Pretty Disappoointed with Tour Guide Mike

CathrynRose said:
Geez - relax! For someone who has been to WDW many, many, many times - and spent countless hours on Disney message boards for literally TEN years (i.e. me) it's hard to find somehting you dont already know.

I didnt ask for my money back, however I wont be buying him again.

And for a "newbie" - it'd be waaaay to much info for the average once-every-10-year Disney traveler.

No, I'm not on crack. :p
I totally agree with you C.R.

TGM has some solid info, but I don't see how anyone can swear by his touring plans and not UOG (touringplans.com). The UOG touring plans are completely maximized for efficiency. TGM and Passporter are both of the "I usually do these rides then these rides" while UOG uses control groups and an amazing array of algorithms that Len Testa puts together and analyzes. TGM and Passporter plans are informed but still anecdotal while UOG/touringplans.com are scientifically created.

These TGM posts seem to pop up every week (doesn't anyone search anymore?) and the conclusion is always....TGM offers a money-back policy which he is really good about honoring, from what I heard. If you are curious, try it.

I have used TourGuideMike on 3 trips now and one was a Magical Gathering. I would not even consider going on a trip to WDW w/o it. Yes, a lot of the information is available elsewhere, but his Best Parks/Best Days advice is worth the price of the subscription itself - to me. On our last trip that we just returned from, that is all I really used. His experience on which parks are least crowded for certain days was spot on for our Thanksgiving 04 trip. If you are an inexperienced Disney vacationer the site can seem overwhelming upon the first visits. But for me TGM's Best Parks/Best Days advice has never let me down.

Obviously eveyone has different touring styles and needs, but I'm a planner and have really enjoyed TGM. I've used his information in choosing which park to go to, where to view certain events, how to more effectively use fast pass. I'm also an Unofficial Guide user as well as the DISBoards - as you can see, I can't get enough information when it comes to Disney. If you're not a super-planner, you may not find value in the information provided by TGM.

Enjoy your trip

In general are TGM's "best parks, best days" the same as UG? How well does he factor in the water parks and Disney Quest?

For instance, with a 5 y/o I think it would be great to go to early MK EMH for the Fantasy Land attractions and then hightail it out of there by 11am. We would then want to hit a water park (we'll be there in August :furious: ) but from everything I have read the water parks get really packed between 11am and 1pm. I haven't seen these issues addressed in a way that I feel 100% comfortable with my touring plan. I don't like to micro-plan but I want ADR's for restaurants so I need to know which park which day and roughly what time (morning or evening.) I am not worried about specifics such as the order of the rides - we just ride most popular first, use fast pass etc...

This will be our first trip with the "water parks and more" so it has been challenging working these into our plans!

I purchased the UG and have spent time on the touringplans.com site (not to mention the DIS!) so will I gain by TGM? I'll pay $100 not to have to wait in line but don't want to throw time and money out the window either! :)

GreenSue - I haven't subscribed because you said TGM does not give you this specific type of info. I appreciate your advice!

FOV said:
How well does he factor in the water parks and Disney Quest?

There are no "best days' advice on TGM for either one of those, at least that I can find. I know it's not in his best days charts - they only have the 4 main parks.

SueGreen said:
There are no "best days' advice on TGM for either one of those, at least that I can find. I know it's not in his best days charts - they only have the 4 main parks.

Thanks for confirming this!

AND - Sue Green, I'm sorry for calling you "GreenSue" :blush: I'm sure you aren't green! :rolleyes1

SueGreen said:
Actually TGM does have a section that explains which days of the week and time of day that you should go to the water parks. It is not as detailed as the 'best days" advise but he does touch on the subject.

BTW, I have to agree that the TGM site can be confusing. I was also a little disappointed with his touring plans. It will just be my DD9 and myself going to Disney this year and I can/will not leave her to go get fast passes. It doesnt give alot of suggestions as to what to do if you only have 2 people in your party and you dont want to split up.

Otherwise I did get alot of info from his site..... I guess I'm on the fence. :confused3

I like TGM, this will be the 3rd time using his service. I LOVE all the information that he has on his site, because the more that I find out, the happier I am, lol. But I would say emailing TGM himself would be your best bet. Have a great day!

I do not like UOG touring plans. They may be "scientifically" created, but there are some things a computer just can't match a human being in, and I think this is one of them. I may be standing in the scientifically shortest line but they are usually NOT the most enjoyable flow for a vacation nor are they at all flexible. Maybe it works better for adults, but with toddlers the UOG plans seemed almost worthless!

88Keys said:
TGM has some solid info, but I don't see how anyone can swear by his touring plans and not UOG (touringplans.com). The UOG touring plans are completely maximized for efficiency. TGM and Passporter are both of the "I usually do these rides then these rides" while UOG uses control groups and an amazing array of algorithms that Len Testa puts together and analyzes. TGM and Passporter plans are informed but still anecdotal while UOG/touringplans.com are scientifically created.

I wonder how much better TGM is compared with a few simple rules: 1. Avoid EMH parks like the plague, 2. Arrive at the park 30 min before official opening, 3. Take a mid-day break and come back at dinnertime, and 4. Use Fastpass judiciously.

As it was stated above, someone who's been to WDW many times, and who reads books and pours over the message boards, I really wonder what the heck else TGM could tell me? And to someone who's coming to WDW for the first time, if I give them my four rules above, would they fare much worse than a TGMer who is visiting WDW for the first time?

TGM is probably wasted on any person who could draw an accurate freehand map of all four parks and the general layout of the WDW property in their sleep!

To give you some frame of reference, we've visited WDW 3 times in the past six years. I've previously purchased and used Birnbaums, Unofficial Guide, and Passporter. For our upcoming trip, I decided to give TGM a try based on the rave reviews I've read.

I've been a member for about a month and am not terribly impressed. Most of the info he has is basic park touring strategies and reviews, much of which is readily available from any number of other sources and wasn't new to me. The site is overwhelmingly crowded and poorly organized, and many features that I'd like to use (ie-photo tours) aren't fully functional.

That's not to say that I haven't found a few tidbits of information that were mildly helpful. I actually really enjoy the trivia/historical info he provides for the attractions. I won't ask for a refund because I have gotten a small amount of useful info and I think he deserves to get paid for that, but overall I consider it to be an expensive price for what little I've found and I won't purchase the service in the future.

Perhaps, for someone less familiar and less studied on touring WDW, it would be a great resource. I can see the touring plans being useful for someone who needs to plan a commando park attack during a busy season too. However, for me, it was a disappointment.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :wave2: :cool1: :Pinkbounc :cool1:

TGM for us, less confusing if you go through it all firdt, then complete with DIS forums !!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :wave2:

I love TGM. I havent gotten the hang of the site yet, but i'm still playing with it. I think i'm going to love his "tourguide". I'm sure when the time draws closer someone there will help me with my tour. I still dont understand fast passes!!!!! :crazy: I know that sounds stupid, but as a first timer to WDW i have no clue how they work. I'm sure i'll find out fast enough :)

I've spent money on several sites that offer help..TGM's was by far the best, and the only one i use (besides DIS, im a dis girl!) :love:

one thing i would like to add. He is a huge "sponser" to this board. We like Dis being free right? Why "diss" TGM when he helps pay the costs to this board? If you dont like it, ask for a refund and dont recommend it, but dont trash it either, some of us really like TGM.

On that note, those of you who are hap-hazzardly giving out his advise in nonchalant ways, please try to refrain. popcorn:: Its just bad form.

I really don't think the fact that he's a sponsor should have any impact on anyone posting their opinion.

People rate restaurants, resorts and just about everything else related to Disney on these boards. Which to me is the beauty of it! You get a diverse spectrum of opinions, then people can make up their own mind what they want to do.

nurseypoo5 said:
one thing i would like to add. He is a huge "sponser" to this board. We like Dis being free right? Why "diss" TGM when he helps pay the costs to this board? If you dont like it, ask for a refund and dont recommend it, but dont trash it either, some of us really like TGM.

On that note, those of you who are hap-hazzardly giving out his advise in nonchalant ways, please try to refrain. popcorn:: Its just bad form.

I completely agree with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter