Pressed Pennies...Do they still exist

TexIrish

Earning My Ears
I am one of those people that collects something and then takes it as a challenge to collect all of that item :-) Do the pressed penny souvenir machines still exist at WDW and if so, do they still work the same? I remember placing 2 quarters and 1 penny in the machine and bam! Instant souvenir. Thanks for any information.

I am one of those people that collects something and then takes it as a challenge to collect all of that item :-) Do the pressed penny souvenir machines still exist at WDW and if so, do they still work the same? I remember placing 2 quarters and 1 penny in the machine and bam! Instant souvenir. Thanks for any information.

Last time I was there I remember they had one in the Tower of Terror gift shop. That was a year ago.

Sort of. A lot of the machines now are $1 for a crushed copper “penny” (really just a blank coin). I didn’t visit any of the parks in March, but I did get the $1 options from Grand Floridian and All Star Sports. We noticed them in Disney Springs as well.

They also have $5 medallions, but those are much bigger and don’t involve watching the pressing process.

I’d need to do my own research to confirm the current state, but pressed penny machines were almost all converted to credit card based machines where you swipe a card and watch the machine do all the work. So no more bringing your own polished pennies and rolls of quarters. Took all the fun out of it.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer! You can research to see if there are any of the legacy machines still around. But they’re the exception.

Insert CC now! it costs more but you can get 4 at a time also.

There is a site dedicated to Pressed pennys. They’ve got maps where all the machines are and the latest offerings in the parks. We collect them at DL on every trip. Most are now CC. That happened over the pandemic. There’s also a few pressed quarter and nickel machines as well, with those you provide the quarters, with the penny machines they provide the penny . They’re pressing pennys, not blanks!

Here at WDW now, and there are pressed penny machines all over. Most only take CCs, but some take a $1 bill as well. You can look up their locations in the My Disney Experience app. Just go to the search icon and type in “coin press machines”

Happy hunting! :magnify:

I’d need to do my own research to confirm the current state, but pressed penny machines were almost all converted to credit card based machines where you swipe a card and watch the machine do all the work. So no more bringing your own polished pennies and rolls of quarters. Took all the fun out of it.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer! You can research to see if there are any of the legacy machines still around. But they’re the exception.
Point of clarification- we were able to use dollar bills for single “coins.” I think the credit card was you would get all 8 for $5. (May not be all machines on site, just the ones we saw!)

Every machine we've done at DLR uses nice bright new coins. No old tarnished pennies. There are a few hand crank machines left, but most are automatic. All the ones at DLR take singles or CC.

My husband became obsessed with pressed pennies our last few trips :-) I can tell you that they are EVERYWHERE, we came home with easily 100+. As the comments above have confirmed, the mechanism isn't what you remember, however the types of machines/payment methods do vary. Some will accept $1 bills, some are credit card only, some offer a discount (like $5 for 8) when you pay with card, etc. We did stumble upon at least one (I think it was at the Mara) that did still require you to insert your own coins. So while it's not quite the nostalgia you remember, it still can be a fun souvenir to search out! And while the price has jumped, what else can you get for $1 ;)

Coin press locations are available in the Disney World app.

Click the search function (magnifying glass; bottom menu).

Type in “coin press machines”.

You should see it in the list that populates as you type - click on it.

Then click on Find on Map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter