Pregnant for our March '15 cruise

BGsMommy

Earning My Ears
I have a question. I will be 22w4d on the day our ship heads out of Miami. I know DCL's policy about "cannot currently be 24 weeks or entering 24th week of pregnancy".. so, if I will be on the 5 day cruise (Sunday-Friday) and I turn 23 weeks on Wednesday we are on the boat, am I still in the clear? I know people calculate it differently. To me, entering your 24th week is when you hit 24 weeks and 0 days. But I know some people say once you hit 23 weeks you are entering your 24th week. Didn't know if I just need to say I'm 22 weeks (and drop those few days) or if saying I'm 22 1/2 is okay.

I don't have any insider knowledge but I would think of it the same way you do: 24 weeks starts at week 24, not week 23 leading in to 24. Plus it is "as of your embarkation date". So even if you did hit 24 weeks when on the cruise, it wouldn't matter.

The semantics of calculating is really up to you and your doctor. The bottom line is that the ship is unable to care for any pregnancy-related complications that may arise, and completely unable to sustain the life of an premature birth at that stage. You will also need to make sure travel insurance will cover pregnancy, as not all will. Whether you are 23 weeks, 24 weeks, or 25 weeks -- based on how you calculate it -- it's all very close. Please consider the RISKS rather than the counting of weeks. Please discuss it with your OB.

Enjoy your cruise -- be that when you are pregnant or with a little one!

I cruised at 20 weeks pregnant and I needed a note from my doctor confirming my due date, this was for Carnival. This was four years ago. Not sure if Disney requires something similar.

I've cruised twice when pregnant, the first at just 6 weeks, and the second time I was 22 weeks pregnant. I brought a doctor's note with me stating my due date and that I wouldn't be in my 24th week on the ship and they barely glanced at it when I checked in. You will be fine! I was told before that you could be 23 weeks and 6 days on the day you leave and still be ok.

Thanks everyone :) DCL's policy as far as I can tell is just signing their contract which attests that I won't be 24 weeks pregnant at cruise time. Pretty sure I'm good to go. I just get overly worried sometimes ha. :)

I've always had it explained as, for example, when you are born you are "entering" your first week of life. So, at the end of the first week you are 1 week old, and "entering" your second week of life.

Meaning that, using whatever date they are using for the conception date (yes, I know it's not exact), if you have completed 23 weeks since conception, you are now entering your 24th week.

DCL policy is that you cannot have entered your 24th week, or be entering your 24th week during the cruise.

Since you are so close to where ever the line is drawn, I'd suggest that you contact DCL and get a clarification as to how they view it. And I'd suggest asking for that clarification from a supervisor, preferably in writing, as many CMs answering the phones will pretty much tell you what they think you want to hear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter