not just more work for DH.

I have our hotel, ADR's and park plans but I have never planned out the rides because of the GAC.

I wish he had a free one day trial.

GAC doesn't guarantee that you will skip the queue.

notnothin said:
Indeed, the 2nd half of December has been up on his site for a number of days now. As stated above, the place to deal with this is on TGM's forums, not the DIS.

Uh-oh!! (*Shudder!*) Someone broke the sacred omerta! I'll bet his kneecaps'll be hurting!

SueGreen said:
There are no "best days' advice on TGM for either one of those, at least that I can find. I know it's not in his best days charts - they only have the 4 main parks.

It's there for the waterparks. Just in a diff place than the main parks' advice.

:)

PracPerfPatricia said:
:thumbsup2 Have to go along with the TGMike fans on this one. Signed up about 2 mos. ago and already have gotten:

-really good touring plans for all 4 parks-no offense to any unofficial guide users but I think his are better
-really good touring plans for MVMCP
-good suggestions how to get a Princess Character Breakfast if you want one
-his personal input on all the attractions and restaurants
-nice forums...
and still exploring the site...I definately feel I'm getting my twenty dollars worth-between his site, this site, the Passporter guide and the official Birnbaum guide (mostly for the photos and sentimental value, I don't feel the need for any other guides/sites....)

This being said I do agree the site is a little confusing at first and you do have to put a little time into understanding it but you're buying access to a website-I'd almost equate it to an on line guide book-he does personalized tours for people if you're willing to pay $$$ for his tour guide services-I look at his website as a tool to help you plan your own tour... :surfweb: and for those of us who think that planning is half the fun :cool1: it is a great deal!

Okay, color me confused. :confused3 I signed up for TGM. I picked my attractions I enjoy. I haven't seen any "tourplan" anywhere on his site except for his sample tour plans. Sample touring plans do not apply for me and are not a personalized service. Can someone point me in the direction of a touring plan based on my selections on his site??? Why am I paying the $20 if I have to make my own touring plans?? :confused3 He says "visit this first in the morning" about several attractions (SM and Buzz come to mind. I still can't figure out which I'm supposed to do first :confused3 :confused3 :sad2: ) It's actually annoying me the more I use it. Can anybody help?

Tinks said:
Okay, color me confused. :confused3 I signed up for TGM. I picked my attractions I enjoy. I haven't seen any "tourplan" anywhere on his site except for his sample tour plans. Sample touring plans do not apply for me and are not a personalized service. Can someone point me in the direction of a touring plan based on my selections on his site??? Why am I paying the $20 if I have to make my own touring plans?? :confused3 He says "visit this first in the morning" about several attractions (SM and Buzz come to mind. I still can't figure out which I'm supposed to do first :confused3 :confused3 :sad2: ) It's actually annoying me the more I use it. Can anybody help?
If you're having trouble there. Why are you asking for help here? Don't you think the people better to offer you advice might be on the site you're having trouble with. Just asking.....

Ken

Kenswing said:
If you're having trouble there. Why are you asking for help here? Don't you think the people better to offer you advice might be on the site you're having trouble with. Just asking.....

Ken

Just seeing if people here have had the same experience as I have there. I will be sure to ask there as well but I don't see a problem with asking here, do you? Have you used TGM and did you have to make your own touring plans?

Edit to add: I am also asking here because Pracperfpatricia says TGM has "really good touring plans of all 4 parks." If this is true, I know she reads here and can answer my question and point me in the right direction. That's why I quoted her.

Tinks said:
Just seeing if people here have had the same experience as I have there. I will be sure to ask there as well but I don't see a problem with asking here, do you? Have you used TGM and did you have to make your own touring plans?
Yes I have used TGM, very successfully I might add. Yes, I have also made my own touring plans based on TourGuideMike's advice.

TGM is a tool. Not a do all be all Itinerary planner. I knew that when I signed up. Nowhere did I every read where he told me that he was going to give me a personalized itinerary. I like the fact that he gives me the knowledge to make my own choices based on my families particular goals and interests.

I have purchased several guidebooks and read most of the Disney related boards. For my planning time and money, I think I get the best bang for my buck at TourGuideMike. Is that to say that is where I get all my information? Nope....Can never have too much information.

Ken

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter