Pregnant Women In The Parks

Florida is really good about spraying against mosquitoes, Disney doubly so.

Still, I'm glad I'm past the age of having to worry.

I'm personally more concerned about this than the Zika virus. But I can see why people might be concerned about Zika if they are in the pregnancy/baby stage of their life.

So it's OK to go to Universal, but WDW is going to be bad? Why not just say Orlando theme parks and lump them all in? Why single out WDW?

We're in the world now and I'm 5 months pregnant- jungle formula appears to be working for me as we've been here 10 days now and not one bite (yet!) I second good bug spray (including fogging your room!!) and sunscreen!! It's been really muggy the last few days but I can honestly say I've not noticed bugs-yes on the ferry from the TTC but on the whole it's been good! I usually get bit badly :( even if you get bit- the chances of the specific bug having Zika is low at the mo... We're from the UK so we couldn't cancel our trip (without being out of pocket significantly) as Florida isn't on a restricted list.... Another thing to think about before cancelling!!

I'm pregnant and have a trip planned for late September. I'm just hoping that the airlines and Disney are good about refunds for families if it gets to the point where Florida is on the no-go list for pregnant women. We have a free dining package so I guess we'll have to cancel by late August - hopefully we will have a better idea of what will actually be happening in Orlando at that point. My bigger concern is with Southwest allowing my husband, son, and I to cancel our flights because I'll be 6 months preggo.

But as I live in the southeast, I feel like my risks are just as high at home as they will be at Disney. If Orlando is on the no go list, I'll be primarily worried about my husband I and just leaving our house in Maryland!

We are taking a wait and see approach to all of this, but it's really hard for even the most level headed pregnant person not to panic with all of the media hype and general unknowns about the virus.

I wore OFF to AK this weekend and didn't get a single bite. Went to pick up my son the other night, no spray. Was outside all of 10 minutes and got four bites. Mosquitos love me.

Follow your doctor's advice about travel.

I'm pregnant and have a trip planned for late September. I'm just hoping that the airlines and Disney are good about refunds for families if it gets to the point where Florida is on the no-go list for pregnant women. We have a free dining package so I guess we'll have to cancel by late August - hopefully we will have a better idea of what will actually be happening in Orlando at that point. My bigger concern is with Southwest allowing my husband, son, and I to cancel our flights because I'll be 6 months preggo.

But as I live in the southeast, I feel like my risks are just as high at home as they will be at Disney. If Orlando is on the no go list, I'll be primarily worried about my husband I and just leaving our house in Maryland!

We are taking a wait and see approach to all of this, but it's really hard for even the most level headed pregnant person not to panic with all of the media hype and general unknowns about the virus.
No one is going to ban Florida for pregnancies. What would female Florida residents do?

No one is going to ban Florida for pregnancies. What would female Florida residents do?

I know. I was just saying that if Florida ends up on a list of places pregnant women (who don't already live there) shouldn't travel, as per the CDC, I would hope that the airlines would be flexible with cancellations. I have a friend who had to cancel plans to go to Jamaica in March and she got her $ back, but did have to produce proof of pregnancy from her doc. I'm just hoping if it comes to that in Florida, the airlines would allow my entire family to back out, as they certainly aren't going without me...and my husband going would indirectly put me at risk as well. Again, trying to take a wait and see attitude, but it's hard!

Everything I can find says that there have been no confirmed native zika cases in the USA mainland.
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

Just looked and realized it was a different mosquito born illness. One that isn't getting nearly as much media coverage but is just as bad. Chikungunya. Actuall had a friend get that in PR and was in the hospital for a week due to it. The way the article was written it sounded like it was Zika because it was all about Zika then suddenly they said Chikungunya.

I heard about this last night, and for the life of me I can never remember seeing a bug in the parks. Lizards, sure. I even saw a bunny once at Epcot. But no bugs....

Except for, of course, in It's Tough to be a Bug. PHEW! Said it before someone else did. :)

Oh, man. Our group was mauled by mosquitoes in early May. The area where the benches are near the exit of BTMR was the WORST. Just awful. Two nights of that and we started soaking ourselves in DEET.

Oh, man. Our group was mauled by mosquitoes in early May. The area where the benches are near the exit of BTMR was the WORST. Just awful. Two nights of that and we started soaking ourselves in DEET.

Hmmm yeah. I suppose it depends on the time of year you go. We usually go in November. But with it being Florida do the mosquitoes really care about what month it is?

I was there May 8 to 15 and had 1 bad mosquito bite on my leg. I don't know if I made it worse because I accidentally scratched it and then nicked it when shaving.

I'm not sure what Disney will do (or Airlines for that matter) in terms of cancellation policies, but I do know that when the Zika virus started breaking out in a more widespread fashion, the majority of cruiselines (at least pretty much all of those we sell) would allow pregnant women to cancel their reservation with proof of pregnancy, and instead of losing their money, keep it as a future credit. Not as good as a refund, but better than losing it.

But then, Disney does allow cancellation with no fees until 30 days out, so I'm not sure if that would apply.

I second whoever says check with your doctor. It's a personal choice to make, but it should definitely be a well informed personal choice. The risk may be small, but it is still very much present.

I live in Central Florida, work at Disney, and am 7 months pregnant.

My doctor's office is on a high Zika alert, I get weekly emails and updates.

There is currently no increased threat for the state of Florida.

I just worked overnights last week for some of the new shows that opened, and yes, mosquitoes are worse at night. I sprayed, as did everyone else, and I still came home the next morning with 2 bites.

I'll be primarily worried about my husband I and just leaving our house in Maryland!

Hi, fellow marylander here! Congrats on your pregnancy!

I read on facebook earlier that there are 18 cases of Zika in VA, 17 in MD and 4 in DC, so it's unfortunately already here.

I'm traveling with my cousin and her two young daughters in late September - she'll be 7 months pregnant - I never even thought about this until now! :(

The only place I have ever had a bug problem at Disney is AK or AKL. I am pretty sure they spray there. And this article could be the same for any place that has a large number of out of town guest. Here in MD they are saying the same thing.

I get chewed up by mosquitoes everywhere I go and get those big welts. In the five years I've gone to Disney in August I never got bit once until last year. No lie the backs of my legs were covered in bites after watching Illuminations from a bench in France. First time it happened, but it was bad

I have to say the 15 or so times I've been to Disney I can't recall even once getting bit by a mosquito. My DH did have a few gnat bites one trip, but they keep the mosquitos pretty well under control. I can understand the worry though.

Hi, fellow marylander here! Congrats on your pregnancy!

I read on facebook earlier that there are 18 cases of Zika in VA, 17 in MD and 4 in DC, so it's unfortunately already here.

Thanks! So far all US cases have been either acquired abroad or acquired sexually by someone who had traveled abroad. I'm going to try not to worry until there is local transmission via US mosquitos :-) I guess we'll know soon enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter