• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Presidents Week - Looking for honesty, but the encouraging kind

Susiequsie60

Mouseketeer
Long title huh? My husband and I are ready to book a trip to WDW during President's Week (I work in a school - the time is non-negotiable.) We've been about 5 times before - always with our now grown kids. We're going alone this time. We absolutely LOVE WDW - more so than our kids!!!

I've read how crowded the parks will probably be that week. I'm pretty sure we'll be OK with it. Here's my reasoning:

I'm one of those people who really believes in "the touring plans" - I do tons of research before every vacation, especially WDW. Long before we arrive, I'll know each park we want to visit each day, what time to get there, where the "extra hours" are, what order to hit the rides, etc.

We will be on our own - no kids. Of course, that totally eliminates lots of stuff aimed at little kids. Having no kids also makes any type of wait we do have just a little more tolerable, if you know what I mean.

Because we've been quite a few times, we really don't feel much pressure to "do it all." We've done most of it already.

So here's what I'm looking for: People who have gone to WDW during President's Week and have found the crowds manageable. My husband and I are both in our early-mid 50's in decent shape. We have no problem with plenty of walking across parks, etc. Anyone out there want to encourage me?

And don't take this the wrong way, but I'd prefer not to hear from people who went during President's week and hated it because of crowds. I know it will be crowded and I know that to some people, it would be horrible. What I'm looking for are the folks who have done it and came out the other side unscathed!!

Thanks -

My DH and I took children, but even then, it's managable. He and I go alone, a lot, during major seasons... Easter break, Thanksgiving, president's week, Summers....2 persons is enjoyable, no matter how busy. Have fun. You'll be fine!!!!

went this past president's weekend - crowds were tolerable - we got to do everything we wanted to do and didn't have to skip anything - it was a little cool for the pool - and outdoor movies - but other than that it was a great time - enjoy

I am a teacher as well and find President week to be the least crowded school break to visit WDW. Most schools in the US are not closed for the entire week- just the actual holiday. It is crowded the weekend before and through Presidents Day but the crowds thin as the week goes on. We usually plan to arrive on Monday and have dinner at DTD and begin our park days on Tuesday. I always take a personal day the Monday after so we get a full week.
We've done this trip over Feb break six times and are going back again this year! It's a great week to visit! :)

The schools around here aren't even closed for President's Day let alone President's week if that makes you feel better.

We went two years ago during President's week as well as the week beforehand (a 16 day trip). President's week was definitely more crowded than the week before, but totally manageable. If you're mellow and flexible you'll be fine.

I've gone during Pres Week several times. I find it totally manageable. The crowds will get pretty heavy by noon or one, but by then I've been in the park for three or four hours and have already done the things that all the late-comers are waiting in line for....

We've been in all types of crowds-- Christmas week, New Year's Eve, Fourth of July, summer, President's Day. As teachers, the only time we haven't gone is when the crowds are lightest. It's always manageable. I do remember lots of cheerleaders during President's Day. They start cheering randomly in line, so be prepared. Also, sure you know since you are a planner, but February in FL can mean shorts weather or bundle up weather-- in the same day sometimes. Pack accordingly.

Long title huh? My husband and I are ready to book a trip to WDW during President's Week (I work in a school - the time is non-negotiable.) We've been about 5 times before - always with our now grown kids. We're going alone this time. We absolutely LOVE WDW - more so than our kids!!!

I've read how crowded the parks will probably be that week. I'm pretty sure we'll be OK with it. Here's my reasoning:

I'm one of those people who really believes in "the touring plans" - I do tons of research before every vacation, especially WDW. Long before we arrive, I'll know each park we want to visit each day, what time to get there, where the "extra hours" are, what order to hit the rides, etc.

We will be on our own - no kids. Of course, that totally eliminates lots of stuff aimed at little kids. Having no kids also makes any type of wait we do have just a little more tolerable, if you know what I mean.

Because we've been quite a few times, we really don't feel much pressure to "do it all." We've done most of it already.

So here's what I'm looking for: People who have gone to WDW during President's Week and have found the crowds manageable. My husband and I are both in our early-mid 50's in decent shape. We have no problem with plenty of walking across parks, etc. Anyone out there want to encourage me?

And don't take this the wrong way, but I'd prefer not to hear from people who went during President's week and hated it because of crowds. I know it will be crowded and I know that to some people, it would be horrible. What I'm looking for are the folks who have done it and came out the other side unscathed!!

Thanks -

IMO, the crowds are not that bad. Go to the parks early to get on the rides you want the most because the lines do get long. Mid-day on the weekend before President's Day were the most busy, then it died down on the weekdays that week I thought. Totally manageably, especially with no kids.

Was there over President's weekend in 2011. Stayed the whole week. It was our first trip around a holiday, and we took the grandparents for the first time. It was absolutely manageable. And the weather was incredible. Sure, the crowds were heavier than what we were used to, our previous trips had either been late September or October but with a good plan you can get in all of the things you want to. We even went back the same weekend in 2012 for 3 days. Hope you have a magical trip!! Have fun!

Wow - this was probably the smartest question I ever asked!! I've never felt so reassured.

Thank you so much - I personally think the big difference is the fact that we are alone. We actually love to get up really early to get to a park, do our thing like crazy, then head back for a lovely mid-day nap. The crowds should play right into our hands for this.

Really - thank you to all who replied. You've made me feel much better.

S

OK, so things change, and sometimes time helps us see things more clearly and make our final decision. After you were all kind enough to respond to my earlier questions, I decided to put the entire trip aside, sit back, and rethink it all. So that's what I did. And here's the post I recently added to the February 2014 thread:

Hi there. If this is the official February 2014 thread, I want to join!!!

After much discussion and research, I've pulled the trigger and booked a 25th wedding anniversary trip for me and my husband. Lots of "firsts" this time around:

First time without kids
First time staying at a "deluxe" - The Wilderness Lodge
First time going when it should be pretty un-crowded (February 1-8)

It's actually our 6th trip, but all of these "firsts" kinda make me feel like a newbie!!! I'm super excited and truly can't wait. Where would be a good place to post or search for any advice people might want to share about the aspects of this trip that I'm pretty unfamiliar with - those 3 "firsts" listed above?

FYI: We've always stayed at moderate resorts - usually the CBR. Our first couple of trips were in November - you know, that "Jersey week" when our kids have a short week of school, and the later trips were in February during our President's Week Break. The trips ranged from the time our 2 kids were pre-schoolers, until they were in high school. While they always loved the trips, in all honesty, its me and hubby who are the real Disney nuts. We're 2 very young-at-heart and in good shape 50-somethings.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!!

SQ

Yup, when I really put all the options out there and discussed it with my husband (who is a VERY easygoing guy who knows how hard these decisions are for me!!) we mutually decided that we'd pick a much less crowded week (and one in which our 25 year anniversary actually falls - February 5) and we'd do it up a little bit by upgrading to the Wilderness Lodge. After all, we're not paying for our 2 kids at all, and we're taking advantage of the good deal on the Disney Dining (which we've done in the past and really liked) and it IS our 25th wedding anniversary for goodness sakes!!

So, this definitely is going to be a different type of trip for us. And, we also have not been there in about 6 or 7 years. I'm guessing much has changed? One question - is the Cirque du Soleil show the same as it's always been? I think we've gone 3 times to the show, and I'm not sure a 4th is really necessary if it is the same. Any words of wisdom on the Wilderness Lodge now that I've committed to it (and paid my deposit - YAY!!) Also, one thing I've never been too big on are ADR's (although I know that most people recommend them.) Again, without the kids and just the 2 of us and it being a slower season, I guess I'm just hoping that we'll be able to hit most restaurants that we want. We don't have to worry about getting the best times, etc. I know that some restaurants always books up way in advance, but we're pretty "chill" about where we eat so I'm thinking we'll be ok.

So now I've got 3 months to plan and obsess and get more and more excited. Did I already say YAY?!?!?!

SQ

Well first of all, congrats on your upcoming 25th! DH and I celebrated ours last November at the BC. I do have to ask though, how you got around not going during President's Day week, as you said that was non-negotiable. Anyhow, the fact it will just be two of you, and going when you are, you should be fine without ADRs. We haven't tried the WL yet, but I know you will love the deluxe feel of it. Hope you have a wonderful anniversary!

We've been twice during Presidents Week and yes it is manageable. If you arrive at opening and you plan properly you'll be fine.

We went the week before Presidents' Day weekend and did notice a big increase in crowds as the holiday weekend approached. However, it was still very manageable and we were still able do everything we wanted. I would go again at that time, especially if my vacation schedule was limited.

Ahhh, good catch on my "non-negotiable" comment. Here's the story: I work in a school - but as a secretary, not a teacher. I've never considered taking time off other than during a school break. However, IN talking it over at length with my husband, we decided that after 25 years of marriage AND over 10 years at the school, it was worth it for me to use some time I had "accumulated" to take the trip for our actual anniversary. It's all on the up-and-up (I have days that I can use) but just feels a little odd to me. I'd always just said to myself that it was non-negotiable. It's absolutely not something I would do on an annual basis, but my husband managed to convince me that I'd earned it!!

And hey - If I'm going to spend the extra money for the WL, I want it to be the nicest, most relaxing, stress free vacation we can make it! Now that I've booked it, I really can't wait to be there - in a nice resort, with crowds that should be much lighter than I'm used to. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ME!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter