• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pregnant

ckuehl

Earning My Ears
Hey there,
A friend of mine is pregnant, and was planning on going on the Dream in Late August. Her doctor had said it was fine, so she didn't think anything of it. Now She has heard that the ship won't let her on. Any ideas about this? Has this happened to anyone before? How strict are they on this? What did Disney do for them? Any and all reponse are appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey there,
A friend of mine is pregnant, and was planning on going on the Dream in Late August. Her doctor had said it was fine, so she didn't think anything of it. Now She has heard that the ship won't let her on. Any ideas about this? Has this happened to anyone before? How strict are they on this? What did Disney do for them? Any and all reponse are appreciated!

Thanks!

DCL policy states that you can't have entered your 24th week of pregnancy.

If you have, they will deny you boarding. They don't have the facilities to deal with any pregnancy/prenatal problems on board.

:cutie:

Hey there,

Thanks!

How many weeks will she be when she sails? I belive the policy is that DLC will refuse her boarding if she is entering her 24 at the time of sailing.:banana:

She will be 29 weeks. Will Disney refund her? Does anyone know? She booked before she got pregnant. wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant in fact....and since her dr. said it was fine, she never questioned that the cruise company would have issues.

From the Disney Cruiseline FAQ
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...ety/pregnancy/

Question
Can I sail if I am pregnant?
Answer
Women who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date will be refused passage due to safety concerns. Neither a physician's medical statement nor a waiver of liability will be accepted. In addition, Disney Cruise Line cannot be held responsible or liable for any complications relating to pregnancy at any stage.

OK - I am not here to encourage rule breaking, but I traveled quite a bit in my last trimester (with both kids)

They were low risk pregnancies, and my kids were born full term

My Doctor approved of travel as long as it was before the last 6- 8 weeks

Now having said that - there are risks - and if you were to go into premature labor, have bleeding or another problem -- there could be grave risks to you and your unborn child. No cruise line on earth is prepared to deal with a 25-30week preemie!!

If you were to cruise or travel in general, you should understand the risks, and frankly - if you don't look too far along, I doubt that you would be questioned -

Some women don't look that pregnant at 24 weeks- esp if it is a first pregnancy. On the other hand - I looked 6 months pregnant for years after my second child was born --LOL

I would first determine how many weeks along you will be at cruise time

I would also consider where you will be and how long you are cruising for -- To me - a short cruise to Bahamas would be reasonable -- a transatlantic prob not so much ...

The pregnancy should also be without high risk - and without a history of preterm labor etc

Again - DCL has set rules, and you do take a chance by ignoring them - including being denied boarding and losing money -- but DCL is obviously concerned about liability, and is being ulta-conservative here - IMO

Maybe you could move cruise up a bit - so it is earlier ? Honestly, second trimester is prob the best time of pregancy to travel anyway!

OK - just saw that she will be 29 weeks - I assume the paid in full date is already past, right? That is getting to a fairly late stage..

I would call DCL ASAP -- see if you can transfer cruise to 6-7 weeks earlier - if your schedule allows -- I am guessing that they will cut you some slack here if you call and explain the situation

Worst case - you may lose a bit of money and could move cruise out for another year when the baby is a bit older?

Good luck ! I hope it works out!

Did you have trip insurance? You may be covered...

Keep in mind that if she transfers to a later cruise, her baby must be a minimum of 12 weeks old to cruise.

in regards to a PPs opinion (which of course they are osviously welcome to!) AND as a medical professional and for other reasons just of standard decency, just because you CAN lie about how pregnant you (or your friend in this case) is, please dont!

i totally agree that in the cases of a most likely low risk pregnancy, problems oare unlikely and, yes, DCL is indeed being probably way way too over cautious.... but god forbid something happened, well, i'm just going to say that almost every week there is some situation that crosses my path or that of a colleague in some way, and when there is a bad outcome, which is already horrible enough, often the finger gets pointed at the (in this case) OB - or say DCL doc/NP/what evs.... if something bizarre and unexpected happened, not only would the family/patient person suffer a horrible situation, but the person who tried to care for you (or whomever) would most likely be damaged as well... i'll just leave it there because i can't find words that convey what exactly i'm trying to say, just that when we think we are making a decision, whatever it may be, and that WE are assuming risk, you don't know how your decision could not only affect yourself but also others in many ways!

i sure hope your friend is able to change plans and not lose any $$$!!!

fingers crossed!!

IMHO, I definitely would not lie about it. Having spent the last part of my pregnancy in the high-risk OB unit, and meeting someone who delivered twins at just 29 weeks (one of which weighed only 16 ounces), the cruise ship is not the place to have a surprise early delivery. Her twins would not be celebrating their first birthday this week had she delivered on a cruise ship. To me, it's just not worth the risk. The ship is not equipped with a NICU of any level. Stick with the cruise ship's guideline - no doctor can predict unforeseen emergency delivery issues. Just my two cents.

It would require for her to get her doctor to lie and say she is less than 24 weeks. The reason the policy is set is to cover DCL's butt. The cut off has to do with the standard of viability of life. After that time, medically one is obligated to help if a woman was to go into labor and actually deliver this baby.

Your friend has a couple of choices; not cruising until August, she is still at a time, where she can 1) cancel and get her money back or 2) move the cruise out until after the baby is born. Just think, the cruise would be just about paid for. She could also cancel and get her money back if she so desires.

I know it is disappointing; but soon she will have her little bundle and it will all be forgotton. Being a Primip (first pregnancy); especially one with some medical issue that otherwise would have made her go through an infertility stage; she should not at all lie and take a chance.

28-29 weeks is one of those "bewitching" times for pregnancies to prove themselves. You said yourself "she was not one that was thought to be able to get pregnant"; that mean there are some underlying issues. I just would not chance it because there is a good chance she can end up, "up a stream without a paddle". I do not know if she is seeing a GP/FP or an OB/Gyn, but I know no one in my practice would ever give a previous medical infertility patient the ok to cruise or fly out of the country unless it truly was necessary. Those girls just tend to have issues at the end of the pregnancy many times.
My 2 cents! She still has time to cancel, but the clock is ticking....

I agree with all who say she should not go. Even if it was an uncomplicated pregnancy, that was naturally conceived, things happen. She could slip and fall on a wet deck, causing preterm contractions or other significant complications (going to avoid the medical terms...but really bad stuff!)

It always amazes me at how many people do not read the terms and conditions when purchasing anything from an item to a vacation.

It clearly states on all confirmation emails and mailed confirmation letters that Disney sends out about the pregnancy / infant age rules

I am sorry she wasn't aware of it but you would thing that before she paid final she would have double checked since obviously she knew at final payment that she was pregnant

It isn't only the cruise line, most airlines will not let you on the plane if you are over 24 weeks pregnant. She has to check with her airline too

If she had insurance through Disney they will let her change her date. If she didn't have insurance all she can do is beg and plead but since they have it in writing on all their confirmation letters they send about the cruise including the final payment reminder, they are legally covered to deny her boarding

She will be 29 weeks. Will Disney refund her? Does anyone know? She booked before she got pregnant. wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant in fact....and since her dr. said it was fine, she never questioned that the cruise company would have issues.

If she is outside the 75 day window (we don't know the exact sail date) she can cancel or reschedule without a penalty, unless she is booked in a Concierge cabin. Here is a link to the DCL policy on cancellations: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-price.htm#deposit

Your friend is entitled to a full refund up until 45 days before her cruise.

Full refund is available for most sailings 75 days before sailing, not 45 days as stated in the quoted post. At 74 days before sailing the cancellation policy takes effect and money will be lost. Below you will find the cancellation policy copied directly from DCL's website:

Cruise Cancellation Fees:

CATEGORIES WITH RESTRICTIONS: Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions are NON_REFUNDABLE and NON_TRANSFERABLE. A 100% cruise cancellation fee applies from time of payment.

Cruises Less Than 10 days where Embark or Debark is U.S. Port
Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount
45 days or more Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms and all staterooms on Disney Fantasy March 31, 2012 sailing
74-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge rooms, except all staterooms on Disney Fantasy March 31, 2012 sailing
44-30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest
29 to 15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

Cruises of 10 days or More and Cruises Less Than 10 days where Embark and Debark is non-U.S. Port
Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount
45 days or more Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms
89-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge rooms
44-30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

For reservations made prior to January 19, 2011, the cancellation fees assessed will be based on the cancellation fees listed on the original confirmation unless the sailing date or vacation package is modified.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/terms-and-conditions/

It always amazes me at how many people do not read the terms and conditions when purchasing anything from an item to a vacation.

It clearly states on all confirmation emails and mailed confirmation letters that Disney sends out about the pregnancy / infant age rules

I am sorry she wasn't aware of it but you would thing that before she paid final she would have double checked since obviously she knew at final payment that she was pregnant

Actually, she did NOT know she was pregnant when she booked the cruise. Her husband was supposed to be sterile, so this was a non issue. She paid for her cruise in full when she booked it. I'm sure your judgement on her and her situation will be appreciated.

To the rest of you, thank you all for your help. I've passed on the information, and since she is outside of the 75 day window, she will be cancelling her reservation.

I am glad it worked out for her --

About the airlines not letting you fly after 24 weeks - that has not been my experience -- I flew many times, and during the later stages, had a doctor's note with me just in case

Never had a problem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter