Pregnant Women In The Parks

Not just pregnant, but those that may become pregnant in the near future.

Anywhooooo, the bright side to this... if the park attendance takes a decent hit due to a strong Zika presence, we could see some great promotions to entice other visitors.

Dan

Reactions: AJA
I heard about this last night, and for the life of me I can never remember seeing a bug in the parks. Lizards, sure. I even saw a bunny once at Epcot. But no bugs....

Except for, of course, in It's Tough to be a Bug. PHEW! Said it before someone else did. :)

This is a risk my wife and I are watching very closely - not just WDW, but travel to most of the Southern states this summer. We'll see what happens with the Olympics and how that impacts the spread. Then again, we're at the age of starting to grow our family, so I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Not just pregnant, but those that may become pregnant in the near future.

Anywhooooo, the bright side to this... if the park attendance takes a decent hit due to a strong Zika presence, we could see some great promotions to entice other visitors.

Dan

That goes for the potential dads as well as the potential moms too..!

This is a risk my wife and I are watching very closely - not just WDW, but travel to most of the Southern states this summer. We'll see what happens with the Olympics and how that impacts the spread. Then again, we're at the age of starting to grow our family, so I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

No need to watch the Olympics. The spread already happened. Texas has already reported it's first native non-sexual transmission. If it has happened in Texas, it is my best guess that we are days away from hearing the first native non-sexual transmission in the other southern states especially Florida.

Layer up with good sunscreen and then good bug spray.

We just had a grand rounds on arboviruses this week including Zika virus. There's actually many horrible diseases you can get from mosquitos, Zika is just the one the media is currently focusing on.

No need to watch the Olympics. The spread already happened. Texas has already reported it's first native non-sexual transmission. If it has happened in Texas, it is my best guess that we are days away from hearing the first native non-sexual transmission in the other southern states especially Florida.

Fair enough - we're live in the Northeast and don't plan on heading much further south than Rhode Island this summer (we are going north to visit Canada!). I just have a morbid curiousity to see how it spreads where the carrier mosquitoes are not native. Aedes aegypti mosquitoes aren't forecast to go much further north than CT (at least on the East Coast) and they're more likely to spread/carry the virus vs albopictus.

zika_maps_statenames_graphic.jpg

Edit To Add:
Layer up with good sunscreen and then good bug spray.

We just had a grand rounds on arboviruses this week including Zika virus. There's actually many horrible diseases you can get from mosquitos, Zika is just the one the media is currently focusing on.

That's a great point, there are some awful diseases spread by mosquitoes - but, I'm not sure how many can affect unborn children or are spreadable via unprotected sexual contact. These last 2 points are particularly relevant to folks looking to have children in the next year or so, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Fair enough - we're live in the Northeast and don't plan on heading much further south than Rhode Island this summer (we are going north to visit Canada!). I just have a morbid curiousity to see how it spreads where the carrier mosquitoes are not native. Aedes aegypti mosquitoes aren't forecast to go much further north than CT (at least on the East Coast) and they're more likely to spread/carry the virus vs albopictus.

zika_maps_statenames_graphic.jpg

Looks like you'll be safe then. I have to travel to FL at some point and Texas as well so I figure if I'm suppose to get it then its going to happen. Also the mosquitoes that carry it are currently in the state I live in so no matter what unless i board up my windows and stay inside all summer Zika will be a possibility. Thankfully I'm not planning to start a family in the next year.

Florida is really good about spraying against mosquitoes, Disney doubly so.

Still, I'm glad I'm past the age of having to worry.

Or, for those who aren't pregnant, go to Florida. Spend some unprotected time in a swamp so that you DO get it. After a week or so you'll feel better and you'll have immunity to it. Wait a few months before starting your family. Just because someone is of childbearing age is no reason to avoid going. Just don't get pregnant for a few months afterwards.

I was reading on these forums this past week that the mosquitos have been pretty bad at AK at night. I never really noticed them during the day. Can anyone comment on mosquitos at AK vs other parks especially at night?

My daughter will be 6 months pregnant for our planned July trip. Considering we live in Texas and we've been having flooding, she might be safer at Disney World.

I've seen bugs of every type including mosquitos on the ferries and we've also seen the rare one at the resorts. Disney can't 100% guarantee that none will be on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter