Pressed Pennies & MM Containers

danielle_lynn

Earning My Ears
Can anyone tell me how many pennies & quarters a M&M minis container will hold if you stack them together(2 quarters, 1 penny)

Thanks,
Danielle

According to my hasty experiment with the M&M containers and coins here on my desk, you can fit 20 sets (2 quarters and 1 penny each) in one container. Glad you asked. I'm glad I know.

Now I have to go sort my quarters and pennies back out and hide the quarter container from DH again...

What a GREAT idea! It will be so much easier carrying pressed penny change on our next trip!I've kept some MM containers because I knew one day they'd come in handy for something!

Thanks!:earsboy:

Anybody have any tips on what to do with the pressed pennies? I had trouble with this on our last trip. They don't seem to fit anywhere and I didn't want them to get bent. Thanks!

Somewhere they sell a little book to put the pressed pennies in. We bought it at the site online that also sells the wedding ears aan autograph books. It worked great and I don't think it cost that much. It's great for viewing all the pennies together.

If you don't have alot of room, an empty film canister will also work as a quarter and penny holder.

If you are flying just be careful with the MM tube of quarters. I thought that was a great idea also, so had 3 tubes full for the pressed pennies and the arcades. I had them in my carry on, and the screener had to take quite a few scans on that bag. I finally said that I had rolls of quarters in there, and they let me through.

mousemagic - the same thing happened to me, but they pulled me aside and dug through my bag. I had my quarters in a film container and they couldn't figure out what they were seeing. They finally pointed at the container and asked if there was film in it and I told them it was change. They said in the future, be ready to point that out to the screeners.

Regarding the pressed penny book: I just ordered one for my DS from pennycollector.com. They have different sizes, but the one I ordered has space for 20 pennies and cost $5.50 which included shipping. So I thought it was a pretty good deal. Also, it is small enough so it does fit in DS fanny pack.

For my DS, collecting pressed pennies is a major highlight of his trips. We have come up with the following system that works great for us.

i purchased him on of those change purses that has three pockets (with the large clip a the top joining them all - it opens nice and wide so we don't have to fish fingers into a small dark change purse) that he keeps in his fanny pack.
One pocket is full of Quarters, one is full of nice new pennies and the other is for depositing his warm and newly squished pennies. When we return to the resort in the evening, he likes to unwind by transfering his days work into a pressed penny book. (we purchase a new one each trip - you can get them at just about every store anywhere onsite. If you are having trouble locating them ask a CM.)

it works for us.

- lori

:genie: :genie:

I STARTED SHOPPING FOR OUR TRIP. LAST NIGHT WE WERE AT THE STORE AND I SAW THE MINI M&M’S SO I FORCED MYSELF TO BUY A FEW. NOW I JUST HAVE TO COMPEL MYSELF TO EAT THEM SO WE CAN FILL THEM UP. (SHOULDN’T BE TOO MUCH OF A BOTHER :hyper: )

NOW ALL I NEED IS THOSE QUARTERS AND CLEANED PRE-1982 PENNIES AND WERE ALL SET.

:jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

I forgot to get the M&M's for the containers and was packing last night and figured out that film canisters work great! It's convienent to carry in my camera bag too!:earsgirl:

Originally posted by geniegirl

I STARTED SHOPPING FOR OUR TRIP. LAST NIGHT WE WERE AT THE STORE AND I SAW THE MINI M&M’S SO I FORCED MYSELF TO BUY A FEW. NOW I JUST HAVE TO COMPEL MYSELF TO EAT THEM SO WE CAN FILL THEM UP. (SHOULDN’T BE TOO MUCH OF A BOTHER :hyper: )

NOW ALL I NEED IS THOSE QUARTERS AND CLEANED PRE-1982 PENNIES AND WERE ALL SET.

:jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

Sorry for the ignorance geniegirl, but why pre-1982 pennies? And what is the best way to clean? :wave2:

I averaged about 5 pennies per day on my last trip. I just tried to keep about that amount of change in my medicine bottle. Medicine bottles work great, too. You just have to take the label off first. Those pennies can get pretty heavy. I try to keep my back pack as light as possible.

Marie

Some people like pre 82 pennies as the metal content is different and they dont have the silver material inside that sometimes comes through while smashing...

Cleaning them- Coke, tomato sauce/ketchup Ive heard work good
to get the yuckies off-

-em

I had cleaned loads of pre1982 pennies for our last trip, but even so I still ran out. I got many shiny new pennies from the cashiers around the parks and found that they looked as good, if not better after pressing than the cleaned pre-82 pennies. Now.... maybe I am not a purist like others might be, so to each his own. But next time I am getting lots of shiny NEW pennies to use and save myself some time soaking/scrubbing old money!....................P

The pre 82 pennies have all copper or pretty close to it. This way the pennies are uniform color when pressed and not have silver "highlights".

This would never have occurred to me and chances are I probably will not take the time out to sift through and clean my pennies but I was reading all the older threads on pennies and came across a wealth of info. I like to search for old info when the threads are slow that way I am not just waiting for new info I am finding new old info.

My partner thinks I’m crazy with all this pre-planning and research for our trip, so I may just do it to aggravate her but in the end probably not. We are leaving a day after I finish with this semesters classes so I really don’t have a lot of time to pack, clean pennies, and study.

But if you are interested look back there is tons of info on cleaning methods, preserving methods, and storage, display ideas.

Just FYI: does everyone know about the www.intercot.com website that lists each penny available and it's location? I have mine printed and ready!:jester:

It's funny that I see this thread today because I just organized my M&M containers the other day. It's definitely what the previous post said - 20 sets of quarters with the pennies. I had been searching through my pennies & collected pre 1982 pennies. I used something to clean them with that was specially made to clean money. The old pennies came out beautifully. However after a while the pennies all turned green - they were not green before. I dumped all the pennies out & started fresh with newer pennies. I plan on putting these canisters in my nephew's Easter basket. He doesn't like chocolate so I had to eat the M&Ms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter