Pregnant, Best time to take the baby...

StepInTime

Mouseketeer
Looking for opinions...

I'm pregnant & my due date is April 20. He'll be our first. When in 2009 would be the best time to take him? Right now we're thinking late September or early December.

TIA

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I wouldn't take a baby at all. If I had older kids I would definately take the baby, but just to take the baby, I personally wouldn't.

I agree with the pp.If you are set on taking the baby wait till they are about 8 or 9mos .I could see if you were taking extended family or other kids, but it seems like a lot of work with a brand new baby.The only thing Iwanted to do as a brand new mom ( for like the first 6 mos) was get a decent nights sleep.:goodvibes

Wait until the baby is about a year old to make that first memorable trip. We just took our 13 month old and he had the best time. There is just too much to bring with a smaller infant and it will drive you nuts! At least when they are a bit older and more mobile it is easier. You still have the diapers and bottles, etc. but I think they have a better time and so do you as parents if they are more aware of what is going on and nothing is better than having your one year old just keep saying WOW over and over again when he/she sees the Castle for the first time...priceless:)

We took DS for his first trip at 6 months. Although he doesn't remember a darn thing, it was very cool to see him interact with Pooh and Friends at Crystal Palace (those are my favorite pictures of him!!!!), as well as just gaze at everything in Small World and he obviously enjoyed the fireworks (thanks to some Peltor Kids ear muffs.)

If you can, travel with other family members (grandparents, for example) who would LOVE to spend time with your baby while you and daddy get a few hours alone, too. You can also take advantage of Kids Night Out, if you are comfortable, for a nice dinner out. We used them when DS was 14 months and they were great!!!

I would plan your trip for when after your baby is sleeping through the night and you have mastered breast feeding, if that is your feeding method of choice. I will say it was soooooo much easier for us traveling when DS was 6 months vs 14 months. He napped much easier in the stroller, slept soundly though the night and most importantly, was not mobile! I wquld also shoot for Dec. It will be very moderate temps (although it can be cold!) and the lights for the holidays will certainly catch baby's attention. You can also take advantage of getting a few great photos with Santa in Epcot!

Good luck and congrats! I am adding some pics of him at his 6 month visit. Again, he doesn't remember it, but the memories for us are great and the pictures are my favorite!

DS on Small World
ry%3D400

At MVMCP
ry%3D400

At Osborne Lights
ry%3D400

With Tigger at CP....all the characters LOVED on him!
ry%3D400

From experience when YOU are comfortable with everything. The first is always and eye opener. We have left babies with grandparents for trips but have also taken trips with one that was 6 weeks old for us not a big deal. I know that when they are so little that dont remember a thing but at that point its not always for them but for yourself.

We don't have kids yet but soon hopefully! We don't know when we'll take our first, we'll wait until he/she gets here and see what kind of baby he/she is. However, we always say that we will bring them as a baby to Disney. We say this because we go to Disney 2-3 times per year now. When our child is a baby we won't be going for the child, but for ourselves! So if you are comfortable taking the baby that is all that matters!

We took DS who was born in April 2007 at the end of September that year, it was a lot of fun and he was very portable which was nice. We'll be taking DS and DD who is due in March at the end of October this year, and possibly in September as well for a few days.

I had no problem taking a 5 almost 6 month old to Disney and he had a ton of fun, so I'm not worried about doing it again with a 6 month old. They are just so easy to plop into a carrier and go at that stage, we also loved the baby care centers. We also knew we would have to take it a bit slower then if we weren't with a baby, but that wasn't a big deal to us since we've never been commandos. We did end up going back to the room in the middle of the day fairly frequently for downtime though.

That being said, I won't go in summer because of the heat and huge crowds and I won't really want to take a baby younger then 4 months or so, but that is just personal comfort level.

We are going in May and will be taking our DS who is due March 23. We are going for DD, but it will be easy to have a little one that is so portable.

Thanks for all the opinions! We obviously aren't going for the baby, but we need to get away. We can't go before he's born because my pregnancy is too high risk. Also we may or may not have grandpa along depending on he schedule:confused3

I would plan your trip for when after your baby is sleeping through the night and you have mastered breast feeding, if that is your feeding method of choice. I will say it was soooooo much easier for us traveling when DS was 6 months

:rotfl: DD3 still doesn't sleep through the night...well, sometimes.

DD's been to Disney 4 times.

Our first time with her was 9 months. It was fine, and we all had a blast! (2nd was 18 months, 3rd was 2.5 and 4th was 2.9). We'll be going again when our coming soon baby will be 5.5 months (in early december). It'll be perfect because the baby will be old enough to show facial expressions and laugh, but young enough to still be exclusively breastfed.

From experience when YOU are comfortable with everything. The first is always and eye opener. We have left babies with grandparents for trips but have also taken trips with one that was 6 weeks old for us not a big deal. I know that when they are so little that dont remember a thing but at that point its not always for them but for yourself.

Since DW posted under my SN and I'm now subscribed to this thread... Here's my 2 cents. LOL

Family of six has the best advice! When you are comfortable! The trip isn't all about the childs enjoyment, you need to enjoy the experience and the childrens experience.

I would go around Halloween! Both of my children went at least twice before their first birthday. There is no reason not to take them.

We just found out we are expecting on Christmas and we are planning on taking our baby on a 14 night transatlantic DCL cruise and then for a week in London and Paris and to DLRP when he/she is approx 7 months old in April 2010. It might be ambitious but we already had the trip planned and unless we have a reason to cancel (Baby's health not good enough etc.) we are going to go. I'd rather be on a cruise than home. The memories might be for the parents alone but that's ok in my book. It is still an amazing opportunity to experience as a family.

You can't go wrong with October or December. Both are wonderful times in the world. If you go into it knowing you have to be flexible than I think you can have a wonderful trip.

first off, CONGRATS!! I'm also due in april, the 16th, so I've been wondering the exact same thing. I'd say if we had to choose between september or december I would go with december bc it won't be as hot and alot of pediatricians don't recommend sunscreen on baby's under 6 months old, not to mention all of the beautiful christmas decorations will be up. DH and I decided on mid-december of 2010 bc next fall we will be going with DH's entire family to Europe and thought that would be alot of traveling to do the first year. Our family thinks we are crazy for wanting to take her to the world so young when she won't remember any of it, but as we always tell them, its not about her remembering, we will remember the looks on her face and all those great memories!!

First of all congrats, I'm pregnant with my 4th (1st boy though!) and we'll be taking his royal highness at about 8 mo's old. We are going with a group of 16, he'll be the youngest, the rest of the "kids" are 7, 9, 10, 12 & 15.. I'm not to worried, lots of arms to pass the baby around if he gets crabby.. This will be a more leisurely trip than our past 2, I was so COMMANDO and we had a list and did everything on it, gone are those days!! :lmao:

Have fun whatever you decide, please take into account though that people have reported some major sickness outbreaks this December.. but September can still be pretty darn hot!!!

I am due April 28th and we have a trip planned for late Sept. I have taken a baby before and it was since. I am not sure if it would be worth it if that was the onlt child though. I have three others that will have a blast while I am feeding the baby and she is taking naps!

We had DS in April, and our first trip with him was Oct. He's since been 5 times, and is not yet 2. I would avoid Sept only because with the heat, it can be hard on a little one. Dec would be much better. At that age, DS loved the Christmas lights at DHS, and generally was very easy to take around. He liked the parades, liked the rides (esp. IASW), liked the characters, and was very happy overall.

Thanks for all the opinions! We obviously aren't going for the baby, but we need to get away. We can't go before he's born because my pregnancy is too high risk. Also we may or may not have grandpa along depending on he schedule:confused3

As a person that took my 6-week old DD to Disney in August 2000, let me tell you it can be fun....but a lot of work to keep the baby comfortable during the heat. We had this trip scheduled way before I even got pregnant. I even brought her plane ticket months before she was born. I would say.....age of the baby aside.....go during the cooler months. I would not have taken her so young if she did not have an older sibling and I regret picking the hottest month to go there.

Baby swaping takes up alot of touring time, but we did it....and had a good time. For my next two kids, I waited until they were at least two before I took them down.

It does not take much to entertain a 6-week old...so that was fine. It's just the stiffling heat and humidity....my poor baby....ugh!

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter