Premium view at DLH or Standard View at GCH

honeymo78

Don't dream it, be it
We plan on staying on points in Feb, however since we are also going to WDW in Dec we don't have a lot of points to play with. We can either do 3 nights in a premium view room at DLH or 3 nights in a standard view room at GCH. What are your thoughts?

Just you and DH? I'd do GCH. If you had little ones with you, maybe DLH would be better, roomier and more overtly Disney themed and kid-centered. But GCH is more grownup, and it's a bit closer. Just can't beat the private entrance to CA. You can always ask for a free upgrade, as well, though of course there's no guarantees.

Just my gut opinion, though; a premium DTD view at DLH would be great, too. You can't really go wrong, can you? How fun, you lucky person! :thumbsup2

We plan on staying on points in Feb, however since we are also going to WDW in Dec we don't have a lot of points to play with. We can either do 3 nights in a premium view room at DLH or 3 nights in a standard view room at GCH. What are your thoughts?

If money is of no concern in this case, and as Gail said, if there are no kids involved, I would go with GCH. It is just so convenient and beautiful of a place. Your standard view will probably be facing the other two Disney hotels. But, to also echo what Gail said, it is hard to top a premium view at DLH, which is pretty nice anyway. The walk is farther, it is less convenient. I guess it depends on how much you stay in your room. If you are the types who like to come back to the room and rest a lot, then you might enjoy that premium view. If you stay in the parks the entire day and night, then it doesn't matter too much.

Personnally, I would go for the standard room at the GCH, but I think it depends a lot on your situation. Especially in February, I don't think the view at the DLH will get you a lot. I wasn't all that thrilled with my premium view room at DLH the last time I had one. I didn't get my requested DTD view (I think because of some HSM thing going on there were lots of demand for the Dreams/Sierra DTD view). The pool view is pleasant, but not fabulouss, particularly around Feb when there are no Christmas decorations and the days are short.

Here are my thoughts on some reasons to choose GCH:
- convenience to the parks, particularly DCA, can't be beat. You can hop back to your hotel room very easily. That might be particularly nice in Feb. when you are likely to encounter some rain. (I particularly love the convenience when going with my teenager who goes out on his own a bit, especially at DCA)
- The GCH hotel and rooms are a bit nicer -- more sophisticated perhaps -- than DLH. The lobby is quite inviting.
- The hotel is a little quieter I think

On the otherhand, there are benefits to DLH, The rooms are a little bigger and the pool is very festive. This can be a big advantage if you are taking a bunch of little ones. The hotel is more "themed" and you are almost sure to encounter Goofy hanging around (that can happen at GCH as well, but not as often). There are more food options and shops. It's a fun place.

No little ones, just DH and I. There aren't fireworks in Feb during the week, right? (are there any on sun nights?) So other than looking at DTD, we really wouldn't see anything special. I know the parks close earlier in Feb, what is there to do in the evening in general - say from 8 til 10pm. I'm sure DH could find something on tv though.

in Feb, what is there to do in the evening in general - say from 8 til 10pm. I'm sure DH could find something on tv though.

DTD should still give you things to do in the evenings -- a late dinner, music, shopping, strolling, even a movie (although Feb is usually when all the worst movies come out). That's another reason to choose the GCH; its a bit more convenient to most of DTD, although the Dreams Tower is right next to one end and very convenient to the theaters, ESPN, etc.

No little ones, just DH and I [...] I know the parks close earlier in Feb, what is there to do in the evening in general - say from 8 til 10pm.

tee hee hee...

:rotfl:

hey, sorry! I am a mere 22, practically a child.

...haha, I'm so immature. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter