Pregnant in Disney?

Duck143

DIS Veteran
Hi Ladies, how is it being newly pregnant in Disney? Do you find that you can't do the things you wish you could? Do you get more tired and achy from all the walking? Please share.

I found out I was pregnant with my son the week before we left for Disney. It was a HUGE surprise for us. I was only 6 weeks along when we were at Disney. To be honest I had a miserable time. I was super tired, feeling sick and I also ended up in the urgent care with a UTI. I was able to ride most everything with the exception of the rollercoasters.

I was one month pregnant when I went. I had a terrible pregnancy for the whole time, but WDW was rough. I was nauseaous, tired and had cravings for crumb cake.

My cousin went 5 months preggo and had a great time.

I was about 8 weeks pregnant on our last trip and had a great time. My stomach was a little uneasy, so I skipped some of the snacks that I'd usually indulge in on vacation, and I hated skipping the sushi at California Grill and the ice wine at Artist Point, but other than that it was no different than any other trip. My OB gave me the green light on most rides (Mission Space:Orange and RnR were the only ones she advised me to avoid), so the food/drink restrictions were much more bothersome than the ride restrictions. That was a January trip, though. It likely would have been a much more challenging experience in July.

I was 7-8 weeks along last September (a surprise for us as well). It was sooooo hot, and I did feel pretty bad, but I still had a good time. I talked to my doctor and rode a lot of things, but I skipped Space Mtn.--so rough and Mission Space and teacups since the carousel made me a little woozy. I rode the Safari, but I was very uncomfortable and wishing I hadn't the entire time. The road is rough anyway, but we had a driver who seemed intent on hitting all the roughest parts and braking and accelerating very abruptly. I guess he thought he was giving everyone a good ride, but I could have done without it.

The frozen lemonade got me through the rough times:thumbsup2 Super cold and when I'm pregnant, the tart seems to help with nausea. And, I was going to feel pretty lousy wherever I was, so might as well have been WDW:thumbsup2

I kept some carby snacks near the bed for first thing in the morning. That was the hardest time for me, and there was no way I could wait for breakfast.

Just try to take it easy, rest when you need to, eat when you need to, and drink plenty of fluids. You're at Disney World, how bad can it be?

I went at 7 and 1/2 months pregnant and still had a blast but I have had a pretty easy pregnancy with sickness and stuff. There were big rides that I avoided but I often avoid them anyway because my husband is scared of heights and doesn't like roller coasters. So it really wasn't that bad. My only problem was that my feet really hurt but they got better as the week went on! We also went to Typhoon Lagoon and had a blast!

The first time I was preggo at WDW I had no clue I was even pregnant and did anything and everything I wanted - I was around 12 weeks pg. During the second pregnancy we went when I was around 12 weeks and again around 7.5 months and when it was still relatively cool. Later in the pregnancy I had to slow down a bit, skip the thrill rides and stay hydrated but other than that it was park touring as usual. I had pretty easy pregnancies and was low-risk so I didn't experience any problems.

The biggest tip I always give to anyone going during a pregnancy is talk with your doctor to alleviate any fears or concerns you might have. Stay hydrated, don't push yourself, slow down some and listen to your body. And of course.... enjoy!!!

All those responses, and not one of us said it, so .. . .

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Is this your first?

Being a Mom is the best experience of my life, I wish you a healthy pregnancy and a healthy, happy baby!

I will be a little over 5 months pregnant with my first child when we go for our upcoming trip in December. I am hoping to enjoy all the rides, except the mountains/roller coaster, as well as the food. I know it will be cool, so that should help as well. I have not talked to my doctor about it yet,but I guess I should on my next visit. I am worried she will tell me not to go?!?!:confused: But, I am sure it will be fine. I am glad I saw this and will be looking for more advice. Thanks...

When I was really little during a two week trip, my mom found out IN DISNEY that she was pregnant! Talk about best day ever! Mom and Dad got Cinderalla to tell me during breakfast at CRT. I was eight and had been asking for a sibling since I could talk. She had been riding everything for our whole trip and was a little concerned but everything turned out fine. We got home and turns out she was already over two months pregnant! Just talk to your doctor and you will have a blast (without having to worry)

12 years later I took my sister to Disney World for her birthday. :) It felt very full circle for me.

I will be a little over 5 months pregnant with my first child when we go for our upcoming trip in December. I am hoping to enjoy all the rides, except the mountains/roller coaster, as well as the food. I know it will be cool, so that should help as well. I have not talked to my doctor about it yet,but I guess I should on my next visit. I am worried she will tell me not to go?!?!:confused: But, I am sure it will be fine. I am glad I saw this and will be looking for more advice. Thanks...

We are leaving this weekend, and I will be 20 weeks pregnant. My Dr. Said it was fine to go as I don't have any problems. She did suggest since we are flying to get a pair of those socks/stockings that help with circulation for the flight.

I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant after coming back from a Disney trip! Obviously that was a huge surprise for us. I did everything, but had I known I was pregnant I would have taken more precautions. We joke that DS is so energetic because he'd been on rollercoasters before he was born. I do remember being more hungry than usual during that trip and soft pretzels being a life saver.

We leave in 3 weeks and I'll be 25-26 weeks pregnant and am hoping that October weather will be kind. My plan is to fully enjoy F&W and consider having a wheel chair if it gets too hard for me to walk (I have a rotated sacrum/pelvis that becomes increasingly more painful as the pregnancy progresses).

Congratulations and here's to a happy and healthy nine months!

I am just about 13 wks pregnant and going on Sunday. Fortunitly I didn't have any morning sickness and I am feeling pretty good, just a little tired. I plan on taking it easy and avoiding the big thrill rides like the mountains/TOT/ RNR and Star Tours. I have read they suggest not to do the safari but I really want to go on it. From what I remember its not much bumpier than driving on a back road in our blazer!

I am just about 13 wks pregnant and going on Sunday. Fortunitly I didn't have any morning sickness and I am feeling pretty good, just a little tired. I plan on taking it easy and avoiding the big thrill rides like the mountains/TOT/ RNR and Star Tours. I have read they suggest not to do the safari but I really want to go on it. From what I remember its not much bumpier than driving on a back road in our blazer!

Not to open a big can of worms but I rode safari when I was 7.5 months pregnant. I asked for a seat towards the front since that does seem to be a little less bumpy than the back of the vehicle. I had talked with my OB and all of the roads between my house and work were under construction and most had varying widths of asphalt so they were very bumpy, made me feel like I was on the safari every day when at home (only with orange barrel shaped animals instead of cute giraffes).

I went in January and I was 28 weeks pregnant. The cool weather was a livesaver. I didn't ride any rollercoasters, or the safari (I remembered how bumpy it was), I ate a bunch and we rode the TTA A LOT and we had a great time. I loved shopping for him!
I'd go again pregnant, but I want to go again NOT pregnant before I go again pregnant...Make sense? :rotfl: I did miss my favorite rides but it didn't kill me to skip them for my baby's safety.

You'll have a great time and congrats!!

I will be about 15 weeks pregnant when we go. It should be the perfect time to go if my morning sickness is over by then. If this pregnancy is like previous ones, I will be so hungry, it's crazy. DW is a great place to be hungry at, but I'm worried I'll gain 20 pounds in 10 days, so I'll have to be careful! :rotfl:

I won't be very big yet, and I'm just hoping I'll have the energy to get around.

I'd be interested in a compiled list of rides that are definitely a no no and ones that are iffy and opinions on the iffy ones.

MK
Space Mountain - no
Splash Mountain - no
BTMR - no
any others?

Epcot
Mission Space - no
Test Track - no?
any others?

DHS
RNR - no
TT - no
others?

AK
EE - no
Safari - ?
others?

I went last Dec while 8.5 months pregnant and aside from not being able to ride a few things, it didn't affect me. I had an easy pregnancy and continued to swim, do yoga etc. It varies a lot depending on you and your pregnancy.

MK
Space Mountain - no
Splash Mountain - no
BTMR - no
any others?

Officially, the speedway is the only other one that a warning. I don't think I'd be too worried about that one, but none of us like that ride so we skip it anyway.

Epcot
Mission Space - no
Test Track - no?
any others?

Maelstrom has a more gently worded warning; "Expectant mothers may not wish to ride" rather than the "Expectant mothers should not ride" that you'll find on the thrill rides. I rode it at 8 and 16 weeks pregnant without issue or discomfort. There's really nothing to it, I don't think it is any rougher than Pirates.

DHS
RNR - no
TT - no
others?

Star Tours also has a warning, but I'm not sure the ride is rough enough to deserve it. Again, something I rode at 8 and 16 weeks pregnant. I'd advise steering clear if your stomach is at all uncertain, though; I was pretty much over morning sickness by my first pregnant trip at 16wks, but that ride was enough to make me queasy for about an hour. It never bothers me not pregnant, but pregnant, something about the motion turns my stomach. (Oddly enough, Mission Space:Green had no such effect :confused3).

AK
EE - no
Safari - ?
others?

AK is actually the park with the most rides with warnings - Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, and Primeval Whirl, in addition to EE and the safari.

I can definitely understand the warning on Dinosaur; I rode at 8 wks pregnant, but wouldn't have at any point once I was showing because you do get jostled around and the restraints can get uncomfortable. Kali is a little more gray area, but again I think the bouncing against the lap restraint would be uncomfortable for a woman who was showing even a little. Primeval Whirl I really can't say much about; I can't tolerate rides that are mainly spinning even when I'm not pregnant, so I've never tried it.

As far as the safari goes, I drive rougher roads on a fairly regular basis so I didn't hesitate to ride that one while pregnant. If it is safe enough for infants (there is no height restriction), I think it is a good bet that the pregnancy warning is strictly a CYA disclaimer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter