• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pregnant at Disney

hiddenj

Mouseketeer
My entire family (13 of us) has a special trip planned for next october. t is my mom's 60th birthday and 10th anniversary, so she is taking the entire family. I will be there 4-6 days (I haven't decided how long we are staying). Dh and I are planning to get pregnant this spring. Our original intention was to wait long enough, so that I wouldn't be more than 30 weeks along, but I would love to try a month earlier. Has anyone been at around 34weeks? (I see my doctor in 2 weeks and will ask if I would even be allowed to go. ) What was your experience like? How would it differ from going at 30 weeks? If you had medical clearance, would you go? Both airlines that I would fly will let me travel at that point (1 hr flight).

I'm not sure exactly where you are, other than a 1 hour flight, but I was told by my doctor at 32 weeks, I think, not to be beyond a 1 hour drive from the hospital. I wasn't even supposed to go to my parent's house by that point. (I broke the rules by one week for a work trip, but was still within 3 hours.)

I would not go to WDW at 34 weeks pregnant. I was not that comfortable by that point and October can still be a very warm month in FL. That being said, you have no idea if you will actually be that far along in a pregnancy since there's no way to tell how long it will take to actually get pregnant so I would not cancel plans yet. Good luck TTC :)

I have always gone early in my pregnancies (4-6 months). There is no way I could manage at 30+ weeks. I am 26 weeks now and cannot stand for more than 15-30 minutes before my right leg goes numb. I've had this problem w/all 3 pregnanies.

Everyone is different. There's just no way to know.

Personally I would never try to "plan" my pregnancy around a trip. You never know if you will get pg the 1st month or if it will take 2 years (speaking from experience here).

Agree on all accounts... I went at 20 weeks and was fine, but can't imagine going after 30 weeks.

Also, I would never assume that I was going to be pregnant and plan it like that. It took 5 years for us to get pregnant with our daughter. It would have been nice to just say yeah, I am going to get pregnant in June, but it just doesn't happen all that often. Good luck to you!

I think we will just wait the additional month just in case. The trip is planned and booked, we were just trying to decide when to start given the worst case scenario of how pregnant I would be on the trip. Part of my reasoning is that I don't know how long it will take. It would be very easy for me to say that it most likely won't happen the first month anyway, but that doesn't mean it won't, so it sounds like I would be better off waiting the additional month, which is the feeling I was getting anyway. I really do think that when a trip is this important to someone, it is okay to plan around it. I plan to skip a couple of months in the summer (if I'm not pregnant already), so that I won't be in my first trimester when I go. I cannot control when I get pregnant while trying, but I can fairly reliably avoid it when I need to in order to enjoy my trip.

Everyone is different... I would purchase trip insurance and that way you can cancel. To me, disney I can do anytime, but pregnancy is not to be taken as lightly. No matter what, you will have a fun filled 2008... Disney on the horizon and a possible new baby! it is all magical! :) Again, good luck!!

I think we will just wait the additional month just in case. The trip is planned and booked, we were just trying to decide when to start given the worst case scenario of how pregnant I would be on the trip. Part of my reasoning is that I don't know how long it will take. It would be very easy for me to say that it most likely won't happen the first month anyway, but that doesn't mean it won't, so it sounds like I would be better off waiting the additional month, which is the feeling I was getting anyway. I really do think that when a trip is this important to someone, it is okay to plan around it. I plan to skip a couple of months in the summer (if I'm not pregnant already), so that I won't be in my first trimester when I go. I cannot control when I get pregnant while trying, but I can fairly reliably avoid it when I need to in order to enjoy my trip.

I think that's a smart decision. You're right, this is a very important trip since it's a big birthday and lots of people traveling so I think it's more than reasonable to consider a possible pregnancy. Just as it may take a few months or years to get pg, it very well might happen right away (did for me). I think it's smart too to try not to be in the first trimester. We had a trip planned and I was 6-7 weeks pg and I felt horrible the whole trip. I pushed myself but I would have had a much better time if I had gone in my second trimester. Good luck :)

I have been lucky enough to have two very healthy pregnancies and I love to travel, but I personally did not feel comfortable traveling anywhere past 25 weeks or so. I've heard way too many stories of micro-premmies who are born before 30 weeks and have had a handful of friends who have gone into premature labor resulting in long term bedrest. Even though it is highly unlikely that something like this would happen, I did not feel comfortable being so far from home when having the baby was even a possibility.

That said, I did travel to WDW twice during my recent pregnancy, once in the first trimester and once in the second trimester. Even though I felt pretty good at home during my first trimester, I was surprised at how tired I was at WDW. Poor DH had to drag our 2 yo DD and I back to the room on several afternoons to put both of us down for naps ;) . On our second trimester trip, I felt great! I was around 20 weeks or so and had a ton of energy. The only time that I didn't feel well on that trip was when I over ate one afternoon at a buffet!

I leave two weeks from today, and I'll be 31 weeks, so I'll let you know!

Then again...I am still coaching figure skating four days a week, so I have been pretty active my whole pregnancy. So I guess it depends how fit you are. If you do get pregnant right away, and still want to take the trip, maybe make sure to do lots of walking prior to the trip, so you are used to it.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Everyone is different... I would purchase trip insurance and that way you can cancel. To me, disney I can do anytime, but pregnancy is not to be taken as lightly. No matter what, you will have a fun filled 2008... Disney on the horizon and a possible new baby! it is all magical! :) Again, good luck!!

I would be careful with the trip insurance thing! We are trying for our third baby and have a trip planned in April. We were thinking we could just use the trip insurance and cancel if I become pg prior to the trip ( I have really rough pgs but it also takes me forever to get pg so I can't plan around whether I will be or won't be) However when I called on the insurance they said that pregnancy is not covered as a reason to cancel. Even if you were pg and doc put you on bedrest! So be careful if you plan around that theory!

I am sorry, I missed the part about it being the 60th birthday... sorry about that...

But reading what others have said... My friend was on bed rest since 14 weeks. (She delivered yesterday! 21 weeks on bed rest!) That said... we did IUI a week and a hlaf before leaving on a cruise. sadly that one didn't take... but we couldn't plan our life around it anymore seeing how hard it was.

There are so many what if's... I would, if it were me... book the vacation, pay the extra money for insurance for flight and trip, and play it by ear! With any luck you will be healthy, active and in perfect health and in the happiest place on earth! :)

Just wanted to chime in and tell you of one of our friend's experience. We just got the email 2 days ago from them. They took their 3 yr old dd to WDW this thanksgiving and mom was 28.5 weeks. Three days into thier trip she started having contractions and had to be admitted to a local hospital where they tried for days to stop her labor. She delivered a 2lb 11oz baby boy 2 days ago. She is still in florida with the baby in the nicu and her husband is travelling back and forth from Indiana. The dr says the baby might have to stay until his due date of early february.

Moral of the story, you just never know. Babies have a way of surprising everyone!

I went to WDW at 35 weeks and had a blast (in early October)!!! Flight from Michigan was fine - remember to walk and drink lots of water even on the flight. We took our 2 1/2 year old DS and had a blast!! I took my time and didn't rush through anything. Even went on the safari at AK. I had a check up from my doctor (took a note from him just in case the airline had questions) the day before we left and he said have a great time. We walked for a week and I was VERY lucky to have no swelling. I knew the local hospital numbers and was prepared, but no problems at all. While it's not for everyone, going at that late stage was incredible and I wouldn't change it for the world. I saw WDW from a different perspective and actually relaxed a bit while there. Normally our trips are rush rush to see/do everything.
We went back this year with our now 3 1/2 year old DS and 11 month old DD and it was much harder than being 8 months pg!!!

A few trips ago, I was 27 weeks pregnant at WDW. It was a very relaxing trip, to say the least. (My bottom became friends will all the benches in every park..hehehe.) It was nice to just sit down and watch people. I gave out directions for people looking for a particular ride or how to get to a restauraunt, etc. My husband and daughter kept saying that they felt bad leaving me so much, but I enjoyed it.

If you're not looking to do too much, you should be fine. But I, personally, wouldn't go after 28 weeks.

My SIL went at 36 weeks two years ago. At that point, DN was almost 2, so she had a handful there already. My mom was freaked out the entire time, worrying that something would happen, but I think SIL was fine. I think a big problem was coming home and having the holidays happen right away (they went in early-mid December).
I know many people don't get pregnant on their first try, but I did this time! Trust me, we didn't think it would happen, but I am kinda glad as I am out of the first trimester for this trip, although I am still exhausted. I also was pregnant last trip, but earlier along (about 8 weeks).
Good luck whatever you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter