• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

President's Day Week....Is that bad?

Leeds376

Earning My Ears
Whole family is headed to WDW the week of 13-20, my mother booked the trip because we got free off site lodging and it wasn't until after it was booked did we find out that it's usually a very busy week.

So for those of you that have visited over this time period, is it really that bad? Convince me that I need to stop pulling my hair out about crowds. Something, anything at this point will help me....lol.

We have two young daughters who won't want to ride some of the more major attractions. I know that helps and we've looked at touring plans and planned which parks on which days accordingly with rope drops, fast passes etc, but now the thought of the crowds really has me worried. And after reading the Fantasmic thread that was recently posted, I'm tempted to just skip that altogether.

Thanks.

You can expect it to be busy; but manageable for you if you put a plan together. As you've mentioned with your DDs you won't visit all the main stream attractions; but there are plenty of rides in their age group that still have long lines sometimes. Going early at rope drop is also a good plan.
Take advantage of fast passes as well.
Try not to stress too much; you can't control the crowds, but with a little planning you can still have a wonderful time and make some magical memories. :goodvibes

I was there last year during President's Week the crowds were not that bad...the one thing that did get me by surprise was the weather...so stop worrying about the crowds and have a great trip...

It's difficult to compare to last year . . .last year Mardi Gras fell on the following (last week of February) we were at DW and it was crowded the last week of Feb. That is probably why President's week (3rd week of Feb) felt less crowded (Mardi Gras impacts crowds at Disney because many schools are closed and New Orlean's folks vacation to DW).
This year Mardi Gras is back on President's week; and Daytona 500 will impact crowds around Pres weekend itself.
I agree about the weather statement; wasn't as warm as we'd like, but it's always a gamble. Was definitely warmer than NE thou! :)

1) President's Week is the third busiest week of the year.
2) Expect big-time crowds.
3) The busiest weeks at WDW are
. . . #1 - Christmas Week
. . . #2 - Thanksgiving Week
. . . #3 - President's Week

We were at WDW during President's Week in 2008 and return again this year (just a few days away!). It was quite busy but managable if you have a plan, arrive early and wisely use FastPass. I am curious about the Mardi Gras effect, that was a different week in 2008, so I guess we'll see.

As the early post said, relax and enjoy yourself. We had a great time in 2008 and are very excited for our upcoming visit...hope to see you!

Relax and enjoy! We have been there President's week before and have started the day early and avoided the craziness. Honestly, We have been the week before Christmas and found the crowds much larger. DH and I found President's Day week similar to Veteran's Day week.

Go and have a great time! You can't change the crowds, don't let them stress you out on your trip!

Call me weird, but I'd rather be there with crowds than when there's no one. I went on my own in October one year and found myself doing a lot of random hanging at the resort or repeating rides just to kill time because I got through everything so quickly. It just didn't feel like Disney being so deserted.

Whole family is headed to WDW the week of 13-20, my mother booked the trip because we got free off site lodging and it wasn't until after it was booked did we find out that it's usually a very busy week.

So for those of you that have visited over this time period, is it really that bad? Convince me that I need to stop pulling my hair out about crowds. Something, anything at this point will help me....lol.

We have two young daughters who won't want to ride some of the more major attractions. I know that helps and we've looked at touring plans and planned which parks on which days accordingly with rope drops, fast passes etc, but now the thought of the crowds really has me worried. And after reading the Fantasmic thread that was recently posted, I'm tempted to just skip that altogether.

Thanks.

Hi, we were there President's week last year and are going to be there the same week this year (we are on break from school at that time). We found it to be very enjoyable.You just need to know how to plan. I thought the weather was splendid as well. Regarding crowds, I have never known it not to be crowded at the parks, and the worst day I have ever been there was Thanksgiving Day...and we just left the park and went back to the hotel and hung out. This is my first time using Ridemax as my touring plan...I am anxious to try it. Have fun and don't sweat it!

It will be very busy! We pretty much go that week every year. Get to the parks by opening and have some sort of plan. Since you are staying off-site and can't take advantage of EMH make sure you avoid the park which has EMH on those days.
Have fun! We will be there the 10-20th!!

It's difficult to compare to last year . . .last year Mardi Gras fell on the following (last week of February) we were at DW and it was crowded the last week of Feb. That is probably why President's week (3rd week of Feb) felt less crowded (Mardi Gras impacts crowds at Disney because many schools are closed and New Orlean's folks vacation to DW).
This year Mardi Gras is back on President's week; and Daytona 500 will impact crowds around Pres weekend itself.
I agree about the weather statement; wasn't as warm as we'd like, but it's always a gamble. Was definitely warmer than NE thou! :)

I loved the weather last year! We stayed at Ft. Wilderness and frankly I was nervous because the nights went down to the mid-50's but it was wonderful. We were nice and toasty. It only rained one day and just for a very short time...other than that, bright sunshine and 70's. I am sitting in 20 inches of snow here so 60's and 70's sounds great to me right about now!

At least you won't be here shoveling snow :)

Stop stressing, there is nothing you can do to change the crowds. Go with the flow, do what you can, and the most important thing is to make sure you watch J & B's face light up.

Is President's week really busier than Easter? Just curious as I have never been at Easter time.

At least you won't be here shoveling snow :)

Stop stressing, there is nothing you can do to change the crowds. Go with the flow, do what you can, and the most important thing is to make sure you watch J & B's face light up.

:rotfl:

You found me, except it's not J, it's W..... :thumbsup2

Is President's week really busier than Easter? Just curious as I have never been at Easter time.

I doubt it.

We went last year, and while it wasn't Mardi Gras at the same time, I was just as worried as you are. I also had no idea when I booked it that it was such a busy week (we had never heard of a winter break for the NE :confused3). Of course this was before I found the DIS. And finding the DIS before that trip was the best thing I could have done!!!

Like you, I had a plan. I did avoid EMH days, and DID NOT GO TO MK ON MONDAY! We got to the parks early, used FP, and did everything we wanted. I felt like a pro when back at the resort one day (after we had a full day at AK complete with the big attractions and LOTS of other stuff) and I heard a lady on her phone telling someone they had been at MK all day and were only able to get on 3 rides. By Wed when we went to MK on a non-EMH day, we were again able to do everything we really wanted and more.

Don't stress, it will really be fine. Especially since it sounds like you know what you're doing. It makes a HUGE difference!

Have a great time, I wish we'd be there with you!! :thumbsup2

It's not the busiest time of the year, but it's pretty busy. Pretty much every ride will have more then 30 minute wait times and most of those waits will be over 60 minutes.

I disagree. Spring Break is by far much busier than President's week.

Not even close. We gone during both times and Easter week is crazy. Wall to wall people and some of the parks closed because they were full. President's week is busy, but no where near as busy as Easter.

We have been the last 5 years during this week. It is busier when it corresponds with Mardi Gras, but it was still doable with a plan. People from Louisiana are also very fun to be around, so it's so much more bearable to be crowded with nice people. I was excited to see that MK is open until midnight the day we plan to go there. Last year it was suppose to close at 9 pm the day we went, and then they got on the loud speaker and announced that it was going to be open until 11 pm and they were going to have a second spectro parade. Apparently the crowds warranted that they stay open later. The funny thing is that we used a modified Unofficial Guide Touring Plan and we didn't realize the crowds were that bad. We had a blast. We were there all day from 9 am until 11 pm. We find the worst part of the day is between 1-3 pm. The crowds are crazy and so are the lines for counter service restaurants. We always start to get cranky because we are getting tired and hungry. I have found bringing some chocolate (M&M's or something), to share with everyone at this time is a nice pick me up. We also try to find something low key to do like Hall of Presidents or Carousel of Progress. I'm contemplating going off site or back to our villa for lunch this year at that time. It might be just what we need.

We go most Thanksgiving weeks and they are manageable if you do rope drop and have a good FP strategy. It also helps if you have been a few times so doing tons of stuff isn't that important. We will be there next week and just plan to chill out and hand out mardi gras beads.

little over 8 hours before Saints v Colts...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter