Pressure of the First Disney Cruise

katep

Earning My Ears
We are gearing up for our first cruise with Disney in April. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. We have cruised before, but Disney seems so complicated. Fish extenders, cabanas, pirate costumes, etc. Is it weird if we don't do those things? Is there a list of all the things we should be doing? It seems like the cruise is expensive enough and now I need to do a whole bunch more to make it even more magical.

Are we going to miss out by just enjoying the cruise and ports without all the extras? It is just my husband and I and our 8 year old daughter.

The majority of guest DO NOT DO FE's. That is something that was started on these boards many years ago. You certainly do not have to participate. I did it once and that was enough. I still enjoy my DCL cruises without doing FE's. Pirate night: you don't have to do anything special. You don't need special clothes. If you want to get in the spirit of the night you do as little as a pirate t-shirt or a full blow outfit. Not everyone dresses up.

DCL, to me, is one of the easiest vacations ever!!!

Don't stress and don't overplan. Just go and have a good time.

MJ

thanks, guys! We have done Disneyworld many times and are very much of the "go with the flow" mindset. We no longer feel pressure to do everything at the parks since we've been so many times and those vacations spent with no agenda are always the best.

I agree. You don't have to do the FE to have a fantastic cruise. We have been on 3 DCL cruises and have never participated in the FE but had a wonderful cruise each time. Will be going on a 4th cruise this October and still will not be participating in the FE. Our last cruise we did dress up for pirate night, but that was our first time to dress up except for maybe a Pirates of the Caribbean tshirt in the past. Not sure if we will dress up for pirate night on our upcoming cruise. But it was fun!

In 10 DCL cruises we've never dressed up for pirate night, never done FEs, never rented a cabana and have always had fantastic trips! Just enjoy the ship and ports and don't stress out about things you don't do.

We did FE and tbought it was the hugest PITA and not worth it. We won't do it again. I also don't think Cabanas are worth the price. We like to dress as pirates though. Don't stress. Just have fun and do what you want.

We have been on three Disney crusies. I know that's not a lot compared to most on this board, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that we have loved each and every one. We have also never done a fish extender. I know some love them and I repect that, but I just don't get it. It holds no interest to us what so ever. To each his own. We've never rented a cabana and we've never missed it. We could afford it if one was available (not likely for a silver CC non concierge ) but again, not interested. We don't dress for pirate night, but love the fireworks. The show is fun from afar (as in away from the crowds).

My point in all this is that reading this board, you gain wealth of valuable knowledge. That being said, I am SO thankful that I never heard of it until after our first three cruises. Yes, our entire DCL experience to date happened without any insight from this board. And it was magical!!! I've learned a lot reading here lately and will apply those things to our next cruise. But honestly for us it was much more relaxed and enjoyable just going with the flow the first few times.

Bottom line - your vacation shouldn't be stressing you out. Turn off the computer and have a wonderful cruise!!

This is our first Disney cruise as well! I'm travelling with my hubby, our three girls, and my parents. We're not going to try to get a cabana, but we're participating in FE and dressing up for pirate night. But our family likes those things! We like dressing up in costumes (Halloween is one of our favorite holidays)! My mom and I are crafty, so FE appeals to that side of us. If your family isn't into those things, don't feel bad about not doing side activities! Your trip is about what is awesome for your family!
:sail:

We sailed our first cruise and did very little prep. My brother planned the whole thing so I didn't even think about planning anything until just a few months before we left. I did pack some pirate outfits for the kids, but that was it. We weren't terribly hyped up, the kids (two girls, ages 4 and 5) were pretty lackluster about it, and everyone had the best time. We loved every minute of Castaway Cay without a cabana, didn't have anything booked in advance except for one excursion, didn't do the adults only restaurants, and still had lots of fun. Maybe more than if I'd gone in with all these high expectations of everything.

I was on an Alaskan cruise so cabana and pirate night weren't options. It was our first cruise and a friend was pushing me to do FE, but I found out about it too late to join. In the end I'm kind of glad we missed it. Walking the ship there were hardly any cabins participating. You won't miss out by not doing it. I figure maybe for a future cruise if we want to step it up a bit, but personally it sounds like one more thing on the "to do" list and I'd really rather just relax.

Reading these boards gives you a somewhat distorted view of cruising on DCL. For example, we were on a 7 day cruise on the Fantasy this month and I only saw one fish extender on our deck. I counted 6 total during my travels around the ship while doing the midship detective game. Fish Extenders are very much the exception, not the rule. I'm not even sure I saw a fish extender during our first two cruises.

We are gearing up for our first cruise with Disney in April. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. We have cruised before, but Disney seems so complicated. Fish extenders, cabanas, pirate costumes, etc. Is it weird if we don't do those things? Is there a list of all the things we should be doing? It seems like the cruise is expensive enough and now I need to do a whole bunch more to make it even more magical.

Are we going to miss out by just enjoying the cruise and ports without all the extras? It is just my husband and I and our 8 year old daughter.
Have cruised 4 times and will be on our 5th this May. We have never done fish extenders or cabanas, and we did to pirate costumes twice (only because we already owned the makings for pirate costumes). Your cruise will be magical without you having to do any of those things, I promise you.

DH and I bought Pirate Mickey shirts in one of the shops on the ship. That's the extent of our pre-planning for Pirate Night.

I participated in something similar to FE and it was more trouble than it was worth. Won't be doing anything like that again.

This April is also my family's first DCL cruise (first cruise period in fact!). I've found this board extremely helpful and when I first read about the FEs I thought they would be so much fun for my kids -- specifically my two girls who would tend to get excited about something like that. But the more I have thought it through and researched it, we've decided not to participate in a FE exchange. I know myself and one more thing on my to-do planning list will probably just add stress for me. And given this is our first time on a DIsney ship I think we want to just focus on the ship, it's amenities and activities and the experience it brings our family. I told my girls that's what I was thinking and they were totally on the same page! No disrespect to those who do and enjoy the FEs -- I think we will just sit it out on this one. Can always consider doing next time (hoping there will be a next time!)

Had not thought about dressing up for Pirate Night... Would my wife and I look strange if we dressed up in our College Gameday gear for the East Carolina University Pirates?! Argh?!

Here's a thought from a parent of a single daughter. We hung a Fish Extender but did not participate in the group exchange. Each day the wife an I would sneak gifts into the FE for our daughter. She loved it! Kind of like a Christmas Stocking surprise and she never knew who left the gifts as we told her it was Mickey and Minnie. We have done this on two cruises wile participating in the group exchange on one other. My daughter did enjoy playing "postman" one our7 day'r as we delivered our gifts to other cabins. It was a challenge walking the entire ship each day. This June when we cruise again I'm only bringing FE gifts for my daughter and my nephew.

Pirate Night - Bandanas and little make-up We did buy he little plastic Pirate Flags from Oriental Trading which were a big hit.
Palo - Always managed to get a brunch reservation one board. Often they called and offered additional servings after others cancel.
Cabana - Its a Beach! Why close the two of you off in a secluded corner? Take her to the Boneyard and dig, dig, dig

I think you should let yourself try it once and then you'll decide if you need to do all of those things to make it more magical.

We are going on our first cruise in April. We are not doing FE. We've never been to CC so we don't know if a cabana (500$ is a lot of money) is something we'll ever "need". Pirate costumes will be a "Pirates of the Caribbbean" hat that DH previously bought in WDW and a bandana for me. We booked Palo because it will be my birthday, there was availability and it was affordable. But we would have been just as happy with the original rotational dining just because we don't know what to expect one way or another.

My advice: Don't try to control everything. Let the good stuff (and the magic) happen to you. :)

It's gonna be there. All you have to do is keep your eye open.

Don't worry about all the extra stuff there is!! I love the DIS for all the information you can get here, but I know the feeling of finding out about so many extras that I feel obliged that I have to put my knowledge to good use and do everything that I have learned about. But the great thing about information is that it empowers you to decide what is really important to you and your family and make decisions according to that. A Disney cruise on its own is already pretty magical, taking part in a FE is not going to change your cruise experience from totally horrible to absolutely awesome. ;)

Best part of a Disney cruise? RELAXING! Take advantage of everything the crew will plan for you and do for you. I agree with all here in that you do not have to do anything extra. Leave the pinterest mindset at home. You'll be amazed at how much there is to offer. I have sailed nine times, once I was involved in the FE. Sure it was fun to find things in it throughout the cruise, but then the reality sets in of having to get everything home. I've also sailed with family matching shirts...once. And packed pirate gear several times, but several times not. I've never felt obligated to "do" anything. Since you are a frequent park goer, you may just become a frequent cruiser. If so, you have the option to switch things up as you go along!

I think DCL is the best no pressure, do it all or do nothing vacation there is! So much easier than WDW. Once my suitcase is packed, it's time for someone else to plan activities!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter